Can we do anything about toxic posts?

Options
1235»

Comments

• JustAnotherSaver
    Options
    Herzlos wrote: »
    It seems almost every thread has some smart arris chipping in with something totally irrelevant like digs at the choice of car/brand when the post is about finance terms. As I understand it this sub forum has a bad repution for toxicity already, which is a shame because there's a lot of good advice hidden amongst the snark and gloating.

Can we do anything about it or should I just find a better place to talk about cars.
    I would say welcome to MSE. I usually try skip the nonsense and fish out the helpful posts but it can get irritating at times.

You want to try the employment forum if you think motoring is bad!!!
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Cornucopia wrote: »
    If you have the cash to meet the payments, then it's a way of getting a new car without tying up a large amount of capital. It also protects against excessive depreciation.

For people who want/need to budget plan in detail, it also provides a simple, fixed payment that rolls up the financing and depreciation of the vehicle.

I don't think we should be writing-off PCPs just because some people haven't understood them. I'd add that MSE isn't just about money-saving, but is also about "spending it well".

Having said that, my experience (on only my second PCP) of paying c. £200pm rather than taking on a £17k depreciating asset has some money-saving aspects to it, I would say.

Exactly, I've just "bought" a car with a £25k list price that in 2 years will probably be worth £15k, however I'm getting it for £200/month e.g. £5k over 2 years instead of £9k, and that's a certain spend, it might be worth even less and cost me more.

Obviously if this was only "Money Saving Expert" I shouldn't have done that, I "should" have bought a £500 banger and run it until it falls to bits. Which is one POV but would make this a very dull forum if that was the answer to every Q !
  • vikingaero
    vikingaero Posts: 10,920 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I agree with the OP.

The behaviour on here is modest compared to HotUKDeals. When someone posts - Brand new Dacia Sandero £4,995 or a similar non-premium car, then all the BMW/Mercedes driving 15 year olds start shouting down the deal.

I have cars bought outright and a car on PCP/Lease. My private cars are purchased outright as they are long term keepers. My daily car is paid for by a car allowance and that makes sense to lease. Each person is different and the best mode of purchase differs too.
    The man without a signature.
  • takman
    takman Posts: 3,876 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    AnotherJoe wrote: »
    Exactly, I've just "bought" a car with a £25k list price that in 2 years will probably be worth £15k, however I'm getting it for £200/month e.g. £5k over 2 years instead of £9k, and that's a certain spend, it might be worth even less and cost me more.

Obviously if this was only "Money Saving Expert" I shouldn't have done that, I "should" have bought a £500 banger and run it until it falls to bits. Which is one POV but would make this a very dull forum if that was the answer to every Q !

Personally i think that money saving is getting what you want/need for the best possible price (not just the cheapest possible). So if you only want the use of a car for 2 years which is brand new and want to spend a specific amount of money for it each month then that may be the best money saving deal you could get for those specific requirements.

But i don't see a problem with people asking questions and suggesting other ways that may meet your requirements and save you money.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure