Support Each Other In Looking For Work?

Options

Comments

• DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I am out of work is 3 weeks and 5 days. Local authority cut backs. No redundancy pay. Me and OH are sitting down tomorrow to look at the finances to see how they look (have been putting this off).
    I am still stunned I think and I know I am going to burst into tears any time. I search for hours every day for a job but they are care work or telesales (neither of which I have the temprement for). I have applied for two since I found out I was going but had heard nothing from either.
    Good luck everyone.

all you can do is just keep on looking and apply apply and apply, maybe send out speculative cvs to local firms,

good luck
  • Stew68
    Stew68 Posts: 814 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Well here we go again........

Anybody else find they hate Monday mornings even more when they're not working than they did when they were? Maybe it's a sense of dread of another week of let downs and rejections.

Anyway good luck this week everybody.
  • Linda32
    Linda32 Posts: 4,385 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Stew68 wrote: »
    Well here we go again........

Anybody else find they hate Monday mornings even more when they're not working than they did when they were? Maybe it's a sense of dread of another week of let downs and rejections.

Yes I do, an I especially notice when the people in the Job Centre moan about them too. I sign on, on a Monday.

However, today I have some good news, I can't quite beleive it and I won't until tomorrow, but I've just had a temp offer of work for 5 months at a Nursery (Plant Nursery not Children) = dream job. :j and only occasional Saturdays ;)

I have to start tomorrow, I'll beleive it then, when the Nursery tell me, although I'm sure the agency are working on the Nurseries say so, it just nice to hear things first hand, so to speak.

I've never in my life gone to work in my allotment clothes :D it will be strange but wonderful.

Good luck all :)
  • Fruitloops
    Fruitloops Posts: 882 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Congrats Linda :T that does sound like a cool job! :D I hope all goes well with it and I'm sure it will be wonderful!

As for Mondays... I have mixed feelings. I get hopeful but by about midday I've usually become depressed about the week ahead. On the bright side, every day is another day for possibilities! (even Mondays :p)

All the best to everyone this week. Stay positive, we will get there! ;)

Out of my mind. Back in five minutes.
  • persa
    persa Posts: 735 Forumite
    Options
    I went to the Job Centre for my first appointment today. I freely admit that I was dreading it, having heard such bad things about the Job Centre, but the staff were absolutely lovely. :T

They accepted that my contract being terminated wasn't my fault and that I'm either overqualified or underqualified for the little jobs that are on the ground at the moment in my profession and that by doing further training, I'm doing my best to make myself more employable, rather than making myself not available for work. The staff I spoke to were helpful, understanding and seemed very genuine in their wishes that I find another job soon.

I have to look for work every week and keep in regular contact with agencies, but I won't get penalised for not applying for jobs with companies directly if there genuinely are none advertised. I thought I would have to sign a piece of paper saying I had to apply for X jobs every week, but I was told to talk to people, look online, look in the local papers, etc and try to complete my training successfully, to put myself in a stronger position.

To be honest, I feel a little bit blown away by how reasonable and how kind the staff were. I walked out of the Job Centre feeling incredibly positive and just want to reassure anyone reading this thread that if you are looking for work, signing on is not as scary as it's made out to be. Don't be put off making a claim if you think you're entitled to do so.
  • livermum
    livermum Posts: 556 Forumite
    edited 7 March 2011 at 11:46AM
    Options
    Right my job finishes the end of next week so I am getting very desperate right now!

Have applied for loads of jobs but don't seem to be getting anywhere. I have had my CV checked and so I don't think that my CV is the problem. I am starting to get really frustrated.

I also wanted to ask the people who have registered with employment agencies have you found them any use? I was registered with one years ago and found that it was more trouble than it was worth, but that was going back a few years.
  • persa
    Options
    livermum wrote: »
    I also wanted too ask the people who have registered with employment agencies have you found them any use? I was registered with one years ago and found that it was more trouble than it was worth, but that was going back a few years.

I think it very much depends on which agency you use. I would recommend a local one every time, rather than a national chain.

If a company needs short term temporary cover, they're more likely to ring an agency rather than place an advert. It's much quicker for them and easier, as the agency has a pool of candidates willing and able to work who have already been checked out.

Temporary cover can give you some great experience and sometimes a foot in the door.

If you know anyone in your local area who has found work through an agency, ask for a recommendation. The big chains can be quite hit and miss - you do sometimes have some great local branches, but not always. Local agencies, based in your town only, tend to be always worth a shot. Bear in mind as well that some agencies are better at placing you in certain types of jobs than others.
  • livermum
    livermum Posts: 556 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks I have just bitten the bullet and called an local agency. The girl on the phone seemed quite nice and asked me to send them my CV which I have just done. Hopefully something will come from this!
  • persa
    Options
    livermum wrote: »
    Thanks I have just bitten the bullet and called an local agency. The girl on the phone seemed quite nice and asked me to send them my CV which I have just done. Hopefully something will come from this!

The one tip I have for dealing with agencies is to call them. All the time. Once they've had a look at your CV and you've maybe had a chat with them either over the phone or in person, ring them every few days to remind them that you're looking for work and to ask if any suitable assignments have come in.

It will feel a bit uncomfortable to you at first, ringing so often, but it's expected. If you don't call, someone else who does call will get the next assignment.

Fingers crossed something does come from this for you! :T
  • lexilex
    lexilex Posts: 1,953 Forumite
    Options
    Linda32 wrote: »
    Yes I do, an I especially notice when the people in the Job Centre moan about them too. I sign on, on a Monday.

However, today I have some good news, I can't quite beleive it and I won't until tomorrow, but I've just had a temp offer of work for 5 months at a Nursery (Plant Nursery not Children) = dream job. :j and only occasional Saturdays ;)

I have to start tomorrow, I'll beleive it then, when the Nursery tell me, although I'm sure the agency are working on the Nurseries say so, it just nice to hear things first hand, so to speak.

I've never in my life gone to work in my allotment clothes :D it will be strange but wonderful.

Good luck all :)

Congratulations, really happy for you :j

Thanks everyone for the advice regarding the credit control/events jobs.

I've taken the weekend to think about it and I think, despite my reservations, I am going to go for the credit control job. I babysat for the manager of the other office (one company, two offices) over the weekend and she asked how I felt. I told her I was really nervous about it, and she said don't be, the woman who is in the position at the moment learned it all from scratch, she began in a receptionist role. It's made me feel much better.

I still haven't let the events company know. I'm due to start in credit control next week, and the events start date is the week after, so if it really is completely awful I can still fall back on that.

I will still apply for jobs, and do the daily search, but it will be nice to just be able to apply for jobs I want to do, rather than anything which is what I have been doing since christmas.

Who knows, I might enjoy it, but if not, it's a job. I'm there 8 hours a day, only a couple of days a week to begin, and then I come home and don't have to think about it. I'm just grateful to be getting paid!

Good luck everyone. I'll keep checking in, and hopefully not just to moan about how completely awful credit control is!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure