Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    twirlypinky
    Anyone know where I can sell my wedding dress?
    • 11th Jan 08, 10:12 AM
    Anyone know where I can sell my wedding dress? 11th Jan 08 at 10:12 AM
    Hello there.

I'm normally only on the debt free wannabe section, but I thought I'd pop in here to ask this as you're all far more likely to know.

I'm trying to sell my wedding dress and shoes (maggie sottero - julie size 10-12) and I don't know where to start really. I don't want to put it on ebay because they've blocked the site at work and it's my only internet access.

Do you know of any shops online or otherwise that buy used wedding dresses?

Thanks

Twirly pinky xx
    saving up another deposit as we've lost all our equity.
    We're 29% of the way there...
Page 1
    • MrsTinks
    • By MrsTinks 11th Jan 08, 9:01 PM
    • 14,994 Posts
    • 23,044 Thanks
    MrsTinks
    • 11th Jan 08, 9:01 PM
    • 11th Jan 08, 9:01 PM
    There is a sale section on confetti I believe
    Good luck!
    DFW Nerd #025
    DFW no more! Officially debt free 2017 - now joining the MFW's!

My DFW Diary - blah- mildly funny stuff about my journey
    • mogwai
    • By mogwai 16th Jan 08, 1:05 PM
    • 1,235 Posts
    • 2,870 Thanks
    mogwai
    • 16th Jan 08, 1:05 PM
    • 16th Jan 08, 1:05 PM
    Also there is a sale forum on hitched.com!
    http://www.hitched.co.uk/sbforum/forum.asp?forum_id=5
    We got rid of the kids. The cat was allergic.

Debt at LBM (Sep 07): 13,500. Current debt: 680 480 560 13 0 overdraft
    Current aims - to start building up savings
    1st 1000 in 100 days - 1178.03 2nd 1053.38/1000 3rd 863.59/1000
  • Sallys Savings
    • 16th Jan 08, 1:09 PM
    • 16th Jan 08, 1:09 PM
    Have you tried locally?
  • chathe
    • 30th Jan 08, 1:49 PM
    • 30th Jan 08, 1:49 PM
    I've been looking at dresses on http://www.thedressmarket.net/. Not sure how well known it is though...
  • meester
    • 15th Sep 08, 11:30 AM
    • 15th Sep 08, 11:30 AM
    I listed my dress with took a few weeks to sell but got the price i was after. There are a few sites like this out there.
    Originally posted by emmachal
    SPAM SPAM

SPAM SPAM

SPAM SPAM

SPAM SPAM

SPAM SPAM

SPAM SPAM

SPAM SPAM

SPAM SPAM

SPAM SPAM

SPAM SPAM

SPAM SPAM

SPAM SPAM

SPAM SPAM

SPAM SPAM

SPAM SPAM

SPAM SPAM

SPAM SPAM

SPAM SPAM

SPAM SPAM

SPAM SPAM

SPAM SPAM

SPAM SPAM

SPAM SPAM
  • Pixypants217
    • 12th Dec 08, 6:25 PM
    • 12th Dec 08, 6:25 PM
    I've found a really good site where you can sell your wedding dress for free! its www.yourweddingshop.co.uk. Unlike many of the other sites that charge 10 upwards to list your item, not to mention the huge fees ebay charge!
    • Sparkle80
    • By Sparkle80 14th Dec 08, 8:50 PM
    • 1,108 Posts
    • 3,129 Thanks
    Sparkle80
    • 14th Dec 08, 8:50 PM
    • 14th Dec 08, 8:50 PM
    How about Preloved.co.uk? I think that's quite a popular one.
  • helping_hubby
    • 16th Dec 08, 3:17 PM
    • 16th Dec 08, 3:17 PM
    If you have any luck selling your dress, please post back. I've tried several, confetti, hitched, preloved (got the most responses from here), and I forget the other. Refused to risk selling it on eBay as I'd rather keep it that sell for 50. Looks like I'm keeping it.

• Alleycat
    • By Alleycat 16th Dec 08, 8:59 PM
    • 4,477 Posts
    • 3,695 Thanks
    Alleycat
    To be honest from looking at the sale ads on hitched and confetti, the dresses are still really expensive. Many over 500 which is still too pricey for a lot of brides. This could be what is putting people off buying them.

