Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Helen28
    • By Helen28 14th Jan 20, 1:07 PM
    • 54Posts
    • 4Thanks
    Helen28
    Faulty Kettle
    • 14th Jan 20, 1:07 PM
    Faulty Kettle 14th Jan 20 at 1:07 PM
    I purchased a kettle just under a year ago, 21 Jan 2019 to be exact.

It is now faulty, the lid keeps popping up when it boils.

It says 3 year guarantee on the box.

I cannot find the receipt but I have the credit card statement for when it was purchased.

I went to the store today but they will do nothing as I don't have the receipt and it is more than 28 days for returning faulty goods so even if I had the receipt they would do nothing.

I did contact the manufacturer but have heard nothing back so far.

Anything else I can do?
Page 1
    • BoGoF
    • By BoGoF 14th Jan 20, 1:12 PM
    • 5,912 Posts
    • 5,989 Thanks
    BoGoF
    • 14th Jan 20, 1:12 PM
    • 14th Jan 20, 1:12 PM
    How much was the kettle?
    • societys child
    • By societys child 14th Jan 20, 7:17 PM
    • 6,530 Posts
    • 7,813 Thanks
    societys child
    • 14th Jan 20, 7:17 PM
    • 14th Jan 20, 7:17 PM
    Do the T&Cs of the warrantee stipulate how often it must be descaled*, and has it been?

*usually around every 3 or 4 months I think.
    Last edited by societys child; 14-01-2020 at 7:20 PM.

• Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 14th Jan 20, 7:25 PM
    • 25,360 Posts
    • 14,806 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    • 14th Jan 20, 7:25 PM
    • 14th Jan 20, 7:25 PM
    Do the T&Cs of the warranty stipulate how often it must be descaled*, and has it been?
    Originally posted by societys child
    It will be perfectly obvious from the amount of scale whether this was an issue, but the OP is complaining of a faulty lid. The lid failing is unlikely to be related to scaling.
    • societys child
    • By societys child 15th Jan 20, 12:06 PM
    • 6,530 Posts
    • 7,813 Thanks
    societys child
    • 15th Jan 20, 12:06 PM
    • 15th Jan 20, 12:06 PM
    I was thinking the lock mechanism might not be engaging correctly due to build up of limescale. Who knows . . .

• DoaM
    • By DoaM 15th Jan 20, 12:39 PM
    • 8,723 Posts
    • 8,613 Thanks
    DoaM
    • 15th Jan 20, 12:39 PM
    • 15th Jan 20, 12:39 PM
    Do the warranty T&Cs require a receipt or merely "proof of purchase"? If the latter then you should be OK - if the former then you may not be able to use the warranty.

You still have consumer rights though - you only need proof of purchase for this. But as it's more than 6 months the seller can legitimately require you to prove that the fault was inherent and not caused by your use of the kettle. (That doesn't mean they will, but they can. As you've already approached the seller and they've said "get stuffed" you'll need to decide how "legal" you want to go ... how much was the kettle?)
    Last edited by DoaM; 15-01-2020 at 12:42 PM.
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 15th Jan 20, 3:17 PM
    • 13,656 Posts
    • 6,288 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    • 15th Jan 20, 3:17 PM
    Limescale Basics

Limescale is a hard chalky deposit, consisting mainly of calcium carbonate (CaCO3), that often builds up inside kettles, hot water boilers, and pipework, especially that for hot water. It is also often found as a similar deposit on the inner surfaces of old pipes and other surfaces where "hard water" has evaporated.
    • bigisi
    • By bigisi 15th Jan 20, 3:17 PM
    • 878 Posts
    • 1,652 Thanks
    bigisi
    What is limescale?
    Originally posted by Helen28
    Out of all the helpful answers and questions you've been asked that's all you can come back with?

How about answering some of the questions you've been asked in order to help you?

Try this: https://lmgtfy.com/?q=limescale
    Last edited by bigisi; 15-01-2020 at 3:23 PM.
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 15th Jan 20, 3:33 PM
    • 12,500 Posts
    • 11,145 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    • 15th Jan 20, 3:33 PM
    • 15th Jan 20, 3:33 PM
    I'll ask the same question which has already been asked twice. Your answer will determine whether or not this is worth pursuing.

How much was the kettle?
    • Helen28
    • By Helen28 15th Jan 20, 3:37 PM
    • 54 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Helen28
    That post asking what is limescale should not have been posted.
    I would delete it but some helpful person has quoted it for posterity.

Actually I will delete it.

What has limescale got to do with a company refusing to do anything about a faulty kettle?

