Forum Home» Old Style MoneySaving

2020 Fashion on the Ration Challenge - Page 7

New Post Advanced Search

2020 Fashion on the Ration Challenge

1.3K replies 44.6K views

Replies

• PipneyJanePipneyJane Forumite
    2.2K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    I do love your socks, Laura. They are such wonderful colours.

Its something I've never tried - perhaps I should!

Socks are considerably easier than many people think. My personal recommendation is don’t buy double pointed needles that are longer than 8 inches. The shorter ones are much easier to handle. (My personal preference is for 6 inch ones.)
    lykkelig wrote: »
    I appreciate what you have wrote to me in reply and it's full of really useful information. I did mean thicker yarns yes, but realistically I know every day socks wouldn't fit in my boots.

I knit 4-ply with a 2.5 needle and cast on 56 but I was thinking of going to 2.25 with a 64 cast on and I'm so relieved because I hadn't the needles and needed to invest. I will now invest in 2mm and use a 72 cast on all for the longevity of the sock. Many thanks.

You have also inspired me to think about a laceweight ankle sock for the summer and never did it enter my mind to colourwork a heel. That would work beautifully in terms of reinforcement. Thank you, truly, for your help.

Pip I'm about to click on your username to go hunt out the knit on darn. Thank you. Edited because I found the post. Excellent repair Pip and bookmarked for future use. I also saw your latest post about yarn being your rationing downfall. It may well be mine too.

Glad I could help.

I wear hand-knitted socks and loafers to work most days. I have size 5 feet, but I have been known to buy size 6 shoes/boots so that I could wear them with my hand knit socks. I always wear my hand knit socks when I buy my loafers.

The BIGGEST thing re sock-fit is to get your tension right. The best thing is that you don’t have to knit a tension square - just knit 3 or 4 inches of the leg of your sock and then measure the gauge. If it matches the pattern, you’re golden. If it doesn’t, then rip it out and start again with a larger or smaller needles.

I get 8.5 stitches to the inch on 2.5mm needles, using 4-ply yarn. My pattern is similar to Laura’s. Somewhere on last year’s thread, we both shared our sock recipes. I cast on 60 st for me (size 5 feet) or 72st for my DH (size 11 feet).
    Thankyou! I only learnt to knit in my 30s because I couldn't buy nice socks easily any more - when the tube socks came in, that was all you could get for a while!

I would say go for it with the sock-knitting - it really isn't as difficult as people think. After all, the assumption for a few centuries in many areas was that a 5-year-old could knit simple little ankle-socks and a ten-year-old could knit knee-high stockings, shaped with a turnover cuff.... there are official records from the 17th century, even a census iirc for Norwich for the 16th century, with small children listed as "hose knitter" for an occupation!

I totally agree. Your socks are beautiful as always, Laura.

- Pip
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

2020 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 40/66 coupons spent. 26 remain.
  • PipneyJanePipneyJane Forumite
    2.2K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Found it! The original post is here. I’m copying and pasting it below:-

This is my standard sock recipe for 4-ply yarn on 2.5mm needles. If I need to increase the size, I'll do it it in 4 stitch increments. When I wrote it, I claimed to knit 7 st to the inch but the 10-year-old pair of socks I’ve just checked run to 8.5 st and fit perfectly.

Equipment

100g 4-ply sock yarn
    Five 2.5mm double pointed needles 6-8 inches in length
    1 row counter, hung from a ring stitch marker on a 3-inch loop of yarn
    1 other stitch marker.

Method

Me (UK size 5): CO 60st DH (UK size 11): CO 72st.
    Divide between 4 needles - I do 10st, 20st, 20st, and 10st - then join in round being careful not to twist. Work K2 P2 rib for 15 rows.
    Change to stocking stitch and continue knitting until 68 rnds (Me) or 72 rnds (DH) are completed.

Divide for heel:

K15 st (me) or K18 st (DH), turn slip 1 and purl back 29st (me) or 35st (DH). You'll have either 30 or 36 stitches on your working needle. Place a marker in the middle of the stitches on your needle. (I hang a row counter from the middle, attached to a stitch marker.)
    Count that row as "row 1". For rows 2 to 28 (me) or 36 (DH), work as follows:

Knit rows: *Slip 1 K1, repeat from * to end
    Purl rows: Slip 1 purl to end

In the meantime, use a plastic coil needle holder to keep needles 2 and 3 out of the way (and to stop those stitches slipping off).

Turn heel:

Start after you have completed an even numbered (Knit) row.
    Slip1 purl until you are 2 stitches after your centre marker, p2 tog p1 turn.
    Slip 1, k until you are 2 stitches after your centre marker, SSK, K1 turn.
    Slip 1, P until you are 3 stitches after your centre marker p2 tog p1 turn.
    Slip 1, k until you are 3 stitches after your centre marker, SSK, K1 turn.
    Repeat these two rows, taking in one more stitch each time you go beyond the central marker, until you've incorporated all the stitches from your heel flap, ending with a knit row.

Gusset: Using a latch hook, pick up 16 st (me) 37 st (DH) from the left edge of the heel flap and slip onto a separate DPN. Place a marker (M1) on your DPN (I transfer my row counter to this point) then knit 5 stitches from needle 2. Taking a fresh DPN, finish knitting the stitches on needle 2 and knit all but 5 of the stitches on needle 3. (You should have one DPN spare now or 2 if it was a pack of 6.) With your last, spare DPN, knit across the remaining 5 stitches from needle 3, place a marker (M2) and then pick up the same number of stitches that you picked up from the other side of the flap. Knit across the stitches along the bottom of the flap, then back up the other side to M1.

NOTE: when knitting into picked up stitches, knit through the back of the loop, to make them twist, to get a tighter stitch and thus limit holes.

Work the gusset in two-round increments: Rnd 1, knit. Rnd 2 K to M2, slip the marker, k1, SSK. K to 3 stitches before M1, K2tog, K1. Continue decreasing in this fashion until you are back to the same number of stitches as your original cast on. When working with 5 needles gets a bit too fiddly, redistribute your knitting from 4 needles back to 3. Keep M1 in position, but you can lose M2 at this point.

Work 48 rnds (me) 52 (DH). Needle 1 is the one with the marker.

Toe:

Rnd 1: K to 3 st before the end of needle 2, K2tog, K1. Start needle 3, K1 SSK, k to 3st before your marker, K2tog, K1.
    Rnd 2: Slip marker K1 SSK. K until you're back at the marker.
    Repeat these 2 rounds until 12 st (me) or 8 st (DH) remain, ending with a non-decrease round. Kitchener Stitch the toe together. (I do it, I can't describe it.)

Cast on the second sock and knit to match.

Laura’s instructions for Kitchener Stitch

Knitted-grafting:
    Cut yarn long.
    Set up: a. Front knit on, back purl on

Fr p off
    Fr kn on
    B kn off
    B p on
    ie whatever you did last time, change it. Never two ons or offs in a row.

- Pip
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

2020 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 40/66 coupons spent. 26 remain.
  • CAFCGirlCAFCGirl Forumite
    8.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Oooooh I so very nearly missed this!

I believe I've got 20 coupons from last year which seems utterly wicked, but I'm actually going to try to stay within the year's allowance.
    I cant foresee currently what I may need for the year. Most likely new undies and possibly trainers for running.
    Spring and autumn wardrobe seems ok, possibly some shorts for summer if we're gonna have a repeat of previous... but those items I can see are coupon-free doable so I've got some searches and watches on Ebay already LOL
    One income, home educating family life
    Fashion On The Ration Coupons 2019 46\66 Excess Spent 28/2/2020 YARN
    Fashion On The Ration Coupons 2020 14/66
  • CAFCGirlCAFCGirl Forumite
    8.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    'For homeless people, apparently best to avoid bright colours or anything that could be misinterpreted as one particular football team, as those could potentially draw aggressive behaviour, which is something I'd not thought of til I read something recently...'

So brown and black then!

Son's partner has expressed a wish for some more fingerless mitts so I will make a start on that.

Or grey..... :rotfl:
    One income, home educating family life
    Fashion On The Ration Coupons 2019 46\66 Excess Spent 28/2/2020 YARN
    Fashion On The Ration Coupons 2020 14/66
  • thriftwizardthriftwizard Forumite
    3.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well... if you live within travelling distance of the Shrewsbury/Telford area I'd be very happy to meet up for a few hours and take you through the basics...

I'd love to! But sadly I'm down on the south coast, towards the west, which is quite a long haul. However I might be up your way for Wonderwool Wales in a few months - I feel the need for fluff & glitter in a manageable setting!
    Angie

GC Sept 20 £281.07/£500
    2020 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 25 used out of 68

(Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
  • vintagegalvintagegal Forumite
    162 posts
    Bought some boots in the sale, they haven't come yet but I will update my signature.
    It's always shoes with me...
    Fashion on the Ration 2020 - 5/66 spent
  • I love the way your chats create such wonder imagery. I almost felt I was about to join in with a wine evening with everyone earlier on.

Got a question for you all. I need some flat knee high boots to replace some heeled boots I already have. I have found two pairs I like, one brown pair and one black pair. I cannot buy two pairs (lack of funds and excessive anyway) so which pair would you say would be more versatile. My current ones are black but I don't think they really go with my brown leggings but I do wear black quite a lot and wonder whether the brown ones would go with my black trousers and leggings. I would be interested to know your thoughts. Do you wear black and brown together?

I did another declutter of my wardrobe and got rid of a few more things. This is mostly because I have decided to not have a separate "work" wardrobe and I had a lot of clothes in that section that I didn't like so I have decided to do away with them. One large carrier bag ready to go to the charity shop.
    Lisa x
    Fashion on a Ration Challenge 2020 - 66 (+ 19 carried over) = 85 coupons/Spent 23.5 coupons
    Frugal Living Challenge 2020
    Make Do, Mend and Minimise 2020
  • Laura_ElsewhereLaura_Elsewhere Forumite
    922 posts
    Fourth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    I love the way your chats create such wonder imagery. I almost felt I was about to join in with a wine evening with everyone earlier on.

Got a question for you all. I need some flat knee high boots to replace some heeled boots I already have. I have found two pairs I like, one brown pair and one black pair. I cannot buy two pairs (lack of funds and excessive anyway) so which pair would you say would be more versatile. My current ones are black but I don't think they really go with my brown leggings but I do wear black quite a lot and wonder whether the brown ones would go with my black trousers and leggings. I would be interested to know your thoughts. Do you wear black and brown together?

I did another declutter of my wardrobe and got rid of a few more things. This is mostly because I have decided to not have a separate "work" wardrobe and I had a lot of clothes in that section that I didn't like so I have decided to do away with them. One large carrier bag ready to go to the charity shop.

I think it depends on how you wear the black, if that makes sense.

I wear brown boots with a black skirt, but then I'd also be wearing a crimson jumper and a cream fur-edged waistcoat, or perhaps a vivid green jumper, or maybe just a big cream-oatmeal jumper.

Whereas if the black is worn as a more sort of chic-urban-formal sort of outfit, all very sleek and monochrome, then the brown boots might look odd.

Does that make sense?
    2020 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 74.5 coupons left out of 74.5
    (66+8.5 from last year)

2019 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 8.5 coupons left out of 66
  • lykkeliglykkelig Forumite
    37 posts
    My current boots are to match my current coat. Neither of which I like but are too good to discard just on an unlike. If the boots need replacing before the coat I'll be in a dilemma because it would be a bind to buy to match the coat when my heart desires a more outdoorsy number and walking boots.

I thought another, slightly baffling, thought process might help you. Tongue and cheek, of course.
    2020 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 4/66 coupons spent
    2020 Frugal Living Challenge
  • PollyWollyDoodlePollyWollyDoodle Forumite
    1.5K posts
    1,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    I’m with Laura - I wouldn’t wear brown boots with a black suit (anyone else know the Stanley Holloway monologue about ‘brown boots’? :rotfl: ) but I wear my brown boots with a black jacket or jumper and a patterned skirt.

I love boots, I am lucky enough to have both black and brown knee boots, quite old but still good, and the black ankle boots I bought last year get worn pretty much every day. I’m thinking of spending some coupons on another pair, looked after carefully boots are a real investment.
    Life is mainly froth and bubble: two things stand like stone. Kindness in another’s trouble, courage in your own.