pc world-pc performance scam

Options

Comments

• stephen77
    stephen77 Posts: 10,342 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I am glad i got pc protection out as my screen broke on my lap top. So it worked out beneficial for me.

Lap top has broke again so going to take it back to be mended. So i will return it twice with in a two year peroid.

Worked out much cheaper than buying two new pcs.

however i would say lap top break more easily than normal PC.

I have met some good computer shop staff. I did a MS on one. I told him my budget and what I need. He suggested a computer that was £200 cheaper than my budget.

Some shops will always have hard sales staff on, but you will get more helpful staff as well.
  • ynot2005
    ynot2005 Posts: 546 Forumite
    Options
    we bought the laptop 31 dec and rang today to cancel pc performance and have been told to call back in 48 hours because its not in the system....im not sure if this is a delay tactic or the truth.

yes lil mothachucka she wasnt interested in selling us a better laptop, infact she didnt care about selling the laptop at all when we threatened to cancel the deal because we didnt like the direct debit must do thing , it was quite obvious now that the "warranty pc performance" walked out of the door with us or we went home empty handed.

a bad experience from pc world that wont be forgotten, getting a bit of pressure to buy from salesman is common, a bit of flannel and bullsh*t can be expected, but downright blatant lies and underhand dealing when it involves banks and direct debits was a real eye opener.

and it was all carried out by the girl who sold us the laptop with so much ease that we no doubt had been another mug in a long list of punters that day
  • sazlberry
    sazlberry Posts: 45 Forumite
    Options
    :mad: I bought a computer from them just after Christmas and the sales assistant started to tell us about the cover I told him we didnt want it to which he replied I have to tell you about thins anyway and proceded to ramble on for 5 mins about the cover. Even worse than that he mumbled so badly we couldnt understand a word he was saying!. There service is also appaling. We had reserved the computer on line the day before, after being ignored for 15 mins in the store (at the reserve and collect bit) we were sent to speak to a man stood on a podium and had a ten minute wait there to then be told to go back to the origional place. Was very very annoying!
    Working hard to be debt free! :A
  • BlameTheGame
    Options
    I bought a PS3 from PC World not so long ago and took out the the cover, it was 2.99. Im glad i took it 'cos 6 months down the line it had packed in and they just swapped it for a brand new one. I believe if i didnt take it out i would have to deal with the manufacturer directly as it would have fallen within the 12 month manufacturer warranty and most retailers only offer a 28 day money back guarantee.

I also haggled and got the first 3 month cover for free.
  • TehJumpingJawa
    Options
    I was in PC world earlier today browsing their laptops, when I was inevitably approached by a shop assistant.
    In the ensueing conversation I was asked :-

1) Would I be paying cash, or getting it on credit.
    2) Had I heard of their pc performance service.
    3) Would I be paying cash, or getting it on credit. (yes, this isn't a typo - in the same conversation she asked exactly the same question twice.)

All this was before I had even chosen the product I was interested in!!!
    Other interesting quotes from the conversation:

Me: "Oh, this is running Vista?"
    Robot: "Yes, you won't be able to get any with XS in store"
    Me: "<pause>, XP?"
    Robot: "Oh....yes."

Me: "The specs. on display for these laptops don't say what the graphics cards are?"
    Robot: "oh right, hang on i'll check. <runs over to a pc & checks the website, then returns> .... integrated graphics."
    Me: "But what chipset?"
    Robot: "<back to check the website, then returns>.... ATI, this has ATI graphics"
    Me: "ATI is the manufacturer - but they do hundreds of graphics cards, what model?"
    Robot: "<invites me over to check the contents of the website myself>"
    Me: "Yeah, I've already looked on your website, it's useless - that's why I came into the store..."

I welcome PC World, Currys & the rest going bust, they're all fcuking useless as retailers.
  • smithj100
    Options
    I don't understand why customers are calling it a scam personally i think its great, i am a computer wiz but i still take out pc performance because i know how to play it.
    IT'S A GREAT WAY TO SAVE A BIT OF MONEY!

when you go go into pc world to buy a laptop or desktop the sales guy will offer you pc performance you can negotiate and get the first month free and with that service it gives them a bit more margin on their sale so when you buy a bag for the laptop aswell or any other accessory, you can get it at half price or at a discounted price.

all you do when you get home is phone up and cancel the pc performance or just go to bank and cancel the direct debit! its really easy!

the pc performance service they offer is a pay as you go one so there isn't a contract!

The best thing they offer is like 3 year instant replacement pc performance on like printers and cameras and other stuff like that

you pay like a one off payment of like £19.99 (you can get that down to £9.99 sometimes)

and how that works is every 2 years you take the printer and camera back to the store claiming there is a fault with it and they give your new one and usually theres always a new model out so you always get the latest model! they dont even argue!

in the last 7 -8 years i havn't paid for a single new printer or camera just been claiming on the pc performance every couple of years

so i highly recommend pc performance as you can use it to your advantage!

+ if you ever buy a clearance or ex display machine thats at a high spec at low price simply buy it take the pc performance drop the machine "accidently" then claim on it. its a bit of hassles because they try and fix it but if they cant they give you vouchers for another machine at equivelent spec.

for example i brought an ex display asus gaming laptop a few weeks back for £349 it had a few scratches and sort of damaged but it had a 4gb ram dedicated graphics (really high spec) i dropped the laptop, it died, called pc performance guy came over took the laptop, got told they cant fix it got a voucher £800! :-)
  • PopeSock
    PopeSock Posts: 552 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I was in PC world earlier today browsing their laptops, when I was inevitably approached by a shop assistant.
    In the ensueing conversation I was asked :-

1) Would I be paying cash, or getting it on credit.
    2) Had I heard of their pc performance service.
    3) Would I be paying cash, or getting it on credit. (yes, this isn't a typo - in the same conversation she asked exactly the same question twice.)

This is part of Dixons' new selling system. All employees *have* to ask these questions. Even if you know the exact model you want, they're required to ask this, and go through the whole process.
    ynot2005 wrote: »
    i expect they try and pull the wooll over every punters eyes who walks in pc world, not a very good long term sales tactic and puts more business into the hands of online retailers.

It shouldn't be quite that bad but yes, employees of most electrical retailers, not just Dixons Group are under pressure to sell loads of extras. They may not be on commission, but they're still watched like a hawk and probably reprimanded for not selling enough stuff. They don't see the long term effects, if indeed it does put customers offer, only the day in day out effects of them not getting the extras.
  • Waxy_Bean
    Waxy_Bean Posts: 274 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    smithj100 wrote: »

for example i brought an ex display asus gaming laptop a few weeks back for £349 it had a few scratches and sort of damaged but it had a 4gb ram dedicated graphics (really high spec) i dropped the laptop, it died, called pc performance guy came over took the laptop, got told they cant fix it got a voucher £800! :-)

I'm glad your conscience allows you to do things like this, mine certainly doesn't.
    2009 winnings: private box at the ballet, a cooking lesson with Jean Christophe Novelli, a case of wine, £25 itunes downloads, a candle, Football Manager PC game, a lipstick, £250
  • SSTSparkz
    SSTSparkz Posts: 15 Forumite
    Options
    I work for PC World and I would have to say the let down of the company is the way most stores take on young staff.

The company within this year is serposed to be changing each and every store from the old PC World to the new (new logo to identifiy the new). With the new changes we are serposed to be selling more well known brands and become more upper market and try to become from the dogy sales guy route to more of a come in learn about what you want to buy and have no pressure in selling at all. All staff are serposed to train each other and learn more themselfs. each store will have a "Champion" for sertain parts of the store which normal know the most about that subject things like "Vision"- tv's "Gaming" - self explained and "Connectivity" - mobile broadband.

The company has set up an Acadamy to go around each PC World store and train them on the new way to approch and serve customers. Which is serposed to be no pressure sale at all. If Managers of the store stick to it like ours, the new rule is IF you Pressure sell you cannot stay. Which makes it easyer on the Sales Advisor and the Customer. Of corse figures still count and we do still make money from our PC Performance and cables ect. but how the new selling aproch is serposed to work is for us to help you offer what we can and by asking questions we can make sure the customer goes home with what they want and everythink they need to set it up.

PC Performance is still the same. Manufacture warrentys on PC's/Laptops only cover hardware. PC Performance covers your DATA from being lost, and Supports the user with software problems and issues. The cover on the harware is for faults and covers the user when being abroad and will be coverd under mishaps. For laptop hardware faults if you are unable to get to a store we just pick it up sometimes next day, depending if you call before 10am the day before.
  • DJBenson
    DJBenson Posts: 445 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Maybe the "Acedemy" could tell you how to spell "Supposed" :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts