EON Capped v15 to ???

Options

Comments

• KimYeovil
    KimYeovil Posts: 6,156 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I'm intrigued to see if I can identify such a saving, as I feel that 28% is extremely high when comparing like for like.

Don't play innocent. You know perfectly well that your cheapest tariff is more than 50% more expensive than the best tariffs for low consumptions. 28% is a relatively small premium and can be easily imagined.
  • E.ON_Company_Representative
    E.ON_Company_Representative Posts: 806 Organisation Representative
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi KimYeovil,

I didn't intend to 'play innocent', if you're a very low user I can see where customers may make such a saving as you suggest.

My response earlier was directed to property.advert, whom I assumed was an average to high electricity user, with being an all electric property. I did request the usage figures in my last post, so I could look into this further.

I maybe wrong and he may use very little, thanks for pointing this out.

Brian
    Official Company Representative
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • alexh
    alexh Posts: 7 Forumite
    edited 22 September 2009 at 8:48PM
    Options
    My experiences is that most energy switching websites deliberately deceive and push poorer deals with larger kickbacks to the top by ignoring / not correctly calculating discounts and not showing all available tariffs from other providers.

My experience shows that most energy supplier websites ALSO will attempt to deliberately deceive you and make it as difficult as possible to direct compare with competitors. The most common one is to use non standard UNITS and try to pass them off as standard UNITS or the industry standard KWh. Another is to have a two tier rate but have a substantially different tier ceiling to competitors and hide the ceiling value in the small print. The third is to have standing charges wildly different but using a rate which is very complicated and difficult to calculate.

The overall result is it is very difficult to instantly compare like with like.

I am in the same situation most people are. My old deals are now over, I have reverted to Standard price for electricity with my local electricity supplier (Southern Electric) & standard price for Gas with British Gas.

I've looked several times at individual and dual fuel packages including discounts from most providers.

Usually nPower comes top of any switching website, but their tariffs are difficult (but not impossible) to calculate because of the large discounts they offer and relatively high price per KWh . But even nPower's own price comparison calculator is reporting (for the number of KWh I use annually) a negative (i.e. no) saving over Southern Electric's GoDirect tariff.

28% seems very high. For my region (Southern) the Southern Electric GoDirect is a 13.5% saving over their standard monthly direct debit electricity price and a comparable saving for Gas. This is factoring in all possible savings, paperless billing, direct debit, GoDirect rebate and the £40 discount.

HOWEVER 13.5% better than Southern Electric's standard tariff may not be a 13.5% saving over competitors. (But the nPower price comparison, to me, is a good indicator that Southern Electric's GoDirect could be a good deal)

But Southern Electric are fakers, their website prices are all in UNITS and no-where on their website is a description of these units. Not a problem for electicity because it is standard for 1 unit = 1 KWh (!!!!!! don't they just put that then!) but gas quoted in units usually needs to be converted.

At first I thought this would be the standard conversion formula

1 Unit ~= 31 KWh

But that cannot be right because look at the prices!!

British Gas Click 6 = Tier 1 : 6.004p/KWh Tier 2 : 2.78p/KWh
    Southern Electric GoDirect = Tier 1 : 3.66p/Unit Tier 2 : 2.75p/Unit

If it was 31 KWh / Unit then their gas would be the cheapest ever!

So, does Southern Electric gas 1 Unit = 1 KWh?

If it is, then GoDirect is (for a light to medium user) the best deal on the market (in the Southern area)

But without knowing for sure, I cannot sign up :(
  • Colin_London
    Options
    We're coming off Price Protection 17. Using accurate figures in kWh for our last 12 months usage I found that EDF Online Tariff v5 was the cheapest option working out £125.92 p.a. cheaper than our current product! :T

However, EON Fix Online v3 came in at £108.68 cheaper, a difference of only £17.24. When you consider we get about £12 in Tesco vouchers a year due to points from EON it really wasn't worth the hassle of changing supplier :rolleyes:

I know Fix Online v3 has a £30 contract termination fee before 1st December 2010 but the recent pronouncements from all energy suppliers that there will be NO MORE PRICE CUTS made me think it was time to fix.

Of course, this is probably a huge bluff and they'll all cut their rates straight after 1st October :mad:

Some questions about Fix Online v3:

1) The £30 is chargeable if we change supplier or change plan before 1/12/10. But the T's & C's state that we could then be switched to 'another similar plan' presumably also with a cancellation charge. How can we ever get out of contract without paying the £30? Is there a period around 1/12/10 where this would be allowed?

2) Presumably as we have not changed supplier we will still get a discount on our next bill. Is this part old tariff discount and part new tariff discount, or affected in some other way due to the date of the plan change?

Ta!
    Options
    Some questions about Fix Online v3:

1) The £30 is chargeable if we change supplier or change plan before 1/12/10. But the T's & C's state that we could then be switched to 'another similar plan' presumably also with a cancellation charge. How can we ever get out of contract without paying the £30? Is there a period around 1/12/10 where this would be allowed?

2) Presumably as we have not changed supplier we will still get a discount on our next bill. Is this part old tariff discount and part new tariff discount, or affected in some other way due to the date of the plan change?

Ta!

Hi Colin_London,

A couple of weeks before the 1 December 2010, you are likely to be written to; about the tariff we will change you too at the end of the term. This is likely to be a similar tariff; we try to change customers in these circumstances to a like for like tariff.

If we are going to change you from a fixed tariff with a cancellation fee, we may put you on another tariff going forward that also has fixed prices, however we won’t have a cancellation fee on this tariff.

This means you can either take the new fixed offer (if offered) or change to another tariff and not pay a cancellation fee.

This is currently the case for customers coming to an end on our last Capped offers ending the 1st October 2009, Price Protection and Energy Saver, we have written to customers to say they will be placed on to a like for like style of tariff, i.e. Capped, but if they chose not to want this tariff they can change from the new tariff without paying a charge.

The change of tariff can be before the end date, or when they start on the new tariff, even if they have been on it for a time period.

In regards to the discount, you will not lose any discount when changing tariff the discount is calculated up to the date the tariff changes and so you earn x amount of discount for the whole time you are on x tariff. Then it is calculated from the change of tariff date on the new (or different) going forward at the new discount amount.

Brian:)
    I am an official company representative of E.ON. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • Knight
    Options
    Thanks for reply Brian, but this does not answer the question from the EON Cancellation Charges thread, where you referred to answering the question in this thread. Charlie12 asked on the 14/09/09 in thread "EON Cancellation charge for FixOnline3"

Does this charge apply if I stay with Eon? For example can I sign up for FixOnline 3 and then move to SaveOnline (or another Eon tariff) at a later date (before Dec 2010) without penalty?

If so, if I switch to an Eon tariff that doesn't have a cancellation charge and then switch provider before December 2010, will the £30 charge from the original tariff I was on be charged at this point?
    and you answered in post 3 of that thread on the 14/09 :
    Hi charlie12,

Nice and easy response for you here. The cancellation fee of £30 on FixOnline version 3 is only applicable to customers who change supplier.

If you changed tariff within E.ON the charge wouldn’t apply. Also, if you change tariff to one without a cancellation fee, we won’t apply it retrospectively if you leave us and join another supplier.

Brian :)

However, you are now saying that the charge will now not be applied only if we moved tariff near the end date. Please clarify, as I am moving to FixOnline3 on the basis that I can move to another tariff at any point before 1/12/10 without incurring a charge.
    Options
    Hi Knight,

The non charging of cancellation fees I have mentioned are relevant to customers at present, so those coming towards the end date of their respective tariffs.

The T&C states we may charge for changing tariff before the end date, in regards to the future I can't guarantee you that you won't be charged the cancellation fee, between signing up to FixOnline version 3 now and the end date of December 2010 or even near the end off this term.

Again, My previous comment reffered to those switching from a tariff ending soon.

Sorry for any confusion, I may have misunderstood Charlies original post.

In a nutshell the T&C stands correct, if you now sign up to FixOnline v3, you may or may not be charged that cancellation fee.

• Colin_London
    Options
    Hi Colin_London,

A couple of weeks before the 1 December 2010, you are likely to be written to; about the tariff we will change you too at the end of the term. This is likely to be a similar tariff; we try to change customers in these circumstances to a like for like tariff.

If we are going to change you from a fixed tariff with a cancellation fee, we may put you on another tariff going forward that also has fixed prices, however we won’t have a cancellation fee on this tariff.

This means you can either take the new fixed offer (if offered) or change to another tariff and not pay a cancellation fee.

This is currently the case for customers coming to an end on our last Capped offers ending the 1st October 2009, Price Protection and Energy Saver, we have written to customers to say they will be placed on to a like for like style of tariff, i.e. Capped, but if they chose not to want this tariff they can change from the new tariff without paying a charge.

The change of tariff can be before the end date, or when they start on the new tariff, even if they have been on it for a time period.

In regards to the discount, you will not lose any discount when changing tariff the discount is calculated up to the date the tariff changes and so you earn x amount of discount for the whole time you are on x tariff. Then it is calculated from the change of tariff date on the new (or different) going forward at the new discount amount.

Brian:)

Thanks for the answer Brian. Quite clear to me now, and can understand that you cannot be precise about the period at the end of the contract when we can change tariff without charge. (T's and C's are what counts after all).

As long as you are correct in that you will not lock us into another contract with termination fee after 1/12/10 without the opportunity to change, then I am happy. What would not be acceptable would be if we were continually locked in to a fixed contract with termination fee without the opportunity to break out.

Unfortunately some others have taken your previous post to have been referring to Fix Online 3 when in fact you were talking about current fixed contracts that are about to expire now. You might want to PM the person(s) who may have chosen FixOnline 3 based on your advise, as they could have signed up to a contract on the basis of a misunderstanding.
  • OnTheUp_2-2
    Options
    Can anyone tell me how much I would save moving from the save online standing charge to the fix online with eon??
    gas annual in kwh 19578 and elec is 6630..
    Options
    Hi OnTheUp,

FixOnline will be slightly cheaper than your current SaveOnline tariff as it offers a higher amount of discount; the prices are the same per unit though.

I can’t tell you how much more you’ll save, so try putting your details in a comparison site. Alternatively your online account will display any other tariffs available and show any financial difference between them and the current product you have.

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure