S R J Debt Recoveries, Client: Phoenix (Littlewoods)

Options

Comments

• Somerdog
    Options
    Hi Simon,

Don't worry. You will be able to get this sorted. I can imagine how desperate you must feel. I felt exactly the same in your situation.

When I was in a similar position with SRJ, I had great difficulties in getting any response out of them other than "prove it". My alleged debt was with Talk Talk (Tiscali).

What I did was wrote a letter to SRJ and to Talk Talk disputing the debt (there are templates on here that you can use and adapt for yourself). Talk Talk took the account off SRJ and brought it back "in house". For me, this is a much better situation to be in, dealing with the Talk Talk rather than SRJ who in my experience haven't been any help.

What I would suggest is you follow similar routes. Send a written letter (there are templates on this forum) to SRJ and a copy to Sky disputing the debt. Sky should (if they have any sense which I believe they do) take the account off SRJ and deal with it themselves.

This is a much better position to be in.

One other point. In my experience dealing with SRJ has been very stressful on the phone. Try to deal with this going forward in writing only and always post your letters to them registered post if you want to be certain that they've received them.

Can I also suggest that you log a complaint with the Office of Fair Trading who SRJ and Sky are regulated by when collecting debt. The best way of doing this is looking up the number for Consumer Direct. Tell them how harrassed you feel (if indeed you do) and let them know that this isn't the first time you've been chased for this.

Please anyone else reading this, log all your complaints of harrassment with Consumer Direct in the same way. It is important that Consumer Direct and the Office of Fair Trading start seeing signifant numbers of reports about this company.

I personally will not rest until a) they change their ways or b) they are closed down.

Let me know how you get on Simon and don't worry.

Do you have contact details for Tiscali/TalkTalk? When I phoned them they were helpful but I can't find a proper email address for them.
  • Somerdog
    Options
    Sent an email to these idiots with a request for a receipt. Came back saying "Message unread" which obviously means they did read it, didn't like the contents, so pretended not to read it. Basically I told them that, in the absence of documentation, their demands for payment amount to (1)A fraudulent attempt to extort money and (2) a serious defamation of my character.

The email came back from amanda.cole@srjdebt.com if anyone wants to spam that address. :beer:
  • clairemw
    Options
    Somerdog wrote: »
    Do you have contact details for Tiscali/TalkTalk? When I phoned them they were helpful but I can't find a proper email address for them.

I found an address for talktalk on their site:
    TalkTalk Correspondence Dept.
    PO Box 360,
    Southampton
    SO30 2LY

Two weeks ago now I wrote to talktalk and SRJ using templates on this site basically them they haven't a hope in hell of getting any money out of me until they stop their threatening letters, provide me with some evidence and begin to act within the law and guidance of the OFT, or I will gladly go to court and show the judge the evidence of their bad practice and dodgy tactics!

I've not heard from either yet! Funny that.......
  • magpiecottage
    Options
    I wouldn't bother going to the OFT to complain because they do not really look at individual complaints.

I have put a template letter on this thread which takes things down the route of the Financial Ombudsman Service. They will look at individual complaints, have the power to make legally binding compensation awards and collate statistics which they can pass to the OFT - who are far more likely to listen to them than an individual.
  • expectingstandards
    Options
    It is important that as many people that have been treated unfairly by SRJ Debt Recoveries to raise their concerns to ensure that a full and thorough investigation takes place.

I highly recommend that you (and any others reading that are having trouble in this way with SRJ Debt Recoveries) to contact Surrey Trading Standards on 01372 371 741.

They are currently
    researching the activities of debt collection companies based in that county
    where SRJ Debt Recoveries are based.

Please do this. The more complaints, the clearer it is there is a problem here.

Thanks
    Quick update. I never bothered to send them a letter. Got a letter from them today. Despite the fact that my emails were returned saying "your email has been deleted without being read"

They said in the letter :- " Thank you for your recent correspondence." Which remember they didn't read. "We can confirm that we are no longer instructed in respect of this matter and your account is now closed. Balance £0.00".

So a result in one respect in that they've run away with their tails between their legs but it won't stop them trying it on others.
  • Mildlymad
    Options
    Just Received a txt from Srjpay with a suggestion that they have sent a letter and the account details are in it (needless to say I have had nothing). I Rang the number supplied and it linked into a call centre where they wanted my "security details"

I Explained that I dont know who they are and am not prepared to pass on details over the phone to a copany I have never heard of, and left it at that.

It does sound dodgy and I would reccomend not sending a thing and dont lose any sleep over them.
  • innocentstevie
    innocentstevie Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 2 June 2010 at 6:03PM
    Options
    Hey people i used to work for SRJ debt recoveries. If you have any questions i could most likely answer them. I can tell you that they are an actual company and the security questions are so they know they are speaking to the right person. (Would you want someone else knowing you have a debt).
    If you want to know what it's about and they say they are a service company ask what it is in regards to.
    Also about Harrasment: Under the administration of Justice Act 1970 SRJ can legally contact you by any means once a day that means they can text you e-mail you phone you once a day. so you could be contacted three times a day but only by each medium. So if they have done that you can't get them for harrasment.
    Also about the bullying and harsh people i know them and it scared me how they spoke and i thought it was rude and unfair (Hence why i left) but if they can get away with saying that they are being firm not aggressive then that's what they'll do.

Do not contact Michael Court he doesn't have much to do with collection you want Mark Faithful he's the collections manager.

The cut off for debts is 6 years so they can contact you within that time.

SRJ do not buy debts other companies like talk talk or sky give it to them to collect and pay a percentage.

Also there's no point contacting OFT because they are regually visiting SRJ and it's OFT that are still allowing it each time to carry on.

Any other questions please ask.
  • Blueyy
    Blueyy Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 26 June 2010 at 11:12AM
    Options
    Just received a traced letter yesterday. Again like above no details on it. Spoke to them and they were the rudest, aggressive company I have dealt with and said it was for a Virgin Media Account I'd had and refused to give any more details.

My feeling is just to ignore SRJ and any future letters (I certainly won't phone them again)

What I would like to know is has anyone ever had a bailifff sent round by SRJ ?? What's the likelyhood of this ?? I can handle them but I'd be worried if they turned up if I was out and my girlfriend was in on her own.

What a vile company SRJ are !

Many Thanks
    Mike
  • Knackered
    Knackered Posts: 243 Forumite
    PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    I had a letter from SRJ last week demanding money for an internet provider with whom I have had no dealings for over three years. Not sure whether to ignore them or tell them to stuff off (these are the second debt recovery company who have threatened me with the same scam).

They sent the letter to just my surname though. No "Mr" or first name just SURNAME then the address. Is there any protection under the DPA about that kind of thing? Anyone in my house could have opened it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure