2020 Fashion on the Ration Challenge

edited 28 June 2020 at 6:12PM in Old style MoneySaving
2K replies 67.1K views

Replies

• Laura_ElsewhereLaura_Elsewhere Forumite
    2.1K Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I've decided that this year I am actually timetabling Needlework Time into my week - every week I shall find several hours (currently a Wed afternoon, but if that changes, I *will* find other time!) to systematically work on finishing the thousand and one unfinished projects, and start and finish the hundred and one unstarted projects.

I shall end the year with fewer clothes but better ones - I can sew well, but I'm horribly slapdash about bodging things, so I want to learn how to do things properly, and how to draft more of my own patterns.

So... I shall be systematically sewing, knitting and crocheting my way through my coupons as mcuh as possible!
    2023 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 66 coupons for 2023 - Jan 27th jeans 6 coupons = 60 coupons left for 2023...............................2021 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 66 coupons for 2021TotalRem'g as of Oct 5th 43.52020 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: Calculations not done yet - started with 74.5 coupons (66+8.5 from 2019)2019 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 8.5 coupons left out of 662019 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 8.5 coupons left out of 66
  • keepcalmandcraftkeepcalmandcraft Forumite
    93 Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 10 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I visited a few charity shops this weekend and got some lovely bargains. I was actually looking for brown trousers but of course didn't find any! What I did find was a pair of M&S Roma jeans in my size for £1, 2 neutral tops for work for £2 each, a skirt for work for £2, a long textured velvet skirt that I bought for the fabric but actually fits and looks lovely for £2 and a beautiful kilt made of pure wool turquoise tartan that I will use the fabric for something (about 3 metres x 90cm wide) for £2. So 6 items for £11 and no coupons spent!

I've also had a good sort out of my clothes and shoes and got several bags for the CS. I've also turned all the hangers around so I can see what I wear over the next 6-12 months.

Laura_Elsewhere, I like your idea of timetabling in Needlework time, I think I need to do that as well.
    Stash busting challenge 2023: 3/100 £0/£100Fashion on the ration 2023: 0/66
    2.1K Posts
    Forumite
    So 6 items for £11 and no coupons spent!

I've also had a good sort out of my clothes and shoes and got several bags for the CS. I've also turned all the hangers around so I can see what I wear over the next 6-12 months.

Congrats on the CS finds - nice work! Turquoise isn't my colour but I wish i could find 3m of pure wool good fabric for a couple of quid!

Edit to Add: the Needlework session each week will include mending and alterations too. Basically whatever needs done to get me wearing nicer, better clothes!
    Turning your hangers is a brilliant idea - most of mine isn't on hangers, but on shelves, but I'll try to think of some way to do this. I need to unload my over-crammed tops and t-shirts shelves, shove everything into the tumble-dryer for 15 mins to freshen it up and then put it all back, anyway, so I may do something that will let me know what I wear and don't wear... actually, not putting it *all* back would be a good start!
    2023 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 66 coupons for 2023 - Jan 27th jeans 6 coupons = 60 coupons left for 2023...............................2021 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 66 coupons for 2021TotalRem'g as of Oct 5th 43.52020 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: Calculations not done yet - started with 74.5 coupons (66+8.5 from 2019)2019 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 8.5 coupons left out of 662019 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 8.5 coupons left out of 66
  • ditty1234ditty1234 Forumite
    1.9K Posts
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Just found this challenge, and while I do think it looks fun, I wont actually join as I will be on my 2. year of just about not buying any clothes - tells you about how much I used to buy. Still have a full basket of stockings!
    LBM Jan 2019 - £25.928/Active debt £14616 43% sorted
    EF 2020 - May £152/£6000 2.5%
    Housing fund 2020-2023 £1800/6000 30%
    2.1K Posts
    Forumite
    ditty1234 wrote: »
    Just found this challenge, and while I do think it looks fun, I wont actually join as I will be on my 2. year of just about not buying any clothes - tells you about how much I used to buy. Still have a full basket of stockings!

Oooh, you're very welcome in here - you can be cheerleader and give us tips on how you did it - well done!!!
  • lykkeliglykkelig Forumite
    37 Posts
    Forumite
    Laura Elsewhere may I thank you for single handedly changing how I make socks. I have today repaired a hole in a two month old pair of socks, right by the toe, and it's no wonder - I can see my toes through the fabric. I just thought that was how sock fabric was meant to be and never questioned it. I can't get 2mm needles until a trip out next week but I can't wait to start making a dense sock fabric. I thought you would like to know that I had a mend to perform on such young such socks. Proof in the pudding.
    2020 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 4/66 coupons spent
    2020 Frugal Living Challenge
  • thriftwizardthriftwizard Forumite
    4.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    (((I may have to conquer this knitting thing. Or live with deep sock envy forever after...)))
    Angie GC Jan 23 £497.16/£400 ooops 2023 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 7/66 (Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
    2.1K Posts
    Forumite
    (((I may have to conquer this knitting thing. Or live with deep sock envy forever after...)))

Well... if you live within travelling distance of the Shrewsbury/Telford area I'd be very happy to meet up for a few hours and take you through the basics...

Mwahaha- er, I mean, any time. Really.

;)
    2.1K Posts
    Forumite
    lykkelig wrote: »
    Laura Elsewhere may I thank you for single handedly changing how I make socks. I have today repaired a hole in a two month old pair of socks, right by the toe, and it's no wonder - I can see my toes through the fabric. I just thought that was how sock fabric was meant to be and never questioned it. I can't get 2mm needles until a trip out next week but I can't wait to start making a dense sock fabric. I thought you would like to know that I had a mend to perform on such young such socks. Proof in the pudding.

I am pleased! Like I said, a teensy bit evangelical... ;)

The other way to do it is to knit a larger size than you need on the larger needles but then deliberately wash them a little too hot or tumble-dry yarn that shouldn't be tumble-dried - but you have to do it very carefully or you end up with teeny tiny felt bootee for toddlers! ! :)

In fact, that's how I knit our thick house-sock slipper-boots... I knit gigantic floppy huge socks, iirc the foot is about 13 inches long, using Aran yarn on 6mm needles - and then wash and dry them carefully until they come down to being the required 9-10 inches long, by which time everything's meshed together and become "fulled" which is what people nowadays usually call felting. But it only works with pure wool yarn that *shouldn't* be machine-washed!
  • supersaver1000supersaver1000 Forumite
    2.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    Hi All

My leggings all came but only 1 pair fitted me - so two to go back and 2 coupons spent. The long sleeve t-shirt also fitted me nicely and at half price for £5 its good value (and a pretty colour/pattern) so I am going to keep it. Not sure if I am doing the right thing as its 5 coupons but time will tell.

Going to update my signature from now on with my coupon total but I have spend 7, so still have 59 left.

Have a good day everyone.
    OSWL (start 13st) by 30Jun20 6/10
    £1/day Xmas'20-62 £214/£366 saved
    Grocery Challenge Jun £742/£320 spent
    Homeowner wannabe by July 2020 - WooHoo!!
    Starter Emergency Fund £1000/£1000 saved