I asked what can be done because I lost my receipt but had proof of purchase because the purchase appears on my credit card statement.

It cost 30
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 15th Jan 20, 4:02 PM
    • 25,360 Posts
    • 14,806 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude

What has limescale got to do with a company refusing to do anything about a faulty kettle?
    The point is that, if the "fault" is deemed to have been caused by a build up of limescale, you will be at fault for not de-scaling it regularly and, regardless of receipt, you won't get a replacement or refund.
    It cost 30
    If you think it's worth fighting for that amount, then pursue. If not, perhaps buy an even cheaper kettle from your local supermarket and accept that such items don't have a long lifespan.
    • Helen28
    • By Helen28 15th Jan 20, 4:06 PM
    • 54 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Helen28
    The fault is not caused by limescale as limescale does not exist where I stay
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 15th Jan 20, 4:08 PM
    • 12,500 Posts
    • 11,145 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    Limescale is prevalent in hard water areas, kettles will quickly accumulate limescale, which will make the kettle less efficient and eventually could cause it to stop working.

At 30 brand new, the secondhand value, even at only one year old, will make it not worthwhile pursuing with the store if they are insistent on a receipt being produced. Your best bet will be the manufacturer's guarantee.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 15th Jan 20, 4:41 PM
    • 25,360 Posts
    • 14,806 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    limescale does not exist where I stay
    Limescale exists wherever there is water. While hard water areas are more prone to cause a build up of limescale, no area is immune I'm afraid.
    At 30 brand new, the secondhand value, even at only one year old, will make it not worthwhile pursuing with the store if they are insistent on a receipt being produced. Your best bet will be the manufacturer's guarantee.
    Originally posted by lincroft1710
    The manufacturer will want to see proof of purchase also?
    • photome
    • By photome 15th Jan 20, 4:44 PM
    • 14,413 Posts
    • 9,911 Thanks
    photome
    I live in a hard water area and limescale is a problem but in soft water areas the minerals that cause limescale are not present so I dis agree that limescale is a problem everywhere

Wether it’s worth fighting over 30 only the OP knows
    • st999
    • By st999 15th Jan 20, 4:45 PM
    • 1,300 Posts
    • 701 Thanks
    st999
    Limescale exists wherever there is water. While hard water areas are more prone to cause a build up of limescale, no area is immune I'm afraid
    Says who?

Does it exist in water with a ph below 7?

I have lived in Scotland all of my life and travelled to various countries and the only place I have ever seen limescale was in the south of England.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 15th Jan 20, 5:04 PM
    • 25,360 Posts
    • 14,806 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    I live in a hard water area and limescale is a problem but in soft water areas the minerals that cause limescale are not present so I dis agree that limescale is a problem everywhere
    Originally posted by photome
    I live in a soft water area and I've seen limescale on our kettle with my own eyes. We also have to regularly de-scale to prevent the build up. While not as quick to form as in hard water areas, it certainly still exists.

Regardless, if the OP's "fault" is not caused by a build up of limescale, the manufacturer might well replace it if an acceptable proof of purchase is presented. Personally, I doubt it's worth pursuing for 30 and (as I suggested earlier) it might be wiser to buy an even cheaper supermarket kettle and be done with it.
    • cajef
    • By cajef 15th Jan 20, 7:27 PM
    • 5,140 Posts
    • 4,202 Thanks
    cajef
    I live in the far south west which is a soft water area and in the thirty years I have lived here I have never had any limescale in kettles or any other appliances.
    I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.
    • Manxman in exile
    • By Manxman in exile 15th Jan 20, 10:32 PM
    • 3,413 Posts
    • 3,474 Thanks
    Manxman in exile
    Having grown up in the Isle of Man (where the water is very soft) I can confirm that I had neither heard of nor seen limescale until I went to university in the UK. Nobody descales a kettle in the Isle of Man.

Having said that, I now live in an area of the UK where the water is relatively hard and regularly have to descale the kettle. Because I'm a slob I wait until I have difficulty closing the lid (or the lid pops open during boiling) before descaling.
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 15th Jan 20, 10:39 PM
    • 14,414 Posts
    • 16,853 Thanks
    davidmcn
    I live in the far south west which is a soft water area and in the thirty years I have lived here I have never had any limescale in kettles or any other appliances.
    Originally posted by cajef
    Ditto here (in the central belt of Scotland for my entire life). But I'm willing to believe that some "soft" water areas may be harder than others...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,899Posts Today

5,393Users online

Martin's Twitter