Car Insurance wont pay out for stolen car.

Options
My insurance company (Direct Line) are refusing to pay out for my car even though it was stolen and Police have given me a crime number etc.

They are saying it is for 2 reasons.

1. The car is a 2003 Hyundai Coupe and it would be impossible to steal the car without a key.

2. Because I amended my policy 2 weeks before it was stolen with a claim that had been made on my previous insurance policy. I was only notified that there was a claim made opn this policy about 6 weeks ago. They are saying it looks suspicious that I would amend my policy about a previous claim, then claim on my new policy.

Can they do this. The car was stolen, I am now without a car and cannot manage without one?

Comments

• Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    Do you know why they say you cannot steal it without a key? Could the thieves put it on a trailer and sort the key problem out later?

But to answer your question, they can refuse to pay out if there is something they think fishy about the claim.
  • MrFrost19821
    Options
    Basically they said the information they have from Hyundai about the car, they say it is impossible to bypass the immobiliser and steal the car.

So basically insurance companies can wriggle out of paying any claim if they think something is "fishy".

Surely they have to prove this?
  • FlameCloud
    FlameCloud Posts: 1,953 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Basically they said the information they have from Hyundai about the car, they say it is impossible to bypass the immobiliser and steal the car.

So basically insurance companies can wriggle out of paying any claim if they think something is "fishy".

Surely they have to prove this?

They do. You can have all the suspicions in the world about a claim however you need to prove it.

Once you have proven that there is a peril (theft) that has occured (police report) it is down to the insurer to prove that the incident hasnt happened as you have said.

Ask to make a formal complaint. Direct Line would need to prove that a key was used. The fact that you disclosed material facts shortly before has no relevence to the claim and they can only use relevent issues to decline claims. Push them all the way to the FOS if they wont budge.
  • MrFrost19821
    Options
    Thanks for that.
    Basically what they are implying is that they knew I was going to claim so informed them of a previous claim that I had not declared beforehand so my insurance would not be invalid.

This is not this case, most definitely not, however thats what they're implying.
  • steveing64
    steveing64 Posts: 109 Forumite
    Options
    Can i ask how do you not know about the claim on the other policy
    3.6Kwh PV System, Lg Panels , Growatt Inverter South Facing, 23 deg Roof Facing, Stoke on Trent
  • FlameCloud
    FlameCloud Posts: 1,953 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Assuming you reported it to the police immediatly, tell them to request the police report on the incident. This would prove when the car was nicked.
  • raskazz
    raskazz Posts: 2,877 Forumite
    Options
    My insurance company (Direct Line) are refusing to pay out for my car even though it was stolen and Police have given me a crime number etc.

They are saying it is for 2 reasons.

1. The car is a 2003 Hyundai Coupe and it would be impossible to steal the car without a key.

2. Because I amended my policy 2 weeks before it was stolen with a claim that had been made on my previous insurance policy. I was only notified that there was a claim made opn this policy about 6 weeks ago. They are saying it looks suspicious that I would amend my policy about a previous claim, then claim on my new policy.

Can they do this. The car was stolen, I am now without a car and cannot manage without one?

The obvious question to ask is have you therefore still got all the keys for the car?

Anyway, it is of course nonsense that the car couldn't have been stolen without a key - as Quention mentioned, many cars have been stolen 'to order' by using a low loader and literally picking them off the street.

On the facts presented, the reason given for repudiation is hogwash and will not stand if you complain to the FOS. However, it's not unusual for insurers to have other reasons for repudiating a claim, but to keep their cards close to their chest.
  • Quentin
    Options
    If this hyundai is so impossible to steal, tpft insurance premiums should be very low compared with another "stealable" car.

Have you lost a key recently, or had a break in and not realised a spare has been taken?

As FlameCloud says, they have to prove you are at fault, so don't let up.

If it goes to the Ombudsman, he won't agree it can never be stolen!
  • MrFrost19821
    Options
    Basically the claim I was unaware of happened last summer with my previous insurer.
    I back into a car in a car park, there was barely any damage and the owner of the other car said he wasnt going to bother claiming.
    Earlier this year, whilst with my new insurer (Direct Line) I recieved a letter from my previous insurer that they had tried to contact me regarding this claim (which i was unaware of) and because I didnt reply they paid out on the claim. I told Direct Line about this a couple of week ago.

I have both sets of keys for the car, and one key fob for the central locking and alarm. Ive only ever had the one key fob between the 2 sets of keys.

Ive spoke to them again today and they insist they wont bidge on settling the claim.
  • Quentin
    Options
    looks like you will have to follow the procedure and take it all the way.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure