The Car Shop Megastore - help!

Options

Comments

• Portland_Posse
    Options
    Myself & my partner have also had issues with The Car Shop Megastore in Swindon - Stay clear!

We popped in the other week as we were just passing after going shopping and my partner has had it in her head for a while that she wouldnt mind buying a 2nd hand Audi TT.

It was only just the start of our looking at them and obviously we needed to see few, weigh up our finances etc before making any decisions.

Anyway they didnt have one in our price range so after a brief walk round the showroom we walked out saying if any do come in within the price range give us a call.

A few days later they called saying they had one in their Northampton store but in order for them to bring it down, we would need to put a £450 deposit down. We were taken aback a bit but after discussing that point for a while we agreed that we would only do so on the agreement that it would be refunded if we decided not to proceed. It was just a deposit to bring it down for viewing. They agreed verbally on the phone that would be the case and we confirmed that in writing on an email. This was actually in reply to an email they had sent which is worded like you have actually purchased it! How could we..we hadnt even seen it!

Anyway, we went to look at it. It was actually just above our price range that we stated the previous visit but we decided to test drive it.
    There was a problem with it that was fairly obvious so they said they would get it fixed as that needed to be done irrespective of who bought it.
    We went away saying that we would have another look when it got fixed but reiterated that if we dont proceed at any point before or after the 2nd viewing we would want our deposit back. Not once did we say we wanted to buy it. Two salesmen said that yes of course the deposit would be refunded if we didnt want to proceed further.

We also had it in mind that if all went well then my partner would possibly part exchange her old car. The thing is they way they work is they wont tell you exactly how much they would give you for her car until she had agreed to by the TT! How can you do a deal on that basis, since if you dont agree to the part exchange amount after agreeing to buy the TT you will lose the deposit. The split between the two prices may be more than you can afford. Ridiculous.

Anyway before we could go for the 2nd viewing we called them saying we would not be proceeding since our financial circumstances had changed and we would like our deposit back as agreed.

Simple right? Oh no....

After numerous phone calls they were trying to twist what was agreed and state that we had agreed to buy it and we could not have our deposit back. Unbelivable! That was simply not the case. They said we had to write letters etc and they will review our case. Of course i was going to waste my time writing letters so asked to speak with the Sales Manager. He too was also saying that we agreed to buy it. What a load of bull.

Anyway I finally got my point accross and only today have they agreed to send us a cheque for the £450 which we havent got just yet.

If it doesnt arrive in the post by early next week..I'll have to take this further.

Watch this space...in the meantime buy your cars elsewhere. Their underhand tactics are un-true.

The Cowboy Shop Megastore more like....
  • vaio
    vaio Posts: 12,287 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I really do fail to understand why people pay deposits on cars until they are sure they want to buy it.

I’m also more than a little suspicious of two brand new posters in the same thread slagging the same company off.
  • sarahg1969
    sarahg1969 Posts: 6,694 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    vaio wrote: »
    I’m also more than a little suspicious of two brand new posters in the same thread slagging the same company off.

The first one was over a year and a half ago, however!
  • Portland_Posse
    Options
    why would that be Vaio? suspicious of what?
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,375 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    sarahg1969 wrote: »
    The first one was over a year and a half ago, however!
    And never to be seen again!

I hope the new poster gets their money back and lets us know.

I to wonder why people put these deposits down in the first place though.
  • Portland_Posse
    Options
    Yes will let you all know Photome. Im sure we will get it back...I have ways! It hasnt dragged on long

Yes not normally something I do, putting deposits down like that but trust me they were very clever. Im sure 100's of people have fallen for that. They are basically liars...thats what it amounts to.

Hence my reason for posting.....
  • vaio
    vaio Posts: 12,287 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    why would that be Vaio? suspicious of what?

Suspicious that a competitor of the Car Shop Megastore in Swindon was registering on a consumer web site, using it to slag their competitor off and then disappearing never to be seen again.
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,375 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    Yes will let you all know Photome. Im sure we will get it back...I have ways! It hasnt dragged on long

Yes not normally something I do, putting deposits down like that but trust me they were very clever. Im sure 100's of people have fallen for that. They are basically liars...thats what it amounts to.

Hence my reason for posting.....

Any updates yet?
  • reevsy
    reevsy Posts: 29 Forumite
    Options
    Why on earth are people still buying cars from these 'megastore' type places. If you can not obtain credit through a 'normal' straight foward process, with resonable interest rates, why don't you just run a £1k car untill you are in a position to obtain 'normal credit'. To be honest, its moronic.
  • Portland_Posse
    Options
    All sorted. Cheque for £450 arrived yesterday!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure