Noticed some changes? You can read all about the improvements we've made on the Forum in our latest announcement. We also have a new set of Forum rules so please take the time to give them a read and familiarise yourself.

The Car Shop Megastore - help!

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Motoring
41 replies 23.5K views
mattiesgirlmattiesgirl Forumite
2 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Motoring
I visited the Swindon Car Shop Megastore and saw a Citroen C2 I liked. However, after many pushy sales tactics, I still (foolishly) was interested, as I geuinely liked the car. I had to sign a piece of card, showing I agreed to be interested in the car, if they could obtain finance for me, between the price of £90 - £120pcm. The salesman then asked for my debit card, to show the business manager as a 'sign of goodwill' and I stupidly, gave it to him. They then wanted a £450 deposit BEFORE they would do a credit application. I declined to let them do this and agreed that £200 was the maximum I could pay for a deposit.

They wouldn't, however, do the credit application/search and give me exact figures/APR's unless I gave them this £200. At first I didn't want to do this, but after a few more bamboozling tactics, I gave in, paid the £200, much to my better judgement and they performed the credit application.

Now my credit isn't perfect, unfortunately and I guess they went with a sub-prime lender, who came up with £150 pcm to buy the Citroen, which wasn't acceptable to me. They bought it down to £140pcm, which again, is really out of our budget, so they said they could do £120 pcm, but it would be over 4 yrs instead of 3, which I declined as well.

Basically, they are now saying I cannot have my £200 deposit back, as I have decided not to go any further with them. The Car Shop have acted really unprofessionally, as far as I am concerned - there were many other things that went wrong during the sales pitch - lots of pushiness, bullying and timewasting. Where do you think I stand?:mad:

I feel to make someone pay a deposit BEFORE they know of any APR's/monthly payments etc., is wrong and unfair - how can they then say the deposit is non-refundable? It seems like a very poor practice and is relying on people like myself, with an inadequate credit score, who may want a new(ish) car on credit, to trap one into a corner. Your thoughts would be much appreciated......

Replies

• tiamai_dtiamai_d Forumite
    12K Posts
    Trading Standards and call your bank too as they may have a dispute procedure.

No, they can not keep that deposit as no contract was signed. If you had signed the credit agreement then yes, they could keep the deposit. In this case though, the credit they offered was not acceptable by you and so there was no contract.

What they are trying to do is to charge you £200 for a credit check.

And then I would complain about the Finance Company to the Financial Ombudsman too.
  • pingupingu Forumite
    1.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    i would contact the bank asap hopefully they can stop the payment

also tell them you are taking it further complaint procedure etc...

tell everyone you know about their shabby sales etc...
    Honesty is the best policy doesn't matter which web site
    you are on!

if i had known then what i know now!

a bargain is only a bargain if you really need it!
  • No legal expert but what about contacting FSA, although think contact your bank first as previously advised.

Good luck
    Genie
    Master Technician
  • WigWig Forumite
    14.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did the card you signed mention £120 pcm over 3 years (Not 4 years or more) or was there no mention of the number of years?

Do you have a copy of the card, was there a copy (tear off slip) to be given to you with your signature on?

Can you remember EXACTLY what the card that you signed said?
  • WigWig Forumite
    14.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hope you come back OP, don't be a stranger.

I'm pretty sure we can get this money back for you, it may take a while and involve the small claims court but I'm sure we can do it.

First off I would go to trading standards.

I don't believe there was a contract, but in the event there was a contract formed, the salesman by returning and offering you a **new deal** of £150 has effectively rejected any existing contract between you. Therefore your money from the contract referring to £90 - £120 pounds pcm should be returned to you.
  • I'm back and have had a busy few days writing letters to Car Shop in Swindon, head office in Northampton and Trading Standards. I am awaiting a response. I tried to call the man I last dealt with at the Car Shop, but everytime I left a message, he has not returned them. The worse thing is - they still have my £200, which has left me fuming!!

I will try for a while to reclaim my monies, but I am not usually a fighting person, so this is all alien to me. I certainly wont go into another car supermarket type shop again and will advise all friends/relatives to do the same.:mad:
  • photomephotome Forumite
    15.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Bake Off Boss!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm back and have had a busy few days writing letters to Car Shop in Swindon, head office in Northampton and Trading Standards. I am awaiting a response. I tried to call the man I last dealt with at the Car Shop, but everytime I left a message, he has not returned them. The worse thing is - they still have my £200, which has left me fuming!!

I will try for a while to reclaim my monies, but I am not usually a fighting person, so this is all alien to me. I certainly wont go into another car supermarket type shop again and will advise all friends/relatives to do the same.:mad:

Keep fighting, I hope you get your money back. Have you been in touch with your bank?

Please come back and let us know the hopefully successful outcome
  • cyclonebri1cyclonebri1 Forumite
    12.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    photome wrote: »
    Keep fighting, I hope you get your money back. Have you been in touch with your bank?

Please come back and let us know the hopefully successful outcome

Yes, please let us know the result on this one, I have a relative involved with one of the bigies who's having similar issues at the moment:mad:
    I like the thanks button, but ,please, an I agree button.

Will the grammar and spelling police respect I do make grammatical errors, and have carp spelling, no need to remind me.;)

Always expect the unexpected:eek:and then you won't be dissapointed
  • WigWig Forumite
    14.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The latest, that I found out is that at the very most you made "an offer" with a deposit.

Subsequently the salesman returned with a counter offer of £150, thus he rejected your offer of £120.

Eventually he lowered his counter offers untill he appeared to meet your 1st offer (appeared to because we don't know what was discussed about 3 years and 4 years) He cannot legally require you to stick to your first offer because by making counter offers he rejected your offer.

Threaten them with court action, they will pay up, before it goes to court.
  • photomephotome Forumite
    15.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Bake Off Boss!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Whats the latest
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides

New plastic £50 note in circulation

Inventor and codebreaker Alan Turing is pictured

MSE News

TV MoneySaving tricks

How to save on Sky, Netflix, Now TV, Prime Video and more

MSE Guides

Pret subscription loophole

Get a month's worth of free smoothies, frappes, coffee etc