New Skype All Inclusive Packages

What's the deal?

Skype, the internet telephony provider has launched some very competitive all inclusive call packages. These allow you to make calls using your computer to someone on a normal phone line. These are especially good for people who make lots of daytime or international calls.

New to Internet Telephony

You can read a full guide to how it works and what software you need in the full Voip: Completely Free Calls Via The Web Guide.

All you need is to sign up for an account, download the software and grab either a headset or a cheap internet phone. Even better is, you don't need to tie yourself into to any hefty contracts. Pay month by month as and when you need it.

The Packages

To see how these compare read the detailed Cheap Home Phone guide (note this will soon be updated with all these tariffs in there)
  • High daytime caller, Unlimited Country, £2.24. Sign up to the Unlimited Country package, opt for the UK and you can get unlimited calls to UK landlines. If you make more than 12 daytime calls per week, this is a good option. This is less than half the price of the cheapest normal phone equivalent.
  • High EU caller, Unlimited Europe, £3.39. Get the Unlimited Europe package for £3.39 and you get inclusive calls to 20 EU countries.
  • High international caller, Unlimited World, £7.99. If you call any of the following countries as well as the 20 EU ones above Unlimited World is the one to opt for. Australia, China, Guam, Republic of Korea, Puerto Rico, Canada, Chile, Hong Kong, Japan, Singapore, Taiwan and the USA. For example make more than 6x30 minute calls per month to an expensive destination like Chile and you're quids in.
Three for the price of two months

Even better until 1 June get three months for the price of two, meaning you're paying an average of £1.49 for Unlimited Country, £2.26 for Unlimited Europe or £5.33 for Unlimited World making it almost unbeatable.

Any other good Voip packages?

Skype has really shaken up the market with these offers. Similar providers such as Tesco internet phone and Vonage are charging around £5 for similar unlimited UK calls packages.

Though if you spot any other good offers, please click reply and post them below.

PS There are a number of threads on the forum discussing this alread, thanks to all the posters who have pointed it out.

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

Comments

• blanik
    blanik Posts: 122 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi, if you have a look at Vonage T&C http://www.vonage.co.uk/uk-fair-use-policy/ from the 14th April 2008 their unlimited packages only includes 2,000 minutes of free calls to UK & international numbers per month. So the Skype deal looks even better with 10,000 minutes cap.
  • Can you use your existing telephone number with Skype to receive in-coming calls ?
  • You'll need an online number (also called SkypeIn number) to receive calls on Skype. You get between one and three numbers included depending on which new subscription you purchase or you can buy it separately - http://www.skype.com/go/onlinenumber . Simply set it up and you can receive calls on Skype wherever you are in the world (and the people calling you are making just a local call if your online number is in the same country as them).
  • Can somebody help

I have been onto skype website.

Where do i find out more about the above

Thanks
  • You can barely talk to people when you have a problem, its all "use the forums online" if you want help and problems with retaining and transferring SkypeIn numbers (so people can call you) are rife and unresolvable. Skype is thoroughly unsuitable for small business no matter what they say. There is no real switchboarding and the call forwarding is so slow people hang up.

If you are IT literate you will survive and prosper with this offering regardless - as long as you don't make the mistake of tying yourself to an incoming number by e.g. giving it out to everyone as your main phone contact.

If you ar less tech savvy or a busienss avoid like the plague.

And yes I am still a happy Skype customer. It does what it does. The mistake is in over large expectations. If you need customer service or number ownership seek elsewhere and pay a bit more.
  • moorhen_2
    moorhen_2 Posts: 201 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    tbird1 wrote: »
    Can you use your existing telephone number with Skype to receive in-coming calls ?
    Yes: we have a cordless "dualphone" (that's the brand) which receives normal incoming calls on our BT numbers, and skype incoming calls (when signed in to skype). Different ring tones for each.

When making a call you can choose whether to make the outgoing call via skype or BT (yes we're still on BT ... for now) which is really great.

I'd recommend the model, but it's probably been superceded by now as we've had it a while. But these types of phone definitely exist!
  • For years I've wanted to dump BT as I really hated the standing charge they levied. My phone useage is low at around £20 per month and most of that was the standing charge. I've used Skype for quite a while as my wife is Chinese and we bought a Hong Kong "Skype In" number as calls within HK are free so all her friends can call the Skype number at no cost to themselves.

Now Skype have brought out their UK package I've added a local number (well fairly local as there are only about 20 STD codes to chose between) and subscribed for 12 months for around £20.

My phone is one of the new Phillips VOIP8411B/05 which don't need the pc to be on and, as my broadband is wireless, I have a phone that works all the time, is free to use and doesn't need BT at all.

It's all come together nicely and hopefully will save me around £250 per year.:j
  • Euphony launched its own VOIP product - euvox - earlier this year. It is on a USB stick so is fully portable and its sound quality is superior compared to Skype. Its top package costs £8.99 per month but this gets you unlimited calls to landlines in 40 countries. It is also much cheaper to call UK mobiles - approx 8p per min compared to Skype's 16p per min. There is a support team available on a landline tel. no. to answer all queries and having dealt with them they are very helpful.
  • Hello,

Does anyone have a contact email for Skype? I have scoured their website to see if Cyprus is included in the European package, does anyone here know?

Thanks

Montyx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family