Can we do anything about toxic posts?

Options
Herzlos
Herzlos Posts: 14,688 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
It seems almost every thread has some smart arris chipping in with something totally irrelevant like digs at the choice of car/brand when the post is about finance terms. As I understand it this sub forum has a bad repution for toxicity already, which is a shame because there's a lot of good advice hidden amongst the snark and gloating.

Can we do anything about it or should I just find a better place to talk about cars.

Comments

• martinthebandit
    Options
    Personally I just skim over the irrelevant posts in any thread.

Not sure my definition of toxic agrees with yours though.
  • Merlin139
    Merlin139 Posts: 6,860 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Herzlos wrote: »
    It seems almost every thread has some smart arris chipping in with something totally irrelevant like digs at the choice of car/brand when the post is about finance terms. As I understand it this sub forum has a bad repution for toxicity already, which is a shame because there's a lot of good advice hidden amongst the snark and gloating.

Can we do anything about it or should I just find a better place to talk about cars.

2 choices:

Scroll past,

or

Anytime you get a post that falls into the category you are referring too add them to your ignore list. View profile and add to ignore list under user lists. You will know they have posted in future but it says they are on ignore list.
    3.795 kWp Solar PV System. Capital of the Wolds

• LandyAndy
    LandyAndy Posts: 26,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options

I vote you should go somewhere else. ;)
  • arcon5
    arcon5 Posts: 14,099 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Or the regulars that accuse every new member of being dark matter
  • iolanthe07
    iolanthe07 Posts: 5,493 Forumite
    Options
    I've never read anything really abusive on here - just sometimes the teasing and banter similar to what you might find in a pub when people are discussing their cars. Some people are too quick to take offence.
    I used to think that good grammar is important, but now I know that good wine is importanter.
  • reeac
    reeac Posts: 1,430 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I read and sometimes contribute to a Jaguar owners forum as I have a much-loved xj8. It's certainly true that there's no shouty roundabout/Lane discipline stuff in that forum .... it's mainly technical queries and info. and some of it is very detailed and worth knowing.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If you think something breaks the forum rules, then hit the report button. It's that simple.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options

That's no doubt aimed at least in part at me. Fortunately it's not up to you to decide what is and isn't relevant to a thread, although you could always try the report option as Adrian suggests if it really riles you.
  • Iceweasel
    Iceweasel Posts: 4,708 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 13 December 2017 at 2:56PM
    Options
    reeac wrote: »
    I read and sometimes contribute to a Jaguar owners forum as I have a much-loved xj8. It's certainly true that there's no shouty roundabout/Lane discipline stuff in that forum .... it's mainly technical queries and info. and some of it is very detailed and worth knowing.

It's the same on the BMW forums.
  • MoneyMate
    MoneyMate Posts: 3,225 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Merlin139 wrote: »
    2 choices:

Scroll past,

or

Anytime you get a post that falls into the category you are referring too add them to your ignore list. View profile and add to ignore list under user lists. You will know they have posted in future but it says they are on ignore list.

You could also report these time wasters Button under thread
    There are more questions than answers :shhh: :silenced:
    WARNING ! May go silent for unfriendly replies
    Please excuse me Spell it MOST times :o
    :)
    :A UK Resident :A
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income