I know that the dresses probably cost in excess of a grand, but they are still second hand and with travel costs to go and see just one dress its a lot of money. Plus the pictures are often quite small with minimal details.
    "I've fallen down a hole" - said in best Monty Python voice-over.
    • Horace
    • By Horace 18th Dec 08, 8:38 PM
    • 14,111 Posts
    • 24,783 Thanks
    Horace
    I am not sure if this site will buy your dress, however, they do sell second-hand wedding dresses. I actually found their ad in the January 09 edition of Easy Living magazine:

www.lovemissdaisy.com
    Semper in faeces profundum variat

Make 5 a day challenge Oct 2014 126.00/155
    Make 5 a day challenge Nov 2014 157.40/150
    Make 10 a day challenge Dec 2014 392.90/310
  • planethurf
    I have been looking for somewhere to sell my wife's wedding dresses (yes - dresses plural! - She couldn't decide so we have 3 to sell! - ...for richer and for poorer :O) ) I found this site for UK sellers and they allow you to sell your wedding dress for free - it looks like its a new site - but it's on the front page of google UK so I imagine it will get some traffic?

The site is: www.SellWeddingDress.co.uk

Other UK sites seem to charge 15 a piece on average (so that's 45 quid for us!) So when I can get a decent picture of the dresses I will give this site a go (as well as any other free ones anyone can recommend!) My thinking is list it as many places as possible (for free!) and therefore increase the changes of getting a sale!

UPDATE: Sold one of the dresses for free (it took about 4 weeks to sell) just in time for Christmas :O)

Good Luck!
    Last edited by planethurf; 21-12-2009 at 10:57 PM. Reason: updated status
  • HCOOK
    SwapMyDress.co.uk has sections for selling wedding dresses and bridesmaid dresses and all adverts are Free.

They have a sister site SwapMyDesigner.co.uk where you can sell specific designer wedding dresses also for Free to list.
    • annalambo
    • By annalambo 17th Dec 11, 10:29 AM
    • 10 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    annalambo
    There's a page on rockmywedding (.co.uk I think), ebay could be worth it, or gumtree?
  • White_Sapphire
    HCOOK reported as a spambot; has dredged up a thread last posted on in 2009!
    Marrying my lovely man on 1st September 2012

The right to express an opinion does not override the responsibility to show respect.
  • HCOOK
    How rude, I'm not a bot.

I searched for selling wedding dresses and this page comes up near the top so i simply replied to it as did the next person.
  • White_Sapphire
    How rude, I'm not a bot.

I searched for selling wedding dresses and this page comes up near the top so i simply replied to it as did the next person.
    Originally posted by HCOOK
    But why were you searching for selling wedding dresses? Given that your other post on another thread also mentions the same site, it would suggest that you are on here purely to advertise your website. Apologies if that happens not to be the case, but most people on here are very suspicious of someone whose few threads are solely about a single company or website.

If you would like to describe further your personal experience with the website you mention, and talk about your experience of planning your own or a close friend or relative's wedding then you are more than welcome here. But, the pattern of your posting suggests otherwise, and regular posters on here know the signs all too well!
    Last edited by White_Sapphire; 09-02-2012 at 2:06 PM. Reason: spelling...
    Marrying my lovely man on 1st September 2012

The right to express an opinion does not override the responsibility to show respect.
  • HCOOK
    OK, I am married and I originally googled about selling my Ronald Joyce Chanel wedding dress which came up with the designer website i originally listed. I contacted them about specifically selling my wedding dress and they pointed me to their other site swapmydress which has a wedding dress section so yes i have two posts which are related by my looking to sell a designer chanel wedding dress.

I listed for 30 days, had some interest but it didnt sell but as it was free I didnt mind and I can list again.
  • mssugarcane
    Sell Your Dress Barnet Wedding Show
    There is a wedding fair in Barnet, North London on the 16th February where there is a Second Hand Market Stall where all second hand wedding items can be sold. Their email is londoneventsuk@gmail.com
    • CarolynRach
    • By CarolynRach 18th Jan 13, 1:43 PM
    • 149 Posts
    • 220 Thanks
    CarolynRach
    Hello,
    There is a lovely second hand dress boutique in Edinburgh - http://www.blissstudio.co.uk/
    Not sure if you'd have to go up there or whether you could post it. Maybe worth looking into?
    CR xx
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,347Posts Today

9,128Users online

Martin's Twitter