school exam invigilator anyone??

Options
I have recently signed up with my local secondary school to help with exam invigilation. The hours are flexible and obviously within school hours so perfect if you have school age children and can give some time during the day. I will be doing this for the SATs, GCSE and A level exams and will be paid!!! It is a good rate and well above the minimum wage.I guess this could be different for each local authority or may be standard.
There is training so no experience necessary. A CRB check will be done and then you give your availability during the exam timetable.
It's a great way to get some money prior to the summer holidays.

sorry if this has been mentioned elsewhere.

Comments

• samtastic7
    samtastic7 Posts: 1,110 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    how do you apply? do you contact the local school
  • moneypooh
    moneypooh Posts: 2,217 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The school actually asked in the newsletter at Christmas, I have a child at the school so picked it up that way. Saying that, I was told you DON'T have to have a child at the school to qualify.
    I would phone schools in your area and speak to the examination co-ordinator, they should be able to let you know where assistance is needed.
    Even with advertising within the school newsletter our school is still short of people, it seems that people just don't want to do it, thinking it's the school's responsibility. However you need lots of hands to get papers out and watch/help 100's of students all sitting exams at the same time.

I'll be covering 9-10am and 1-2.30pm exams - so I'll even get a good break between them. :)
  • Encantador
    Encantador Posts: 678 Forumite
    Options
    Colleges need them too.
  • RachyClaire
    Options
    Try looking at your local council's website, I saw some on the Derbyshire one the other day
  • Debt_Free_Dreamer
    Options
    Worcestershire County Council are advertising a position at the moment for a school in Bromsgove. Look at the jobs on www.worcestershire.gov.uk
    I want to be credit card and loan free by Christmas 2010
  • PattyD
    PattyD Posts: 74 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    I have been an Exam Invigilator at my daughter's grammar school for about 18 months now. I also applied after seeing the vacancies in the newsletter. I usually get a timetable of exams and tell them what days/hours I am available. I can choose to do a minimum of 2 hours or I have been known to cover 8 hours of exams each day. My school has about 30-40 invigilators on their books and they try and give everyone their fair share. Last tax year I worked about 150 hours. It can be very monotonous because you usually have to stand in a hall and observe the students continually. There are many rules and regulations you have to adhere to. You cannot read or do anything else while supervising the exams. Sometimes it can be just you and one student or you could be with about 6 others covering up to 300 students.

However I would recommend it especially if you are male as they are usually short of male invigilators as they sometimes have to rely on ex-staff members of the school.

Good luck for anyone wishing to go for it. May/June will be the busiest time for exams.
  • moneypooh
    Options
    I have now started and going well. :j

If you do have some time during school hours it's well worth a look.
  • petshopgirlemma
    Options
    I'm doing this - my CRB check has arrived (free CRB check of course!) plus I do my training in a week or so. £10 per hour. Saw it on my local school's website.
  • faye1978
    faye1978 Posts: 215 Forumite
    Options
    samtastic7 wrote: »
    umm, that really does help the children, any parent that does that is very stupid. would you take the bribe ???
    think i would report the parents personnally

Umm! Think they were joking hun!!!
  • moneypooh
    Options
    I was in an A level Law paper mock not so long ago, I couldn't help any stupid kids on that paper!!:rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure