Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • lexilex
    I could really do with an impartial opinion.

As you may know, I was offered a job in events last Friday. I was absolutely chuffed to bits. The job isn't what I expected, although I still know very little about it. It is based in a community centre on a council estate, and I would guess budgets are very limited. The money and hours are far from perfect, but it felt like I was finally getting somewhere, getting experience in something I wouldn't mind doing as a career.

Before I went for this job I had already been for an interview for a credit controller job. They rang me this week asking to meet again, which we did today.

Because I haven't experience in the role, he wants me to start soon part-time (it was really advertised as maternity cover starting in july) spending half my time with the lady currently doing credit control, and the other half doing general office duties. He's warned me a lot of the job will involve taking abuse from from people who don't want to pay up their debt.

I came out wanting to cry. It's likely the job will lead to something permanent but it just sounds so not me. Working in an office has always been my idea of hell, but I just don't know if I can deal with people screaming down the phone at me. I am really not a very confrontational person. Even the guy interviewing me said we would have to improve my assertiveness and confidence in order to deal with this. At this point I wondered why he was even offering me the job.

The events job is 25 hours spread over 5 days on minimum wage. It's fixed term 6 months, and is about a half an hour drive from home.

The credit control job is 3 days for the first month, moving to 4 days, and then hopefully soon after becoming full-time. The money is also considerably better. The office is a five minute drive from home, and the other advantage is I could walk if need be.

What do I do? Neither job is perfect, and whichever I chose to do I will still be looking for another job, one which I went to university to do. I think the thing that has really upset me about the CC job is the idea of sitting there on the phone with someone shouting at me. I don't have much confidence at all, and I just don't know how great I would be at handling it.

There is a week between the start dates with the credit control starting first. In theory I could give that a week, or even a few days and see how it goes before contacting those at the community centre about the events job. That would be really awful of me letting them know at such short notice, but one of the guys at the job centre did tell me I should look after myself, because nobody else is going to, and I guess he is right.

Sorry for such a long post.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

237Posts Today

3,623Users online

Martin's Twitter