The "Pay ALL your debt off by Xmas 2012" challenge

Options

Comments

• antonia1
    Options
    Morning all! Hope everyone had a good weekend. I was very productive - got 4 more Christmas presents, all at or under budget. So have 7 more plus 1 birthday left to get. If I'm really good at sticking to budget, I may even have a little left over to buy some B*ileys for me and mum as a treat for over Christmas:beer:.

Been checking my money spreadsheet and I've gotten myself all confused over £160 that I seem to have "spare". I think I have previously double-accounted, but am too scared to spend it in case I've just forgotten something. Will leave it in the "to spend" column until the end of the month, and if I haven't remembered by then it can go off the overdraft:A.

I was rubbish at the weekly challenge yesterday, as I really should have put back the Ollie Murs album, but I had £10 left over from my weekly budget and went for it anyway. Now people in the office keep looking at me funny as I hum along to "dance with me tonight":dance:.

In other news, boy from work wants to know if I'm free for dinner on Wednesday. He's been away for a week, and I'm heading home for Christmas on Friday, so it'll be nice to go out.
    :A If saving money is wrong, I don't want to be right. William Shatner

CC1 [STRIKE] £9400 [/STRIKE] £9300
    CC2 [STRIKE] £800 [/STRIKE] £750
    OD [STRIKE] £1350 [/STRIKE] £1150
  • PedroMatias
    Options
    antonia1 wrote: »
    I was rubbish at the weekly challenge yesterday, as I really should have put back the Ollie Murs album, but I had £10 left over from my weekly budget and went for it anyway. Now people in the office keep looking at me funny as I hum along to "dance with me tonight":dance:.

In other news, boy from work wants to know if I'm free for dinner on Wednesday. He's been away for a week, and I'm heading home for Christmas on Friday, so it'll be nice to go out.

Have you heard of Spotify? It's an online subscription music service - the top level subscription is £10/month and allows you to download albums to a phone/ipod/computer, and in addition you can stream virtually whatever you like, whenever you like. It's fantastic, and saved me huge amounts on CDs!

Oh, and enjoy dinner! :p
  • kerri_dfw
    kerri_dfw Posts: 4,556 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 12 December 2011 at 1:31PM
    Options
    I appear to have £108 left on my c/c (as I pay off balance in full this is spending money), how do I have so much left on there? This can't be right. Must try to not spend it and then will only have £390 to pay off instead of £500 *claps*

Oh and this weeks task is a "take your lunch to work" one. It's the week before Christmas, and I don't want you putting on anymore £'s or lbs :) So make yourself a healthy lunch, and enjoy the penny saving.
    If you already do this then well done to you, I'm still in the process of converting.

Ideas for packed lunches....:
    - sarnies (homemade bread anyone?)
    - carrot sticks with dip (hummus, moussaka, that avocado one)
    - sausage rolls
    - pie
    - pasty
    - homemade cake
    - last nights leftovers

You get the idea.
    If you already do this, then you have to try to make your lunch as homemade as possible :)
    Diary: Getting back on track for 2013 and beyond
    DEBT FREE 13-10-13 :dance::dance::dance::dance::dance:
    Beautiful daughter born 11.1.14
    Mortgage: [STRIKE]£399,435.91[/STRIKE] £377218.83
    Deposit loan from Dad: £9000[STRIKE]£10000[/STRIKE]
  • jimmytwoshoes
    Options
    Hi everyone

Still here but not been posting.

I am still unable to pay anything off my totals as yet, and although I have still got a few more bits to get before I've finished the christmas shopping, I am trying to focus really hard on not spending anything i don't need to. Unfortunately OH still out of work but hopefully that will change in 2012.

Well done to everyone so far.

Hopefully by next year we will all have acheived our goals.

DF by Xmas 2012 : Total owed £3373.96
  • PedroMatias
    Options
    kerri_dfw wrote: »
    Oh and this weeks task is a "take your lunch to work" one. It's the week before Christmas, and I don't want you putting on anymore £'s or lbs :)

Great idea! Just made my go-to, default sandwich - pastrami, gherkin and mustard mayonnaise, with a healthy handful of spinach. *Awaits the retching from everyone else...*
  • rosiest
    rosiest Posts: 105 Forumite
    Options
    Ive just went through all my xmas presents and have bought too many so im going to take some back and get back £32.00. Would usually of wrapped them and given them anyway but think since my LBM ive become even tighter !

On a negative side just had an unexpected bill for £450 so splitting over 3 months and not putting on CC (although amount im paying to them will now decrease ) i am however going to keep trying to make extra money and pay it quicker.

So far have got £14.82 from music magpie to get
    £12.23 from an old credit card in credit to get.
    £2.23 from and unused bank account
    £16.23 from ebay , once fees removed.
    #28 pay all your debts by Xmas 2019 £2682/7000:)
    #66 2019 MFW £90/£7500
    also trying to get 6k savings this year :wink: have this by April . yay :)
  • antonia1
    antonia1 Posts: 596 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Loving this week's challenge - I've been really bad at taking lunch to work recently, so this should get me back on track.

PedroMatias - I used to have spotify when it was free, but I never really used it. I mostly listen to music when jogging or in the car. This is the first CD I've bought myself in (literally) years. Not that I have previously been adding my sister's CDs to my MP3 player:whistle:.

Rosiest - know what you mean about getting even tighter. I bought a dress for christmas day last weekend (reduced from £40 to £15), but am considering taking it back cos I could just wear something I already own and that £15 would bring my debt free date another couple of days closer.
    :A If saving money is wrong, I don't want to be right. William Shatner

CC1 [STRIKE] £9400 [/STRIKE] £9300
    CC2 [STRIKE] £800 [/STRIKE] £750
    OD [STRIKE] £1350 [/STRIKE] £1150
  • lemonpopsicle
    lemonpopsicle Posts: 655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud! Mortgage-free Glee!
    edited 12 December 2011 at 6:53PM
    Options
    Hi peeps, part of my debt that I want to get rid of this year is for DS 's history trip to Berlin, the school have sent out the letter about the final payment and the cost of the trip has gone DOWN by £20 -yippee. So, I'm putting that down as a £20 payment- what do you think? :o
    So, my total is now

£572.88 / £7719
    Life's little instructions- Treat everyone you meet like you want to be treated..Watch a sunrise at least once a year..Strive for excellence not perfection:j
    £2 SC no.70 £140/£350
    SPC no.73 SPC9 £248 SPC10 target £250
    DFBX12 No. 069 £7719 / £7719 DEBT FREE 30/11/12
    2013 mfw No.4 MORTGAGE FREE 5/8/13
  • DorsetGirl_2
    Options
    I only work on Fridays so will take lunch then. Its a good challenge as we have a canteen and I find it so easy to spend £3 or £4 each day.
    Pay off all my debts before Christmas 2015 #165.
  • jakes-mum
    jakes-mum Posts: 4,624 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Aww I cant do the challenge again :( I dont work so all my lunches are home made as are DH's and DS's :rotfl:

Went to co-op today, managed to get £46 worth of food for £14.31, so pleased as im trying to budget food at £25 a week for the 4 of us, so that leaves me £10.69 for bread, milk and other incidentals :) anything thats left at the end I think i'll throw at a card, might make me even more frugal :rotfl: Am doubly pleased as in the £14 I cot 4 chicken portions, 16 rashers of middle bacon and 2 gammon steaks :eek: plus a load of other stuff, and the best bit is, its all stuff I would have bought anyway . . . well except the gammon, but 2 steaks for £1.96 was a good price and DH will be very happy on the saturday nights he gets served them :o

I do have a confession to make though, I did splurge last week and kind of go over my £25 budget as DH is from Wales and the Clarks Pie shop there have started seeling their pies online, im not sure that this counts as I DID pay with ebay money through paypal, and my dear MIL brought them down for us on friday, so DH has 9 pies in the freezer . . . there was 12 . . but you know . . . . its clarks pies!!! Plus we are now mini famous as it seems we are the first people to order online :rotfl: I had to send a pic to them of DH with all his pies :rotfl:

Oh and as a side note I did put back a 27p chocolate eclair that I only picked up because it was cheap, so total saved on the mini challenge was approx £1.50 this week . . . I really need to pay that off a card! but it will mess my numbers up :o
    SPC No 002 SPC(3) £285/£250 (4) £519.84/£500 (5) £768.32/£500 (6) £911.30/£600 (7) £913.23/£600 (8) £1184.82/£750 (9) £2864.04/£750 (10) £3846.25/£1000 (11) £1779.72/£1000 (12) £1596.55/£1000 (13) £1534.70/£1000 (14) £775.60/£1000 (15) £700.20/£1000 (16) £2081.34/£1000 (17) £0/£1000
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure