PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Condensed milk

Options
I have a can of condensed milk and a can of evaporated milk in my cupboard.

I know these can both be used for loads of recipes but I can't find any!! I would really like to use up both cans and have ample supplies of most other stuff that might be needed.

Any ideas please!!! And squeaks before you mention it I have checked the index threads... infact I am still checking....

thank you...
oooh look only about 220 posts and I got round to doing my Avatar already!!

Comments

• carol_a_3
    carol_a_3 Posts: 1,104 Forumite
    Options
    The only time I used condensed milk was to make coconut ice for my daughter's school fete.

10tbsp condensed milk
    17oz (475g) sieved icing sugar
    9oz (250g) desiccated coconut
    few drops red or green colouring

Mix together the milk and sugar. Stir in the coconut and knead well. Divide mixture in half. Knead one half well and place into a buttered tin. Add colour to the remainder and knead well. Top with the remaining mixture. Leave to set and cut into squares. Makes around 45 pieces.

I think you can also cook it in the tin and make fudge but I've never tried that and I would hate for it to blow up on you!

Evaporated milk I usually just tip over sliced banana or tinned peaches!
  • calleyw
    calleyw Posts: 9,854 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Make a yummy milk chocolate cake with the evaporated milk.

Link here to the good old be-ro site.

My mum use to make it and it is very nice and keeps moist for days. As long as you can keep in it the tin long enough. LOL!!!!!!!!!!!

Yours

Calley
    Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin
  • cardtart_2
    cardtart_2 Posts: 1,140 Forumite
    Options
    how about a rice pudding????
    bye hoo
  • janinefulton
    Options
    If you boil the tin of condensed milk for about 3 hours (make sure the tin stays submerged) it will turn into the lovely toffee you need for banoffee pie. Just use to top a pie crust and then top with slices bananas are cream..Mmm
  • Kippsy
    Kippsy Posts: 259 Forumite
    Options
    Those all sound delish!! perseverance has paid off and so I recipe ideas from the huge index thread collection!

I would love to make it into rice pudding.... I'm dribbling now! But I bought the cans back in a time when I could drink milk, and OH can't stand rice pudding (there is obviously something wrong with him but I still love him :D)

Think I might try the choc cake recipe... might be able to get away with just "sampling" it... for quality control purposes of course!! :D

Just edited to say my Mum used to mash bananas with evap when I was poorly with tonsilitis as a kid... my fave! And evap and tinned peaches were a fave pudding in our house although when I suggested that to my boyfriend he looked at me like I was crazy for being so excited about tinned peaches...

edited again to say I will be posting off my cheque for a Be-Ro recipe book today!!
    oooh look only about 220 posts and I got round to doing my Avatar already!!
  • Pal
    Pal Posts: 2,076 Forumite
    Options
    Evap is excellent just poured over things - fruit, crumbles, pies, women...

Put the condensed milk, unopened, in a large pan of boiling water that completely covers it (so it doesn't explode), and leave it to simmer for 2-3 hours. Drain the water and leave until completely cool.

When you open it you have excellent toffee which can go on fruit, crumbles, pies, women...

(Edit: get distracted for a minute then everyone else posts before I can finish mine off!)
  • trace-j
    trace-j Posts: 783 Forumite
    Options
    My mum makes custard using half milk half evaporated milk that is delish. You can also make mousse using a cold can of evaporated milk and jelly.
    :idea:I got an idea, an idea so smart my head would explode if I even began to know what I was talking about:idea:
  • calleyw
    calleyw Posts: 9,854 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Pal wrote:
    Evap is excellent just poured over things - fruit, crumbles, pies, women...

Put the condensed milk, unopened, in a large pan of boiling water that completely covers it (so it doesn't explode), and leave it to simmer for 2-3 hours. Drain the water and leave until completely cool.

When you open it you have excellent toffee which can go on fruit, crumbles, pies, women...

I had to read that again and yes you did say women. Sexist, what about over men.

Yours

Calley
    Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin
  • ancasta_2
    Options
    im gonna have a try of the toffee me thinks, ive wanted to try it for years but never have.

knowimg my luck it will explode, no matter how careful i am
  • Allexie
    Allexie Posts: 3,460 Forumite
    Options
    With the condensed milk.......

Dead Easy Lemon Cheesecake (no cooking and freezes well)

4 oz digestive biscuits
    2 oz butter
    1 oz demerara sugar
    8oz cream cheese (Philly!)
    Quarter pint double cream
    Small can condensed milk
    4 tablespoons lemon juice

Bash biscuits in a placcy bag with rolling pin. Melt butter, add sugar and mix in the biscuit crumbs. Pile into 7" pie plate or flan dish and press into place with the back of a spoon.

Break cream cheese up a bit then put it with the cream, condensed milk and lemon juice into a liquidiser and process lightly til no lumps left. Pour mixture into the crumb case. Leave to set in the fridge for a few hours.

Variations:

Use chocolate digestives, or hobnobs.
    Sprinkle chopped nuts or grated chocolate on top.
    Top with fresh or lightly poached fruit and more (!) cream.
    ♥♥♥ Genius - 1% inspiration and 99% doing what your mother told you. ♥♥♥

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport