New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Faulty Kettle

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Consumer Rights
20 replies 809 views
Helen28Helen28 Forumite
113 posts
Second Anniversary 10 Posts Name Dropper
edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Consumer Rights
I purchased a kettle just under a year ago, 21 Jan 2019 to be exact.

It is now faulty, the lid keeps popping up when it boils.

It says 3 year guarantee on the box.

I cannot find the receipt but I have the credit card statement for when it was purchased.

I went to the store today but they will do nothing as I don't have the receipt and it is more than 28 days for returning faulty goods so even if I had the receipt they would do nothing.

I did contact the manufacturer but have heard nothing back so far.

Anything else I can do?

Replies

• BoGoFBoGoF Forumite
    6.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    How much was the kettle?
  • edited 14 January at 7:20PM
    societys_childsocietys_child Forumite
    7.1K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 14 January at 7:20PM
    Do the T&Cs of the warrantee stipulate how often it must be descaled*, and has it been?

*usually around every 3 or 4 months I think.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]
    0 posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Do the T&Cs of the warranty stipulate how often it must be descaled*, and has it been?
    It will be perfectly obvious from the amount of scale whether this was an issue, but the OP is complaining of a faulty lid. The lid failing is unlikely to be related to scaling.
  • societys_childsocietys_child Forumite
    7.1K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    I was thinking the lock mechanism might not be engaging correctly due to build up of limescale. Who knows . . .
  • edited 15 January at 12:42PM
    DoaMDoaM Forumite
    11.9K posts
    10,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 15 January at 12:42PM
    Do the warranty T&Cs require a receipt or merely "proof of purchase"? If the latter then you should be OK - if the former then you may not be able to use the warranty.

You still have consumer rights though - you only need proof of purchase for this. But as it's more than 6 months the seller can legitimately require you to prove that the fault was inherent and not caused by your use of the kettle. (That doesn't mean they will, but they can. As you've already approached the seller and they've said "get stuffed" you'll need to decide how "legal" you want to go ... how much was the kettle?)
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • JJ_EganJJ_Egan Forumite
    17.1K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Limescale Basics
    Z

Limescale is a hard chalky deposit, consisting mainly of calcium carbonate (CaCO3), that often builds up inside kettles, hot water boilers, and pipework, especially that for hot water. It is also often found as a similar deposit on the inner surfaces of old pipes and other surfaces where "hard water" has evaporated.
  • edited 15 January at 3:23PM
    bigisibigisi
    925 posts
    ✭✭✭
    edited 15 January at 3:23PM
    Helen28 wrote: »
    What is limescale?

Out of all the helpful answers and questions you've been asked that's all you can come back with?

How about answering some of the questions you've been asked in order to help you?

Try this: https://lmgtfy.com/?q=limescale
  • lincroft1710lincroft1710 Forumite
    14.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll ask the same question which has already been asked twice. Your answer will determine whether or not this is worth pursuing.

How much was the kettle?
  • Helen28Helen28 Forumite
    113 posts
    Second Anniversary 10 Posts Name Dropper
    That post asking what is limescale should not have been posted.
    I would delete it but some helpful person has quoted it for posterity.

Actually I will delete it.

What has limescale got to do with a company refusing to do anything about a faulty kettle?

I asked what can be done because I lost my receipt but had proof of purchase because the purchase appears on my credit card statement.

It cost £30
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]
    0 posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    MoneySaving Newbie

What has limescale got to do with a company refusing to do anything about a faulty kettle?
    The point is that, if the "fault" is deemed to have been caused by a build up of limescale, you will be at fault for not de-scaling it regularly and, regardless of receipt, you won't get a replacement or refund.
    It cost £30
    If you think it's worth fighting for that amount, then pursue. If not, perhaps buy an even cheaper kettle from your local supermarket and accept that such items don't have a long lifespan.