PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

October 2016 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• blubella
    blubella Posts: 573 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm managing to get confused over my own rules.

My question to myself is, should this come from my grocery budget or my "entertainment budget"?

I have a separate 'spending money' budget for treats and eating out and I spend it on what I want (£30 per month).

I'm using YNAB to organise me and budget all of my pennies, it's taken some getting used to...just spent half an hour trying to figure out where £30 has disappeared to :huh: ...finally figured it was on fuel...must improve my recording methods!
    #4 DFBXMAS24 - £1,936.00/£5,000
    NSD Challenge - Jan 15/12, Feb 3/12, Mar 10/10 Apr 10/12, May 5/12.
    SPC #44

Success is the good fortune that comes from aspiration, desperation, perspiration & inspiration ~ Evan Esar
  • t14cy_t
    t14cy_t Posts: 1,318 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    nsd yesterday, yipee!! xx
  • elsiepac
    elsiepac Posts: 2,561 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Morning all!

I didn't get around to sorting out my middle freezer drawer last night, so I'll be aiming to do that tonight, but I did do two lots of batch cooking and cleaned the bathroom so I don't feel bad about it!

I made a Chickpea and Aubergine Harissa Stew:

Aubergine_and_Chickpea_Harissa_Stew.jpg

And a Bean and Pepper Chilli:

Bean_and_Pepper_Chilli.jpg

I ended up doing this because I had been browsing for recipes in the afternoon and came across these two which used things I already had in the house. I also have one more for a dahl which I'm hoping to do tonight, but the freezer drawer must be cleared first as no more room!

Aubergine and Chickpea Harissa Stew

1 tbsp olive oil
    1 onion
    1 v. large or two medium aubergines
    2 tbsps harissa
    1 tin of chickpeas
    1 tin of chopped tomatoes
    500ml water (just under a pint)
    2 tbsps fresh coriander (optional)

Saute the onion in the oil until translucent
    Stir in the harissa and saute for a further minute
    Add the aubergine and stir until well mixed with the onion and harissa
    Add the tomatoes, chickpeas and water, stir well and simmer for 30 mins
    (I simmered a little longer as I wanted the liquid to reduce a little more, but only about 45 mins total)
    Take off the heat and stir through the coriander

Bean and Pepper Chilli

1 tbsp olive oil
    1 onion
    350g mixed peppers (if you don't have a glut of fresh ones like I did I'm sure that frozen would work well - I used 3 peppers and it came to 353g!)
    1 tbsp chilli powder
    1 tbsp smoked paprika
    1 tbsp cumin
    1 tin kidney beans in chilli sauce (I bought these by mistake ages ago and was so pleased to find a use for them!)
    1 tin mixed beans (I just used a tin of cannelini)
    1 tin tomatoes

Saute the onions and the peppers in the oil for about 8 mins until soft
    Stir in the spices and cook for 1 further minute
    Add the beans and tomatoes, mix well and simmer for 15-20 mins until thickened

Hope these are useful to someone! I found them on the BBC Good Food site when just browsing :j

Oh and I had a nsd yesterday for grocery budget... did spend on other budgets though :rotfl:

LC x

I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Old Style, Crafting and Techie Stuff boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    GC: May 22 £tbc/£250 Vegan 27-8-13
  • Herbyme
    Herbyme Posts: 720 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Blubella, YNAB?! Please explain! Thank you!
  • thriftwizard
    thriftwizard Posts: 4,676 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 5 October 2016 at 7:22PM
    Options
    Another £10 dribbled away - a loaf of good bread, some veg. to go into omelettes tonight and some frozen veg for the freezer. I needed to do the omelettes, to save some eggs that I bought a couple of weeks ago, before the "girls" came back into lay, and some I'd brought back from Mum's that were on their use-by; the carers would have chucked them otherwise. So that went onto this week's meal plan, but the veg I would have used had already been snaffled up by our resident veggie (really a pescatarian) in the meantime!

I still need to get to the farm shop to update the spuds & poultry supplies. then we should be "all in" except fresh stuff for the rest of the month.

ETA: I've added £10 because I can't find my co-op receipt. But it's a rounding-up, rather than down, as some of it was YS and DD1 works at the bakery/cafe so gets a good discount on the bread.

And PS - I think YNAB is either an app or a piece of software for budgeting, in full You Need A Budget?
    Angie - GC May 24 £253.52/£450: 2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 10/68: (Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
  • blubella
    blubella Posts: 573 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Blubella, YNAB?! Please explain! Thank you!

YNAB (You need a budget) is budgeting software which enables me to budget my monthly income...you create your own categories and assign money to each one/or not! It means i don't spend more than my monthly income...it's also helping me to pay off my pre YNAB debt and save for a rainy day :A...

It cost me approx £40 although i think they have changed their fees since Xmas...but it's definitely helped me keep track of all my spending and where the money goes!
    #4 DFBXMAS24 - £1,936.00/£5,000
    NSD Challenge - Jan 15/12, Feb 3/12, Mar 10/10 Apr 10/12, May 5/12.
    SPC #44

Success is the good fortune that comes from aspiration, desperation, perspiration & inspiration ~ Evan Esar
  • BeTheChange
    Options
    So I have completed my online shop for tomorrow which means I will have spent a total of £100.95/£250 so far this month. Therefore all on track :)
    Debt @ Sept '16 = £51804 Oct '16= £51,095 1.37% paid off
    Oct grocery challenge = £229.05/£250
    Oct AFD challenge = 20/31
    Oct NSD = 13/18
    Emergency Fund member #209 = 376/1000
  • pinkypig
    pinkypig Posts: 1,814 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    £6.50 in Aldi on 8 pints of milk, onions, salad stuff, frozen sweetcorn, mayonnaise and some brown sugar for DS's food tech.
    PP x
    Original mortgage £112,000 . Final payment due August 2027.
    Mortgage neutral achieved August 2020 - 7 years early!!!
  • lynnejk
    lynnejk Posts: 5,732 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Evening all

Another NSD here today :j

I don't think we will need anything until the weekend now, fingers xd

Hope you all have a thrifty Thursday
    Lx
    £10day.2014=3213/2015=3421/2016=3238/2017=2702/2018=498..APR=12.03/300
    GrocC.2014=2162/2015=2083/2016=218/2017=1996/2018=450..APR=17.13/200
    Bulk buy.......APR=233.76
    GC.NSD..2015=216/2016=213/2017=229/2018=39..APR=03/15
    SPC130:staradminx61..2014=1178/2015=1287/2016=4616/2017=3843
    OS WL= -2/8 ......CC =00......Savings = £13,140
  • Elephantchunks
    Options
    £70 spent on monthly shop -tea, loo rolls, sandwich stuffs, cereal, tins, cleaning, washing, etc.
    £6 wine to take to Sunday dinner at the in-laws
    £1 bread.
    Should be ok with £40 for the rest of the month for bread and milk IF I remember to defrost meat most nights.
    "Why not now, OK so when and how," ElephantChunks.
    Electrics re-wire savings Oct 18 - March 2020 WE GOT ELECTRIC!
    Heating Loan Sept 0/£5000
    SPC14 #65
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family