We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

What's the best way to arrange a work Xmas do?

Options
Former_MSE_Joanne
Former_MSE_Joanne Posts: 113 Forumite
I've been asked to organise my employer's annual Christmas party but it's a daunting task as there are many people in the company that I don't know very well. How can I come up with an idea everyone will be happy with?

Please note: this isn't my own personal request as an employee of MSE. It was a question we were sent by a MoneySaver and used in our email this week.

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

Comments

• double_mummy
    Options
    have a company vote

offer 3 choices everyone gets 2 weeks to cast their vote most voted choice wins

probably 1 big party with a disco
    1 sort of activity thing
    1 out of the box idea
    The only people I have to answer to are my beautiful babies aged 8 and 5
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 33,178 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You won't come up with an idea everyone will be happy with. Just go with the majority and let the grinches get on with it.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Colin_Hunt
    Colin_Hunt Posts: 5,812 Forumite
    edited 30 September 2014 at 9:33PM
    Options
    MSE_Joanne wrote: »
    I've been asked to organise my employer's annual Christmas party but it's a daunting task as there are many people in the company that I don't know very well. How can I come up with an idea everyone will be happy with?
    You should have side stepped that one Joanne.
    Whats the budget ?
    Last time I did one I settled on a ten pin bowling night, followed by a curry, a couple of drinks at the alley, a couple more with the curry.
    I paid the bill and made my exit as soon after the curry as possible, not wanting to be "officiating" when some one was inappropriate, or !!!!!!, or both.
  • macaroni
    Options
    I disagree with the voting idea, it can easily be pretty evenly split and therefore annoying the majority before youve even begun.

Just keep it pretty safe, nothing extreme, if everyone has to pay for themselves think of the lower earners in the company too - you want everyone to be able to go and have a good time.
    :hello:
  • lostinrates
    lostinrates Posts: 55,283 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    If its with out partners then not on Friday but rather on a proper weeknight.
  • Poppy9
    Poppy9 Posts: 18,833 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You've left it a bit late to get a good place on a Friday, which is preferred day.

You need to:
    1. Decide day or night
    2. Guesstimate the number likely to attend
    3. Ring a few potential venues to see what availabilty they have

You need to consider if you want in City Centre or local to where you work - think travel for drunken party goers! Do you need to organise transport.

We take it in turn in work with me to organise and split duties. i.e. one books restaurant, gets menu order, money in etc. Deposit always payable for large groups so only pay balance on day. Another deals with wine pre order (we ask for discount for pre ordering wine) and another with lifts/taxis from work (always a few drivers).

We only give 2/3 choices but as we do lunchtime the maximum per head we offer as a choice is £25. Last year we had £10 lunch, this year we are having £20 one.

We all pay for ourselves and no partners allowed though ex colleagues who we are still in touch with or those off due to maternity/ill health are invited.

On last work day before xmas leave we all take in food for an office buffet.
    :) ~Laugh and the world laughs with you, weep and you weep alone.~:)
  • torbrex
    torbrex Posts: 71,340 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
    Options
    To start with.
    How much is the boss putting in the kitty?

Not everyone is a christian so avoid anything to do with the religious side of the event, concentrate on the pagan aspects, eating, drinking and cavorting

Feeding all those hungry mouths should come out of the kitty so you need to stike a balance between good food, food that everyone will like and how much of the kitty do you want leftover to buy a few rounds of drinks.

It has been my experience that there should be enough cash left for 3 rounds of drinks, this will loosen the tongues a bit and help to let the newbies get their feet under the table (so to speak).

Lastly the cavorting.
    The meal should be had someplace that is within stumbling distance of some loud music and a dance floor, this will satisfy those that want to jiggle about and those that want to watch, laugh and film it on their mobiles to post online the next day :)
  • BobQ
    BobQ Posts: 11,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options

Well now is your chance to meet them

I would start by booking the venue - it is October - unless you are doing it on the premises.

Is it an evening affair or lunch time event? Sit down meal? Or an activity event?

Unless you are all rich bankers most people will not want the expense of hiring costumes so if you want people to dress to a theme do something people can organise with little expense.
    Few people are capable of expressing with equanimity opinions which differ from the prejudices of their social environment. Most people are incapable of forming such opinions.
  • Tigsteroonie
    Tigsteroonie Posts: 24,954 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options

Simple answer is, you can't.

Once you accept that, you have to decide how much of a conscience you have, and how much the moaning will bother you.

Personally, I reckon that the poor soul who has to organise the event, should get to select the venue. It's their recompense for having all the grief - that they get to go where they want.
    :heartpuls Mrs Marleyboy :heartpuls

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

:) Proud Parents to an Aut-some son :)
  • Quizzical_Squirrel
    Options
    Don't have a vote on anything as it will alienate the losers from the start. Just tell them what they're doing, like it or lump it. Like children.

Go and find the people who organised it in previous years and ask them where and what they did and what they'd change if they had to do it again.

Then start ringing round all the possible options for a potential booking.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport