Forum Home» Old Style MoneySaving

2020 Fashion on the Ration Challenge - Page 2

New Post Advanced Search

2020 Fashion on the Ration Challenge

1.4K replies 45.6K views

Replies

• supersaver1000supersaver1000 Forumite
    2.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Can I join the challenge please?

I have a wardrobe full of stuff I don't wear - mostly charity shop stuff or things from pre-menopause weight gain days. Have lost half a stone and determined to lose more. It would be nice to get into the old stuff but I hope this challenge will encourage me to repurpose some of it rather than buy new things.

Happy New Fashion Year!!
    OSWL (start 13st) by 30Jun20 6/10
    £1/day Xmas'20-62 £214/£366 saved
    Grocery Challenge Jun £742/£320 spent
    Homeowner wannabe by July 2020 - WooHoo!!
    Starter Emergency Fund £1000/£1000 saved
  • Wishful01Wishful01 Forumite
    62 posts
    I’m just lucky pip we have a clearance sue Ryder it’s all the stuff other shops can’t sell in the area but loads of decent makes come through the shop it’s just a case of hunting. DD got a beautiful Zara coat just before Christmas.
    Fashion world £165.82 Paid December 2019 :j Zinc £81.23/£71.23
    CCS £145.71/£136.00 Cabot £180.88/£170.00
    Lowell £1,044.24/£977.98 Lending stream. £1,167.00/£1,157.00
    Old rent £2,222.09 Lowell £1,319.85/£1,236.11
    CCS £2,515.95
  • PollyWollyDoodlePollyWollyDoodle Forumite
    1.5K posts
    1,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    I’m in! Sadly no coupons to carry over (in fact I may have resorted to the black market in December ... shhh). This really made me focus on how much I wanted to buy things last year, and I have lots of plans this year for alterations and new makes, from fabric I already own. I bought a lot of secondhand stuff last year, which didn’t need coupons.

Although I’m hoping to lose some more weight, I don’t think it will result in the ‘three dress sizes’ change which meant I had to buy new work clothes in 2019. So here goes - good luck with your charity shop purchases everyone and tighten your belts!
    Life is mainly froth and bubble: two things stand like stone. Kindness in another’s trouble, courage in your own.
  • PipneyJanePipneyJane Forumite
    2.2K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    I would like to try this this year as well.

I think hats weren't rationed - from something in Nella Last - and "Hats and caps" are in the Without coupons list. I think it was to do with morale!

So they are! Well spotted, Thriftmonster. I’ll amend the the first post.

- Pip
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

2020 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 40/66 coupons spent. 26 remain.
  • thriftwizardthriftwizard Forumite
    3.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Please may I join in too? I really enjoyed doing this last year & ended up with 2 coupons to carry forward. I too have access to cheap secondhand clothing, officially in the line of my business, but quite often for my own or household use as well! So I should be able to do somewhat better than last year; I was amazed by how quickly the coupons drifted away from me, mostly on underwear & fabric.

No excuses this year; I have enough fabric to sink a battleship & really need to use at least half of it up before being allowed anywhere near a fabric shop! I must also utilise my skills as a spinner & dyer if I find myself in need of yarn; I have several beautiful soft fleeces out in the garage awaiting my attention.

I should also get stuck in with my new overlocker & make any underwear that I need. I'm not anticipating needing very much, I'm well stocked up just now, but - who knows?
    Angie

GC Sept 20 £281.07/£500
    2020 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 25 used out of 68

(Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
  • Laura_ElsewhereLaura_Elsewhere Forumite
    934 posts
    Fourth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭

No excuses this year; I have enough fabric to sink a battleship & really need to use at least half of it up before being allowed anywhere near a fabric shop!

Blimey, between us we'd best stay away from any naval ports then! Two battle ships could go down if we carted our combined fabric stores on board! :)

I'll copy and paste from last year's thread, but I really am trying very hard to use up yarn I already have. I have a big, deep, double-cupboard and yet somehow I also have bags and boxes overflowing in every room...!
    I wrote last week:
    I'm working very hard on using up what I have - one plan I have in the next few weeks is to get everything out of the yarn cupboard and re-weigh it and update my Rav stash-catalogue.... BUT I shall add up the weights, so I get a total weight of yarn (so long as it weighs less than I do, it won't be too bad...)
    then I'm putting the yarn cupboard on a diet... I can still buy yarn if it's a good idea to buy that yarn at that time - but more out than in over the year and see how much lighter my yarn cupboard is by next December!

I haven't done it yet, but I'm determined to make my yarn lose weight! If I don't knit or crochet it, then I ought to give it away to friends who will...
    2020 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 74.5 coupons left out of 74.5
    (66+8.5 from last year)

2019 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 8.5 coupons left out of 66
  • getmyacttogether2016getmyacttogether2016 Forumite
    243 posts
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭
    Evening all

I’m in again this year with full focus.

Looking forward to see how everyone does.

GMAT
    Lost my way for far too long but now back on board and hoping to lead a more simplistic lifestyle

Grocery challenge £103.91/£200
    2020 Fashion on the Ration 47/66
    No buying unnecessary toiletries - UU 0/24
  • JuliaPJuliaP Forumite
    11 posts
    10 Posts
    Newbie here

Would very much like to join the 2020 challenge, if I may?
    Have always been fascinated by WW2 and rationing (cooked for the family for a week a few years ago, using WW2 recipes, and ration quantities - interesting experiment!)

Am a bit of a minimalist (have to be, I live on a boat), so don't tend to overbuy clothes, and also have a huge yarn stash (coincidentally am currently knitting from an original 1940s ladieswear pattern), but will be interesting to see how the Year pans out.

Look forward to 'getting to know' you all

JP
  • edited 2 January at 6:58AM
    supersaver1000supersaver1000 Forumite
    2.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 2 January at 6:58AM
    I had a quick look up of capsule wardrobes yesterday. According to many of the articles most of us wear only 20% of our wardrobes something like 80% of the time. I can really identify with that as I have a huge wardrobe and only a few items I wear a lot which tend to get lost in all the carp.

I seem to have a lot of dresses and skirts that don't quite fit, but to be honest my work (where I spend most of my time) isn't dresses and skirts these days. I have one pair of Wallis leggings that I have worn to death with long tops and blouses, some smart trousers for meetings etc. and a skirt/tight/jumper option when I want a change (all getting a bit jaded). So, I think my first mission is to find some decent leggings/jeggings/jeans and buy 3 or 4 pairs. Secondly, find some shoes to go with them - a couple of years ago I bought two pairs of Skechers at buy one get one half price, which would be great. Thirdly to buy a coat that can be smart or casual and my final mission will be to keep a look out for longish tops to go with them.

I would also like to look out for a dress I can wear with thick tights/boots. I've had a quick count up below and this may mean summer will be a bit short of coupons but summer always seems easier to dress for. I am a bit short of cash, especially as we are saving to move soon - might be a fair bit of ebaying needed before I make my purchases.

Feeling quite positive for the first time in a long time about clothes :)

Quick count up of my plans:
    Leggings - 3 x 2 coupons = 6 coupons
    Jeans = 6 coupons
    Short Coat = 11 coupons
    Shoes - 2 x 5 = 10 coupons

So this would be 33 coupons, half of my allowance for the year but I reckon I would wear this so much. Blouses and cardi's are 5 coupons each and dresses 7 or 11 coupons - this will definitely be a challenge. I will need to have a good look at my current wardrobe for anything that can be adapted, before any disposals.

I'm looking forward to this challenge. I hope I'm doing this the right way - I know that I will be buying quite a lot to start with but I think I need the basics first. I've also just spotted that second hand clothes are zero coupons - that's brilliant, now I know where my blouses will come from :)
    OSWL (start 13st) by 30Jun20 6/10
    £1/day Xmas'20-62 £214/£366 saved
    Grocery Challenge Jun £742/£320 spent
    Homeowner wannabe by July 2020 - WooHoo!!
    Starter Emergency Fund £1000/£1000 saved
  • PollyWollyDoodlePollyWollyDoodle Forumite
    1.5K posts
    1,000 Posts Fifth Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, second hand is the way I save coupons, you can’t always find what you want of course, but jeans are always available and I posted last year about finding it much easier to buy them in a charity shop because there are fewer options. I used to gaze at the racks of skinny/straight/bootcut/stretch in confusion, now I just try on a few in my size till I find a pair that fit.
    Life is mainly froth and bubble: two things stand like stone. Kindness in another’s trouble, courage in your own.