2020 Fashion on the Ration Challenge

PipneyJane
PipneyJane Posts: 3,985
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
Forumite
edited 28 June 2020 at 6:12PM in Old style MoneySaving
Welcome to the 2020 Fashion on the Ration Challenge. The 2019 Challenge was very successful and can be found here. This is the third year of the Challenge, which is based on the original 1941 Clothing Rations. Each member of the Challenge gets 66 coupons to spend during the year.

2013+01+07+rationing-values-times.png

To break it down into Women's clothing only:-

Lined mackintosh or coat over 28" - 14 coupons
Under 28" short coat or jacket - 11 coupons
Frock, gown or dress of wool - 11 coupons
Frock, gown or dress of other fabric - 7 coupons
Bodice with girls skirt or gym tunic - 8 coupons
Pyjamas - 8 coupons
Divided skirt or skirt – 7 coupons
Nightdress - 6 coupons
Dungarees or overalls - 6 coupons
Blouse, shirt, sports top, cardigan or jumper -5 coupons
Pair of slippers, boots or shoes – 5 coupons
Other garments including corsets - 3 coupons
Petticoat or slip, cami-knickers or combinations - 4 coupons
Apron or pinafore - 3 coupons
Scarf, gloves, mittens or muff - 2 coupons
Stockings per pair - 2 coupons
Ankle socks per pair – 1 coupon
1 yard wool cloth 36"wide – 3 coupons
2 ounces of wool knitting yarn – 1 coupon

Assumptions for the challenge:-
  • 1 yard of fabric equals 1 modern metre. No penalty for width.
  • 2 ounces of wool knitting yarn equals 50g of any knitting yarn containing natural fibres. Note: according to a display I once saw at the Imperial War Museum, there was a different coupon cost for man-made fibre, but I've never found out what so let's assume acrylic is half the coupon cost of wool.
  • Based on the quantity of fabric and work involved, a "corset" is the equivalent of two bras.
  • Ditto one pair of Cami-knickers would equal two pairs of modern bikini-style knickers or thongs.
  • Bodice with skirt = shirt/blouse/t-shirt purchased at the same time as a matching or co-ordinating skirt or trousers = 8 coupons in total.
  • Dungarees = jeans = 6 coupons.
  • Ditto trousers.
  • Leggings count as 2 coupons, the same as thermal tights.
  • Second-hand clothing is exempt.
  • Leather handbags aren't mentioned anywhere in the clothing coupon data. The assumption is that they weren't made once the war was in full swing. Ditto leather wallets and purses. I assume a leather handbag involves the same effort and leather as a pair of shoes at 5 coupons. A new wallet/purse can be 2 coupons.
    [*[STRIKE]]Hats aren’t mentioned either, so if you purchase one, let’s assume it is for 2 coupons[/STRIKE].
  • Stockings/tights. At 2 coupons a pair, stockings are really expensive in coupon-terms. Because of your connection to the armed forces, you have been given 6 special vouchers for those 4-pair value packs, which will not require coupons to redeem.

- Pip

ETA: Due to COVID-19, facemasks made of fabric are Coupon Free
"Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 66 coupons,

Comments

• Hi

I’m in for 2020 if you’ll have me. Hoping to lose weight so expecting to use some rations as a result, but intending to get as much as I can from charity shops.

Looking forward to the challenge!!

B x
  • Hullo!

Oooh, doesn't the old Village Hall look nice, all decked out for New Year like this? ;)

I am carrying over 8.5 coupons from last year, which feels deliciously wicked somehow! I am wondering how I will do this year.... 2018 I ran out altogether by about early November and shamefully turned to the black market, continuing to buy mew clothes even without coupons - and then 2019 I got the hang of it a bit more and stopped buying the rubbish cheap stuff! I only bought one pair of shoes in 2019, but they were proper, stitched, leather shoes which can be both re-soled and re-heeled, and which should last for years and years, £55 instead of the cheap fake-leather ones from fast fashion chains which look similar when new, cost £12 a pair and start looking scruffy within six months (so I used to buy two pairs at a time, sigh). So for what I spent on cheap shoes in a couple of years I've got some that should last five or ten years!
    Similarly, instead of buying a new jacket, I bought some vintage fabric and re-lined my Dad's old Harris tweed jacket, which must be 30 years old but shows no sign of wearing out any time soon!

So I'm learning - quality that is just what I want is better than sheer quantity of shoddy well-it'll-do-I-s'pose-for-now!

Now I just need to do the same with everything else I like to wear often or a lot... ;)
    2024: 66 coupons
    second-hand acquisitions (no coupons): c.5 yards rich-red heavy linen fabric, free; c.3 yards cream linen, eBay;
    2024 needlework (reverse-coupons): 3:i:24 sleep-mask (0); 12:i:2024 red linen pinafore dress (7); *Reverse-couponing*: 7 coupons

........................................................................................................................................................................2023 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 66 coupons for 2023 - Jan 27th jeans 6 coupons; February 25th, 2 pairs plimsoles 2x5 coupons; March a second pair of jeans 6 coupons, 300g of wool for slipover 6 coupons, 8 metres linen for undies, 0 coupons as present; leather lace-up shoes 5 coupons; May blue t-shirt 5 coupons, two pairs of shorts-knickers 4 coupons each; December grey/red tartan dress 7 coupons, four pairs knickers 4x2 coupons, pyjamas to wear as blouse and knickers, 5 and 2 coupons = -1 coupons left for 2023..2021 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 66 coupons for 2021TotalRem'g as of Oct 5th 43.5..2020 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: Calculations not done yet - started with 74.5 coupons (66+8.5 from 2019)..2019 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 8.5 coupons left out of 66
  • maddiemay
    maddiemay Posts: 4,971
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    I would like to join for 2020 too please, 4 coupons carried forward.

I noticed a few days ago that the town's shoe shop (quality and expensive) had some Timberland walking boots in the sale at £30 less than the normal price of £130:) (my existing pair were bought about 6 years ago after an ankle op and have been worn for sightseeing, shopping, the shorter walks that I can now do and the daily dog walks. On investigation I found they had none in my size, but found some on line that should be delivered on Thursday. My DOH kindly offered to buy them for me:D As it will be a gift to me, do I need to give up any of my points - pretty please?
    The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time. (Abraham Lincoln)
  • Oh, if it's a gift, it's out of HIS coupons, so you don't spend any! Nice one!

And what a great start to the year, comfy feet... being 17 stone and walking *lots*, a couple of miles most days, plus around the flat, I had just assumed painful feet were inevitable, until a very very kind friend sent me a pair of Merrell's hiking boots she had bought in the wrong size, and ohhhhh, the difference they made! I wore them all the time for a while and now I only wear them for hiking, but it's made such a difference. Wearing them sort of gave me feet time to recover from the permanent inflammation - and there's another reason I want to not buy more cheap shoes because I'm sure now they were behind half the pain!
    2024: 66 coupons
    second-hand acquisitions (no coupons): c.5 yards rich-red heavy linen fabric, free; c.3 yards cream linen, eBay;
    2024 needlework (reverse-coupons): 3:i:24 sleep-mask (0); 12:i:2024 red linen pinafore dress (7); *Reverse-couponing*: 7 coupons

........................................................................................................................................................................2023 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 66 coupons for 2023 - Jan 27th jeans 6 coupons; February 25th, 2 pairs plimsoles 2x5 coupons; March a second pair of jeans 6 coupons, 300g of wool for slipover 6 coupons, 8 metres linen for undies, 0 coupons as present; leather lace-up shoes 5 coupons; May blue t-shirt 5 coupons, two pairs of shorts-knickers 4 coupons each; December grey/red tartan dress 7 coupons, four pairs knickers 4x2 coupons, pyjamas to wear as blouse and knickers, 5 and 2 coupons = -1 coupons left for 2023..2021 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 66 coupons for 2021TotalRem'g as of Oct 5th 43.5..2020 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: Calculations not done yet - started with 74.5 coupons (66+8.5 from 2019)..2019 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 8.5 coupons left out of 66
  • maddiemay
    maddiemay Posts: 4,971
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    I have a pair of Merrell's boots which I bought a long time ago and paid the equivalent of a week's wages (part time), they are lovely, but much higher around the ankles, when I started having severe problems with ankles I found them difficult to wear and post-op bought the Timberlands which support the ankles, but lower around the heel IYSWIM.

Such is the nature of RA that recently the pain has moved from the ankles and as mentioned before is now severe in my hands. It seems to be a movable feast:(
    The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time. (Abraham Lincoln)
  • I'd like to join this year, I mainly buy from my local Sue Ryder shop as everything is £1
    Fashion world £165.82 Paid December 2019 :j Zinc £81.23/£71.23
    CCS £145.71/£136.00 Cabot £180.88/£170.00
    Lowell £1,044.24/£977.98 Lending stream. £1,167.00/£1,157.00
    Old rent £2,222.09 Lowell £1,319.85/£1,236.11
    CCS £2,515.95
  • PipneyJane
    Forumite
    maddiemay wrote: »
    I would like to join for 2020 too please, 4 coupons carried forward.

I noticed a few days ago that the town's shoe shop (quality and expensive) had some Timberland walking boots in the sale at £30 less than the normal price of £130:) (my existing pair were bought about 6 years ago after an ankle op and have been worn for sightseeing, shopping, the shorter walks that I can now do and the daily dog walks. On investigation I found they had none in my size, but found some on line that should be delivered on Thursday. My DOH kindly offered to buy them for me:D As it will be a gift to me, do I need to give up any of my points - pretty please?

Laura is right, Maddiemay. If it’s a gift, then it comes out of the gifter’s coupons.

- Pip
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

• PipneyJane
    Forumite
    Wishful01 wrote: »
    I'd like to join this year, I mainly buy from my local Sue Ryder shop as everything is £1

Welcome Wishful. You must have “the gift”. I used to work with a girl who could walk into a charity shop and find an outfit, every time. That is the gift.

- Pip

• thriftmonster
    thriftmonster Posts: 1,712
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 5 January 2020 at 8:00AM
    I would like to try this this year as well.

I think hats weren't rationed - from something in Nella Last - and "Hats and caps" are in the Without coupons list. I think it was to do with morale!
    “the princess jumped from the tower & she learned that she could fly all along. she never needed those wings.”
    Amanda Lovelace, The Princess Saves Herself in this One
  • I’m in again this year. I have 14 coupons carried over. I tried very hard not to buy any new clothes last year and mostly succeeded. I’d like to make more clothes this year so the coupons will probably go on fabric, although I do have a lot already!
    Stash busting challenge 2024: 3/100 £0/£50 Fashion on the ration 2024: 0/66
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure