PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Freezing carrots

Options
Hi

Sorry if this has been asked before. I have an abundance of carrots which need using up. Can I peel them, dice them and then freeze them - or do I need to cook them first?

Thanks,

Red

Comments

• Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    You will need to blanche them (dunk them in some boiling water) before you freeze them.

Pink
  • djohn2002uk
    djohn2002uk Posts: 2,323 Forumite
    Options
    Carrots can be pulled up and kept in sand or something similar. Then used as fresh ones. Will keep for months.
  • arkonite_babe
    Options
    I've just been told, a frozen whole carrot makes a good tog chew toy. Sorry this isn't what you asked, but I thought someone might find it useful.
  • Judi101
    Judi101 Posts: 134 Forumite
    Options
    Hi,

you dont need to blanche carrots. Just peel (if you wish), chop, clean then stick in a bag and put in the freezer. Once they are frozen bang the bag on the worktop or the floor to loosen them up. Then you can just take out what you need. I have been freezing carrots without blanching them for years and they are perfectly fine.
  • pol
    pol Posts: 643 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I usually blanche them if freezing in chunks/slices, but often cook them, mash and then freeze in portions. They are great as they are or in soups.

pol
    37 mrstwins squares, 6 little bags, 16 RWB squares, 1 ladies cardi, 4 boobs, 20 baby hats, 4 xmas stockings, 1 scarf, 4 prs wristwarmers
  • libra10
    libra10 Posts: 18,819 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I agree with Judi, just peel, cut, slice and freeze. No need to blanche
  • krishna
    krishna Posts: 818 Forumite
    Options
    Frozen carrots! Yuk!

Stick them in sand, pickle them, make carrot cake and freeze. Anything but freezing them as is. It makes them revolting.

Krishna
  • GIRLPOWER_2
    GIRLPOWER_2 Posts: 1,382 Forumite
    Options
    carrot cake that you can freeze???? Is it on this site...????
  • nicki_2
    nicki_2 Posts: 7,321 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I peel and slice mine then put them in a pan, pour a kettle of just boiled water over them, lid on and leave until the water is cold. Drain, put them in a container (usually a resealable bag or I've used a foil tray this time) then freeeze. I usually freeze in portion sizes but since there are three of us I just freeze any amount as some usually go missing from the pan during the cooking process anyway :D I don't think I've bought frozen carrots since we moved over a year ago - I always buy fresh and keep them in the fridge until they start to go soft then I prep and freeze them. Mind you. I've got loads growing in the garden ATM so I won't be buying any for a while either now :D:D:D:D
    Creeping back in for accountability after falling off the wagon in 2016.
    Need to get back to old style in modern ways, watching the pennies and getting stuff done!
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    You can freeze any carrot cake. There is a recipe called Killer Carrot Cake in the Cooking section of the MEGA Index sticky at the top of the Old Style listing under cakes. :)
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family