Cheeky ways to get free wi-fi

Options

Comments

• gloriouslyhappy
    Options
    Oh, and beware free wifi at airports - some only give you 30 mins free, then you're running up a roaming bill after that. If I'm going to be there much longer than that, I use their 30 mins then get a cup of tea - and make it last - at any outlet offering free wifi.

Paris Orly gives you free unlimited wifi, useful as I was delayed there for 5 hours over xmas, why don't all airports do that!!
  • Pincher
    Pincher Posts: 6,552 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    This is in Alaska. We were camped outside the entrance to the Denali National Park. The rich tourists would stay in the hotel (Denali Princess, I think) across the road, having come off a cruise ship, but we were with Green Tortoise.

The bus driver said he uses the Wi-Fi in the Tourist Office, because he got the password a few trips back, and it was lucky they haven't changed the password yet.
  • benjus
    benjus Posts: 5,433 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Oh, and beware free wifi at airports - some only give you 30 mins free, then you're running up a roaming bill after that.

How exactly do you run up a roaming bill? Mobile Data Roaming should be switched off if you don't intend to use it. And once the 30 minute of free wifi ends you would have to pay in advance if you want to continue using it.
    Let's settle this like gentlemen: armed with heavy sticks
    On a rotating plate, with spikes like Flash Gordon
    And you're Peter Duncan; I gave you fair warning
  • eastcott5
    Options
    We go to Spain regularly and sit on the beach wall outside a couple of bars that have free WiFi and log in. We do use the bars as well - but we don't always go and buy a drink/food.
  • pjsmiffy
    pjsmiffy Posts: 61 Forumite
    Options
    Starbucks Wi-Fi from cafe next door.
  • pjsmiffy
    pjsmiffy Posts: 61 Forumite
    Options
    Got !!!!ed off at my phone jumping onto the open WiFi across the street instead of my passworded WiFi so hacked into it and turned on the password.
  • scotsbob
    scotsbob Posts: 4,632 Forumite
    Options
    Doc_N wrote: »
    A very dangerous game unless you're absolutely certain that the hotspot you're about to use is what it says it is - and that's not easy. All too easy for hackers to create fraudulent Wi-Fi networks with genuine-sounding names to steal data from phones

That kind of scaremongering is for the middle aged, middle classes who haven't got a clue about the Internet.

Everyone else knows exactly what to do and the safe, easy, way to do it.

It's so easy to take a pop at those of us who answered the question and provided an idea. Have the courage to stick your suggestion up so we can have a pop at you.
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,291 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Doc_N wrote: »
    A very dangerous game unless you're absolutely certain that the hotspot you're about to use is what it says it is - and that's not easy. All too easy for hackers to create fraudulent Wi-Fi networks with genuine-sounding names to steal data from phones.

Sensitive information should not be sent over public wi-fi hotspots, to avoid hackers stealing it, Europe's top cybercrime police officer has warned.
    Troels Oerting, head of Europol's cybercrime centre, told BBC Click people should send personal data only across networks they trusted.
    He said the warning was motivated by the growing number of attacks being carried out via public wi-fi.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-26469598
    scotsbob wrote: »
    That kind of scaremongering is for the middle aged, middle classes who haven't got a clue about the Internet.
    Everyone else knows exactly what to do and the safe, easy, way to do it.
    It's so easy to take a pop at those of us who answered the question and provided an idea. Have the courage to stick your suggestion up so we can have a pop at you.
    I suspect there are quite a lot of 'middle aged, middle class' people on these forums.

My suggestion was that care needed to be taken using wi-fi hotspots to avoid personal information being hacked into. Perhaps you would kindly share your knowledge with them on 'exactly what to do and the safe, easy, way to do it.' :)
  • Collabora
    Collabora Posts: 1,360 Forumite
    Options
    MaffyD wrote: »

Out and about, there are hoops to jump through to get coffee shop or Asda

Never used free wifi in coffee shops, but have used it on Arriva Buses. It is pointless in our local Asda, yes you can set it up easy, but as soon as you enter the store, you get no signal, so you cant use it anyway
  • Beate
    Beate Posts: 3,522 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Public libraries!
    Reclaimed thanks to this site:
    £175 Abbey Mortgage Repayment Fee, £170.03 Capital One Bank Charges £418.07 Lloyds TSB Bank Charges, £2,671.55 Mis-sold Endowment Policy, all for OH
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure