PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Old Style vs the USDA head-to-head challenge...

Options

Comments

• In_Search_Of_Me
    In_Search_Of_Me Posts: 10,634 Forumite
    Options
    Evening all! Just tryig to suss sykpe out!! What fun! Weezl I need help - spent almost 50 in sains :(. A cunning plan is needed! Analysing it think it was the "ooo I need this, this & this" which of course I prob didnt - roughy translated as "panic!". Was tired too so not a good time to shop...am cross with myself now but whats done is done. Halfway round almost just left the trolley and wish I had! Kept totalling it up as I went round and gestimated at 30 so had a fit when it was almost 50!! One good thing is I have most things now just need a cunning plan when you get a mo - even just suggestions would help!
    I'm up for the recipe challenge! A great idea, esp as I now have loads in lol!
    Nerd no 109 Long haulers supporters DFW #1! Even in the darkest moments, love and hope are always possible.

• weezl74
    weezl74 Posts: 8,701 Forumite
    Options
    And did you get the free milk???

I propose a 'let's get in search of me's £50 shop to last as long as possible' challenge.

ISOM, you post the reciept (you can scribble things out if you bought 'ladies things' :rotfl:)

and we get to make thrifty healthy suggestions, then ceridwen and purpleprincess do a taste test, shaz does some of her beautiful photography of the outcomes, and I give each one a full breakdown of previously unheard of nutrients. ;) Oh I love it when a plan comes together!:T

:hello:Jonathan 'Fergie' Fergus William, born 05/03/09, 7lb 4.4oz:hello:
    :)Benjamin 'Kezzie' Kester Jacob, born 18/03/10, 7lb 5oz:)
    cash neutral gifts 2011, value of purchased gifts/actual paid/amount earnt to cover it £67/£3.60/£0
    january grocery challenge, feed 4 of us for £40
  • In_Search_Of_Me
    In_Search_Of_Me Posts: 10,634 Forumite
    Options
    The contents of the house goes along the lines of I panicked and got everything! May be easier to say what I didnt buy....! I have tinned fruit, beans, pasta, quinoi (yummy actually!), some meat, chicken, cheese, coke, cereal, flour (enough for a bakery lol!) butter, oats...you name it really!! I did wonder if I put it all in my supermarket if it would confirm that I was an idot & should have gone to tesco (or even worse asda!!) & how much I could have saved. Will it do that and if it does do I want to lol!?
    Nerd no 109 Long haulers supporters DFW #1! Even in the darkest moments, love and hope are always possible.

• ceridwen
    ceridwen Posts: 11,547 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi Weezl

Nope - I think I got the amount of chilli about right. So - dont think I would be making any alterations to my version of the recipe. Obviously - could substitute other veg for the broccoli and courgette I used - depending on what was available. Cauliflower, for instance, could be a possible substitute.
    Personally - I like my food a bit on the spicy side, but without the mouth blast effect - so it came about right for me.
    Well - as for taste tests - its an "open field" - allcomers who wish to enter do so:D Could be half a dozen might want to road-test one recipe and only one the next one - depends how busy people are, whether the particular recipe is one they think they might fancy, etc - all sorts of variables.

There's a wide-open field to experiment in: drinks, breakfasts, packed lunches, etc - I think we could think up quite a lot between us.
  • jenid
    jenid Posts: 180 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks very much for the recipe Weezl I'm definately going to give it a try!

The spicey cous cous sounds lovely by the way, do you think the same recipe would be nice with Quinoa (have I spelt that righg?) Have a big bag full that I need to start using!

Oh, which reminds me, Weezl which of the basic 'carb' type foods would you say is the most nutritous/healthy? Because of the budget we've been eating more pasta/rice/cous cous/potatoes and I'm a tad worried these aren't really adding anything good to our diet (calories and taste aside) What's your opinion?
  • pebbles88
    pebbles88 Posts: 1,464 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hiya,

Weezl,

thank you ever so much for posting the onion relish recipe, i love this stuff so much but on my grocery challenge it is only an occasional treat!!

cant believe it is so cheap and easy to make, i know what all of my family are getting for crimbo this year!! :rotfl:

thanks again!!

PS - i am going to have a go at your kidney bean pate tomorrow but going to try aduki beans instead ( i have loads!!) will the same quantities be ok??
    Please be nice to all moneysavers!
    Dance like nobody's watching; love like you've never been hurt. Sing like nobody's listening; live like it's heaven on earth."
    Big big thanks to Niddy, sorely missed from these boards..best cybersupport ever!!
  • weezl74
    Options
    hi pebbles88,

Aduki bean pate sounds lush, I guess the amounts wouldn't vary too much, try a taste test and post the recipe you come up with, we'd all love to see it!;)

JeniD I shall certainly do some research for you. My hunch is that Quinoa will emerge best, as it gets touted as a 'superfood'.:D But we shall see.

Back tomorrow with my research.

Weezl x

cash neutral gifts 2011, value of purchased gifts/actual paid/amount earnt to cover it £67/£3.60/£0
  • ceridwen
    ceridwen Posts: 11,547 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    postscript to spicy couscous recipe:

Just taken a look and quick taste of what I had left over from yesterday. Hmmm..noticed that the couscous hasnt gone all clidgy as cold couscous usually does (ie sticking together in large lumps). Must be the cooking technique is an improvement on my usual version - note to self: must remember to give one thorough stir to couscous when I add the cooking liquid to it before I put that saucepan lid on and leave for 4 minutes. Other note to self: must remember to "fork through" couscous when it has finished cooking to fluff up. Must be one or both of those little technique-y things that has stopped it going all clidgy this time. Must remember that one.

Thinking I will have some more of it today cold with jacket potato with fromage frais and chopped-up wild garlic.
  • weezl74
    Options
    ...and 'clidgy' is a superb word, and should definately appear in our book what we're writing...;)

wonders away to check my book on 'delusions of grandeur'....:D

Seriously though, how very interesting, do you think the oil in the liquid keeps the grains more loosely packed?

I hadn't really considered that clidginess, and was anticipating big batches being made and frozen. But people might end up with a big cube as their dinner! :eek:Hmmmn will have a ponder...

Weezl x

• purpleivy
    purpleivy Posts: 3,573 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Clidgy?? I use the word 'clacky' but clidgy is good as well!
    [SIZE=-1]"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"[/SIZE]
    Trying not to waste food!:j
    ETA Philosophy is wondering whether a Bloody Mary counts as a Smoothie
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family