PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

moving house costs you didn't account for

Options

Comments

• clockworks_2
    Options
    There was a debt on the meter at the time. I have to say i was very impressed by your company's service. They sent me out a key with a code so i can reset the meter ( and also told me where i could pick one up from) as well as phoning me up on the day of completion to make sure i had managed to reset the meter ok which is a very nice touch!
  • poppysocks1
    Options
    Moving in and finding no tv signal AT ALL so had to install sky..... so £50 plus monthly subscription of £27 ish.

Telephone line didnt work - engineer came out - luckily it was BT fault not ours!

Gas leak - sorted at no cost to us.

Wall breaking - need to get this mended at cost but not done yet.

So not as bad as your record but just irritating!
  • Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc
    Former_E.ON_Company_Representative:_Malc Posts: 6,558 Organisation Representative
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    clockworks wrote: »
    There was a debt on the meter at the time. I have to say i was very impressed by your company's service. They sent me out a key with a code so i can reset the meter ( and also told me where i could pick one up from) as well as phoning me up on the day of completion to make sure i had managed to reset the meter ok which is a very nice touch!

Many thanks for your kind comments clockworks. They are much appreciated. :beer:
    The debt would have belonged to the previous occupant. The new key and code will have removed this so you should have been able to change supplier at this time. Sorry if this wasn't made clear to you.

Malc
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • Glitzkiss
    Glitzkiss Posts: 5,326 Forumite
    Options
    Well, I thought I'd budgeted for most things when I bought my house including a new boiler and bathroom as they were ancient and the price I paid reflected this. What I didn't think about is that the pipework would be in a strange place and would need replaced along with several floorboards.

My plumber contacted me to say the pipework for the central heating system was not beneath the floorboards as they would have expected and that I may want to investigate further. Sure enough pulling up the the carpet revealed a flooring that was almost cardboard like in consistency with drawings on it indicating where the pipes were. Once this was removed to reveal the actual floorboards we could see that thin sections had been cut out of them and the pipework was placed in these cutaway sections. It's a bit hard to explain so I'll try and post a picture later.

Furthermore they hadn't dissected the floorboards evenly leaving boards that sunk if you stood on them (those will be the ones highlighted in the survey as may need replacing in time then :rolleyes:) but probably worst of all who ever fitted the central heating had lagged the pipes with newspaper that had been slowly singeing over time :eek: Oh and there had been undetected leaks too :cool:

Next time I buy a house I'm going to insist on being shown where all the pipework is before I put in an offer :p:D
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 47,143 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Next time I buy a house I'm going to insist on being shown where all the pipework is before I put in an offer
    :rotfl: :rotfl:

Don't buy my house, the pipes go through the walls, I'm not ripping walls out to prove to you where the pipes are.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • clockworks_2
    Options
    i want to see the pics! Sounds interesting!
  • Glitzkiss
    Options
    silvercar wrote: »
    :rotfl: :rotfl:

Don't buy my house, the pipes go through the walls, I'm not ripping walls out to prove to you where the pipes are.

Can you supply a portable xray machine ;):rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
  • Glitzkiss
    edited 10 November 2009 at 6:08PM
    Options
    clockworks wrote: »
    i want to see the pics! Sounds interesting!

This may go dreadfully wrong as I've never tried to post pics before

here goes

e738812f.jpg

ETA: hey it worked :j:j:j
  • clockworks_2
    Options
    crikey never seen pipes laid diagonal across the floor like that! and cut into the floors!
  • poppysarah
    poppysarah Posts: 11,522 Forumite
    Options
    WOW!! That's stunning!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts