Can we do anything about toxic posts?

Options

Comments

• tho_2
    tho_2 Posts: 326 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    agrinnall wrote: »
    As it was my post I feel I should respond to this. At the time I posted it looked like the OP in that thread might have to walk away from the purchase that they intended to make (although that seems to have resolved itself now). So I took the opportunity to point out my view that it gave the OP a chance to look elsewhere (and I never said "Renault are terrible", even though I think they are, those are your words). I still think it was a moneysaving post, if the OP buys and then in 6 months regrets that decision and sells then they'll have lost a lot of money.

If you like Renault/Nissan cars that's perfectly fine, I don't like them so I'm not sure why you feel I can't express that view too.

You didn't word it like that though did you? You put (i've looked it up, to avoid misquoting you twice) "Probably a lucky escape if you were considering buying a Renault." followed by (after someone pointed out that it could be a Nissan) "Absolutely. Neither company makes a vehicle I'd be interested in, with the possible exception of a GT-R."

If you'd worded it as "Gives you a chance to walk away, I don't rate Renault's because of x, y and z" it might have been a bit less blunt, and hey, actually given the advice you're intending. The fact was they weren't asking for car advice, they were asking for finance advice. They've presumably taken on several test drives of many brands, might have the features/drive/style they want. It is a open forum, and your guidance may save them money long run (in your opinion), but it wasn't the advice they were after at the time.
  • wgl2014
    wgl2014 Posts: 1,144 Forumite
    Options
    End of the day it's an open forum, feel free to ignore or disregard posts you don't like but (with the exception of obvious trolling) people's opinions will vary. Even if things go a bit off topic it may bring up some relevant questions the OP hadn't previously considered.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    takman wrote: »
    I don't see why anyone would use the ignore list feature. If someone is posting unrelated spam to advertise a website / service etc or if they are purposely being offensive then they will soon be banned and pays removed.

So if you have to put an active forum member on your ignore list you must be a pretty sensitive person or be one of the people who have a problem with people who have a different opinion than you.
    I have used the ignore list... but never for "active forum members". Only for the repeat identities of the tiny handful of hardcore idiots. TBF, either I'm getting poor at spotting them, or they're getting bored, because I've not noticed the two usual suspects here for a while.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    tho wrote: »
    ...but it wasn't the advice they were after at the time.

Well, if your view is that we can only post things that precisely correspond with what the OP asks you're welcome to do that, but it's sometimes better to think more widely and provide responses to things that weren't asked. I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on the subject.
  • tho_2
    tho_2 Posts: 326 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    I do love when people selectively quote. If you include the four lines above I said a way you could have given all that and opened up the debate.
  • Jackmydad
    Jackmydad Posts: 9,186 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    AdrianC wrote: »
    I have used the ignore list... but never for "active forum members". Only for the repeat identities of the tiny handful of hardcore idiots. TBF, either I'm getting poor at spotting them, or they're getting bored, because I've not noticed the two usual suspects here for a while.
    I reckon that hardcore idiots, here and elsewhere, get tired of it after a while. Especially when people know their style and don't feed them.
    I don't generally use the ignore list on forums, but I've been tempted with some people in the past.
    But it's an open forum here. I expect all sorts.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    tho wrote: »
    I do love when people selectively quote. If you include the four lines above I said a way you could have given all that and opened up the debate.

Yes you did, but as I don't have a time machine I can't go back and post according to your requirements.
  • n217970
    n217970 Posts: 338 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    At the risk of this being labeled a "toxic post"...

OP - Are you currently or have you ever been an owner of a Renault/Nissan? I know one or two people who have bought a crap car, they know its a crap car but they can't admit its a crap car and so leap to its defense at every given chance in an overly sensitive way.
  • supersaver2
    Options
    Must admit I don’t post on here often, and it does have a terrible reputation. I mainly post on a detailing websites where you’d never have somebody slate your car choice. No petty jealousy or digs either, we have guys in M3’s who are genuinely chuffed to see a well mainted Clio Sport. If I were looking for advice I wouldn’t start a thread on this forum sadly. Other boards on this site aren’t like this and I wonder why?
  • Robisere
    Robisere Posts: 3,237 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    One carbuyer's Renault is another carbuyer's Nissan.

Or something.
    I think this job really needs
    a much bigger hammer.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills