Faulty Kettle

Options
I purchased a kettle just under a year ago, 21 Jan 2019 to be exact.

It is now faulty, the lid keeps popping up when it boils.

It says 3 year guarantee on the box.

I cannot find the receipt but I have the credit card statement for when it was purchased.

I went to the store today but they will do nothing as I don't have the receipt and it is more than 28 days for returning faulty goods so even if I had the receipt they would do nothing.

I did contact the manufacturer but have heard nothing back so far.

Anything else I can do?

Comments

• BoGoF
    BoGoF Posts: 7,099 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    How much was the kettle?
  • societys_child
    societys_child Posts: 7,110 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 14 January 2020 at 8:20PM
    Options
    Do the T&Cs of the warrantee stipulate how often it must be descaled*, and has it been?

*usually around every 3 or 4 months I think.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Do the T&Cs of the warranty stipulate how often it must be descaled*, and has it been?
    It will be perfectly obvious from the amount of scale whether this was an issue, but the OP is complaining of a faulty lid. The lid failing is unlikely to be related to scaling.
  • societys_child
    Options
    I was thinking the lock mechanism might not be engaging correctly due to build up of limescale. Who knows . . .
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 15 January 2020 at 1:42PM
    Options
    Do the warranty T&Cs require a receipt or merely "proof of purchase"? If the latter then you should be OK - if the former then you may not be able to use the warranty.

You still have consumer rights though - you only need proof of purchase for this. But as it's more than 6 months the seller can legitimately require you to prove that the fault was inherent and not caused by your use of the kettle. (That doesn't mean they will, but they can. As you've already approached the seller and they've said "get stuffed" you'll need to decide how "legal" you want to go ... how much was the kettle?)
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    Options
    Limescale Basics
    Z

Limescale is a hard chalky deposit, consisting mainly of calcium carbonate (CaCO3), that often builds up inside kettles, hot water boilers, and pipework, especially that for hot water. It is also often found as a similar deposit on the inner surfaces of old pipes and other surfaces where "hard water" has evaporated.
  • bigisi
    bigisi Posts: 925 Forumite
    edited 15 January 2020 at 4:23PM
    Options
    Helen28 wrote: »
    What is limescale?

Out of all the helpful answers and questions you've been asked that's all you can come back with?

How about answering some of the questions you've been asked in order to help you?

Try this: https://lmgtfy.com/?q=limescale
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,646 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'll ask the same question which has already been asked twice. Your answer will determine whether or not this is worth pursuing.

How much was the kettle?
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • Helen28
    Helen28 Posts: 119 Forumite
    Options
    That post asking what is limescale should not have been posted.
    I would delete it but some helpful person has quoted it for posterity.

Actually I will delete it.

What has limescale got to do with a company refusing to do anything about a faulty kettle?

I asked what can be done because I lost my receipt but had proof of purchase because the purchase appears on my credit card statement.

It cost £30
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options

What has limescale got to do with a company refusing to do anything about a faulty kettle?
    The point is that, if the "fault" is deemed to have been caused by a build up of limescale, you will be at fault for not de-scaling it regularly and, regardless of receipt, you won't get a replacement or refund.
    It cost £30
    If you think it's worth fighting for that amount, then pursue. If not, perhaps buy an even cheaper kettle from your local supermarket and accept that such items don't have a long lifespan.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure