PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Old Style vs the USDA head-to-head challenge...

Options

Comments

• weezl74
    weezl74 Posts: 8,701 Forumite
    Options
    :T:T:beer::j:A:T:T

wow!

And what great pics!

My flabber is completely gasted.

Purple princess how many good sized dinners did it make and I'll adjust my cals and nutrition profile accordingly.

Well done you.

Weezl x

:hello:Jonathan 'Fergie' Fergus William, born 05/03/09, 7lb 4.4oz:hello:
    :)Benjamin 'Kezzie' Kester Jacob, born 18/03/10, 7lb 5oz:)
    cash neutral gifts 2011, value of purchased gifts/actual paid/amount earnt to cover it £67/£3.60/£0
    january grocery challenge, feed 4 of us for £40
  • **purpleprincess**
    Options
    weezl74 wrote: »
    :T:T:beer::j:A:T:T

wow!

And what great pics!

My flabber is completely gasted.

Purple princess how many good sized dinners did it make and I'll adjust my cals and nutrition profile accordingly.

Well done you.

Weezl x
    :o:D

There was that one plateful in the picture and it made three of these big platefuls, there is loads there though so you might get away with four platefuls, but say 3 hungry people and I reckon you'd be covered!! It's 4 meals for us two though, 2 for dinner tonight and 2 lunches tomorrow!!

Fankoo!! Happy to help!

x
    Official DFW Nerd no. 082! :cool:
    Debt @ 01/01/2014 £16,956 Debt now: £0.00 :j
    Aims:[STRIKE] clear debt, get married, buy a house[/STRIKE] :D ALL DONE!!
  • **purpleprincess**
    Options
    Oh yeah, and so so quick to do too!! From ingredients to plate in definitely less than half hour!

Could push 20 minutes!!

x
  • weezl74
    Options
    :o:D

There was that one plateful in the picture and it made three of these big platefuls, there is loads there though so you might get away with four platefuls, but say 3 hungry people and I reckon you'd be covered!! It's 4 meals for us two though, 2 for dinner tonight and 2 lunches tomorrow!!

Fankoo!! Happy to help!

x

Brilliant news, at three generous serves that makes it 28p per large dinner portion.

Great stuff, and thank you so much for being willing to be a taste tester. Was the OH impressed too, we need a man opinion.

ceridwen any results from the organic option? I wait with baited (bated?) breath...

Weezl x

cash neutral gifts 2011, value of purchased gifts/actual paid/amount earnt to cover it £67/£3.60/£0
  • **purpleprincess**
    Options
    weezl74 wrote: »
    Brilliant news, at three generous serves that makes it 28p per large dinner portion.

Great stuff, and thank you so much for being willing to be a taste tester. Was the OH impressed too, we need a man opinion.

ceridwen any results from the organic option? I wait with baited (bated?) breath...

Weezl x

No problem at all, happy to help.

He's not home yet! He'll be in about half an hour. I've decided to serve it up cold for dinner. Although if he wants it hot I will heat it up. Will post as soon as we've eaten!

I'm looking forward to it as it is yummy!!
  • **purpleprincess**
    Options
    Right, had the taste test from boyf and thumbs up!! He would definitely eat it again and he even ate the sultanas!!

This made us two big dinners and three medium lunches, we're both taking it for lunch tomorrow and then we're going to share the remainder with a big salad on Saturday!!

This is now in my little recipe book, this is where I keep our faves and regular recipes!

xx
  • weezl74
    Options
    Oh I'm so pleased!

Thank you, thank you for your taste-testing, recipe tweaks and feedback.

Here's a virtual beer for you both, as I can't afford a real one ;)
    :beer::beer:

• Bunny200
    Bunny200 Posts: 627 Forumite
    Options
    I've followed this thread almost from the start and am so impressed that we are at the middle of May and you haven't starved and you actually have some money left!! I never thought it would be possible but you are doing it, and not just eating cheaply but eating well. It just goes to show with a little planning we can do anything!

I've harvested quite a few recipes, especially lentilly/beany recipe as I've only recently started experimenting with pulses as I always turned my nose up before and had meat, now things are a bit tighter I've actually enjoyed it, never thought I'd enjoy Lentil Curry so much!

I really hope this experiment can be extended and used to help other people, as we're all aware things are going to get worse for some people before they get better, and whilst we can always survive a few months on beans on toast you have shown that with a little imagination and a heap of dedication you can eat like a king! I hope all the information, recipes, nutitional info and pricings can be easily accessed by other people. You should think about setting up a blog and then try to get a publishing deal as its gonna be useful to people over the next couple of years.

Thank you for giving me much food for thought (I might have come round to idea of pulses but nettles aren't gonna feature in my diet soon and the posting about animals blood was very quickly skipped over!:rotfl:

You are the best and I'm in awe:A
  • ceridwen
    ceridwen Posts: 11,547 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi

My version coming up tomorrow for dinner I reckon.

I've been out doing a bit of the shopping for it today - so one or two bits still to get and/or price up tomorrow.

So - I've visited my health food shop today and emerged with:
    organic couscous - £2.70 per kg
    organic sunflower oil (cheapest one there was) - £3.69 per litre
    garam masala - 35p per 50 grammes
    curry powder - 65p per 50 grammes
    organic sultanas - £1.65 per 500 grammes

my tweaking consists of there is unlikely to be organic frozen finebeans anywhere near me in the shops and there wasnt finebeans of any description in the H.F. Shop - so I bought a large organic courgette at 54p and smallish head of organic broccoli for 60p.

So - got to price up the canned organic tomatoes tomorrow and the latest mustard price (so its off to Tesco for that) and I need some more organic onions (ditto Tesco).

So - I'm now into calculating how many cloves of garlic there are per bulb. Thinks....do I painstakingly pull one apart and count or take a wild guess and assume that each garlic bulb has say 10 cloves?

Will re-emerge when I've finished that costing out and done my bit of cooking to report back. So far - I'm hazarding a wild guess that mine will come in at around £1 per portion - ie a lot dearer than yours, but noticeably cheaper than the average readymeal.

See you later.
  • weezl74
    Options
    hi ceridwen :D

Looking forward to it! If you can't be bothered to do the maths, I'm sure I can work it out from your quantities and what you've posted already...

Bunny200, hello and welcome (and such nice compliments :o:D). I'd love us all to write a book together out of this thread, I reckon we've all got such a lot to contribute! I have got a blog brewing (no really I have!) and I'll keep you all posted when it's live.

The new amended recipe values courtesy of purpleprincess are as follows (dividing her batch into 3 generous main meals):

cals per serving: 553
    percentages are of your recommended daily amount for an adult woman (sodium again in red as an amount you mustn't exceed):

Calcium (mg)
    16.38%
    Iron (mg)
    28.16%
    Magnesium (mg)
    31.61%
    Phosphorus (mg)
    35.58%
    Potassium (mg)
    25.93%
    Sodium (mg)
    12.06%
    Zinc (mg)
    19.64%
    Copper (mg)
    49.67%
    Manganese (mg)
    29.55%
    Selenium (mcg)
    1.66%
    Vitamin C (mg)
    63.68%
    Thiamin (mg)
    29.36%
    Riboflavin (mg)
    24.64%
    Niacin (mg)
    38.80%
    Pantothenic acid (mg)
    31.12%
    Vitamin B6 (mg)
    36.15%
    Folate (mcg)
    17.96%
    Vitamin B12 (mcg)
    0.00%
    Vitamin A_IU (IU)
    76.14%
    Vitamin A_RAE (mcg retinol activity equivalents)
    3.83%
    Vitamin E alpha-tocopherol (mg)
    31.91%
    Vitamin K ( phylloquinone) (mcg)
    85.75%
    Alpha-carotene (mcg)
    363.92%

Love to all,

Weezl x

P.S anyone seen Bails? I've got some nettle thoughts....!;)

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport