If you are a Pipex Customer

Options
You are currently being migrated to the Tiscali pipe or, even worse to Tiscali LLU if it is available on your telephone exchange, WITHOUT YOUR KNOWLEDGE!

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/01/28/tiscali_pipex_migrations/

Time for you to get your MAC.

Comments

• DatabaseError
    Options
    check my sig for options, the ship is sinking....man the lifeboats...
    Utinam logica falsa tuam philosophiam totam suffodiant.
  • piggeh
    piggeh Posts: 1,723 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm guessing same applies to Nildram customers given they're part of Pipex??
    matched betting: £879.63
  • aerostar
    aerostar Posts: 1,736 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Yesterday one of my customers had his Pipex broadband moved to LLU (Leighton Buzzard exchange), no notice was given that he would be off the air, on calling them they gave out the "work is being carried out on your line" He is now back on, but his upstream speed is 288 and I am sure it used to be 448. (Pipex state upto 448) and it is not attenuation or noise problem, they are well within limits.

So he will be jumping ship soon.
  • muymalestado
    Options
    Many years with PIPEX; happy with the service. Lately download speed has remained high but upstream has halved. Watching closely what happens. Have eyed-up PlusNet as next port of call.
  • redux
    redux Posts: 22,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Saturday it was virtually impossible to connect. Sunday the connection dropped ouit every few minutes, and the connection speed shown in the balloon out of the icon showed lower speeds.

For the past month that had been showing 7.3M, from 2.2M before, although it was still giving typically 1850k in speed tests, so I thought I was being given a free Max upgrade that just needed a bit of fine tuning

Last night I phoned up and they said new equipment had been installed to iimprove contention ratios and connection reliability, and that the maintenance period a month ago was now over. They also gave me a website address to test my speed

In the last 24 hours, speed has been between 554 and 1662 k, but almost all at the lower end of the scale; 5 of the 9 are below 700.

It's a far cry from when this was first installed. I applied on a Friday morning, line tests were done on Sunday and they told me I'd be connected on the Tuesday 9 days later. In fact it was connected on Thursday, only 4 working days after the original order.

Perhaps there is a temporary technical fault here, but reading that article and remarks elsewhere I'm sceptical of having that much hope. Even the staff in the taken-over ISPs are saying the firm is so cynical it's business plan involves cost-saving on the assumed risk that customers will leave.

And their phone line is too busy to even get into the call queue ...

edit: checking my IP address shows Tiscali, which means they have indeed transferred me without my knowledge, and directly lied to me on Monday evening about what the new equipment was for
  • webguy_2
    Options
    but didnt you hear the recorded message! we are being migrated to "more resiliant" dns servers! so I asked them....more resiliant to what?

funnily enough they couldn't answer, is it a coincidence that the new dns servers that they want us to use are now tiscalis!
    *CHANGE REQUIRED* DNS server update
    Ticket Raised: 15/01/2008 11:54:02
    Last Update: 15/01/2008 11:54:39

Posted: 15/01/2008 11:54:02 by Briony Barham
    PLEASE UPDATE YOUR SETTINGS AS SOON AS POSSIBLE.

In order to improve customer service and provide resilience we are upgrading to 4 new DNS caching servers.

Any customer who currently has the Nildram DNS servers specified in their router or PC settings will need to update their settings to show the new server IPs.
    Currently we have 213.208.106.212 & 213.208.106.213 as our dns servers, they are

Whois Record

inetnum: 213.208.106.192 - 213.208.106.255
    netname: NILDRAM-TH-NET-213-208-106-192
    descr: Infrastructure - TH - LNS
    admin-c: HMPI-RIPE
    tech-c: HMPI-RIPE
    remarks: INFRA-AW
    mnt-by: AS25346-MNT
    what a surprise when you whois the new dns
    inetnum: 212.139.132.0 - 212.139.132.15
    netname: UK-AS9105
    descr: Tiscali UK Ltd, Telehouse DNS Network
    descr: ==========================================================
    descr: Concerning abuse and spam ... mailto: email.pgif?md5=2dabb9f0a6eac0afd26053a3cf4793a7&face=Atomic_Clock_Radio&size=7&color=000000&bgcolor=FFFFFF&format%5B%5D=transparent&face=Trebuchet&size=9&color=0000FF&bgcolor=FFFFFF&format%5B%5D=underline&format%5B%5D=transparent
    descr: e-mail to other addresses will not be dealt with.
    descr: ==========================================================
    admin-c: TU935-RIPE
    tech-c: TU935-RIPE
    mnt-by: TU935-RIPE-MNT
    mnt-lower: TU935-RIPE-MNT
    mnt-routes: TU935-RIPE-MNT
    remarks: INFRA-AW
    When I signed up with nildram it was with complete awareness that Tiscali had issues, I made a deliberate decision not to use tiscalis service, now we are being forced on to tiscali, well nildram/pipex you've just lost another customer, oh and as a pipex phone customer too, well you know what you can do with your pipex phone don't you :)

See even pipex/nildram/tiscali have a hlc .....(hastily leaving customer)
  • tightasagnatschuff
    Options
    I'd have more luck re-routing the M6 motorway through my house than getting any evening NNTP traffic at the moment... feel a call to Pipex requesting a big MAC coming :mad:
  • Merlot
    Merlot Posts: 1,890 Forumite
    Options
    redux wrote: »
    Saturday it was virtually impossible to connect. Sunday the connection dropped ouit every few minutes, and the connection speed shown in the balloon out of the icon showed lower speeds.

For the past month that had been showing 7.3M, from 2.2M before, although it was still giving typically 1850k in speed tests, so I thought I was being given a free Max upgrade that just needed a bit of fine tuning

Last night I phoned up and they said new equipment had been installed to iimprove contention ratios and connection reliability, and that the maintenance period a month ago was now over. They also gave me a website address to test my speed

In the last 24 hours, speed has been between 554 and 1662 k, but almost all at the lower end of the scale; 5 of the 9 are below 700.

It's a far cry from when this was first installed. I applied on a Friday morning, line tests were done on Sunday and they told me I'd be connected on the Tuesday 9 days later. In fact it was connected on Thursday, only 4 working days after the original order.

Perhaps there is a temporary technical fault here, but reading that article and remarks elsewhere I'm sceptical of having that much hope. Even the staff in the taken-over ISPs are saying the firm is so cynical it's business plan involves cost-saving on the assumed risk that customers will leave.

And their phone line is too busy to even get into the call queue ...

edit: checking my IP address shows Tiscali, which means they have indeed transferred me without my knowledge, and directly lied to me on Monday evening about what the new equipment was for

The connection was dropping at the weekend for me too, I blamed the OH as he installed a wireless router the other week and I thought he had balls it up. I owe my OH an apology.

Merlot.x.
    "Wisdom doesn't automatically come with old age. Nothing does, except wrinkles. It's true, some wines improve with age. But only if the grapes were good in the first place." — Abigail Van Buren
  • kendalls_cave
    Options
    I have just had a long chat with pipex about this , and it is true :( He was surprised it had been leaked (his words)
    He did say that they don't legally have to tell people when migration happens cos it is just seen as maintenance :( They only have to notify all customers when pipex is going to be no more.
    I have been with Tiscali at least a month he said - I dunno what to do now, herd bad things about Tiscali, but as a disabled person I can't be without the computer, and he said with a mac code it could be a week of downtime :( And to be fair I haven't noticed that much difference in my connection since been migrated :confused:
    :j £2 coins = £2.00 :j
  • si1965
    si1965 Posts: 121 Forumite
    Options
    he said with a mac code it could be a week of downtime :(

I migrated away from that shower and only lost internet for a matter of a minute while I put my new details in the router.
    Hark at you going all strict :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport