Passport / visa requirements for 12 hours in Singapore

Options
In December, I've got 12 hours in Singapore before I travel onwards to NZ.
My family fancy having a mooch around Singapore, but I'm unsure what visa is needed (if at all) and what the passport requirements are.
We're all English, travelling on UK passports - 3 of us have several years left on our passports, but one of the child passports expires in Apr 2020.
Some online resources indicate that we need 6 months on the passport, but others say that for a short term visa issued at the airport, only 1 month is required.

Comments

• eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,574 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    No visa is required for UK passport holders for a stay of up to 2(?) months, you simply fill in a landing card and get an entry stamp.

As for the child's passport, Singapore officials are intelligent and reasonable, I doubt they will prevent entry on seeing your booked onward travel twelve hours later. If you want to be sure, renewal is easy, but as extra months are no longer added you will lose the last four months validity of the current passport.

There's a free City Tour from the airport that could take up some of your time, Google it.
    Evolution, not revolution
  • Heliflyguy
    Options
    Passport must be valid for 6 months from date of arrival for a stay of up to 90 days to enter Singapore.
    I'm sure they are intelligent so will probably apply the rules, why would they not?

I'm sure you are aware that from 1st this month you need a online ETA (electronic travel authorisation) to enter NZ unless you have some other type of visa.
  • Murphy_The_Cat
    Murphy_The_Cat Posts: 20,967 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    eDicky wrote: »
    No visa is required for UK passport holders for a stay of up to 2(?) months, you simply fill in a landing card and get an entry stamp.

As for the child's passport, Singapore officials are intelligent and reasonable, I doubt they will prevent entry on seeing your booked onward travel twelve hours later. If you want to be sure, renewal is easy, but as extra months are no longer added you will lose the last four months validity of the current passport.

There's a free City Tour from the airport that could take up some of your time, Google it.

cheers eDicky. Thats just the information that I was looking for. We're looking at going on the City Tour, thank you for suggesting it as well.

The passport renewal isn't completely straightforward (nothing ever is). We're starting our holiday ex-eu and if the UK leaves under No Deal on 31st October, we'll need to replace my sons passport as it won't have the required 6 months life on it - however, in the very near future he'll need to change from a childs passport to an adult passport, but we can't apply for a adult passport until 3 weeks before his 16th birthday.

IF the UK doesn't leave the eu on the 31st Oct under No Deal, then all will be good and his passport will be fine.

Alternatively, we can set the ball rolling at the start of Nov for getting a new adult passport to replace his expiring child passport anyway. (although he'd ptefer to hang on until Spring 2020, so he'll be sure to get a blue passport)
  • Murphy_The_Cat
    Options
    Heliflyguy wrote: »
    Passport must be valid for 6 months from date of arrival for a stay of up to 90 days to enter Singapore.
    I'm sure they are intelligent so will probably apply the rules, why would they not?

I'm sure you are aware that from 1st this month you need a online ETA (electronic travel authorisation) to enter NZ unless you have some other type of visa.

aaaaarrrrgghhhh
    2 answers which contradict each other:eek:.

I know about the new NZ tourist taxes (for t'is what they are), but can't apply for my son's until I'm certain which passport he'll have.

Its looking like I'll be applying for his first adult passport at the earlist opportunity, then applying for/paying for the new tourist taxes, plus we'll be free and clear to visit Singapore whilst we're in transit.
  • comeandgo
    comeandgo Posts: 5,744 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Be sure to use the New Zealand government site for the visas as there are many sites charging inflated prices for them.
  • Murphy_The_Cat
    Options
    comeandgo wrote: »
    Be sure to use the New Zealand government site for the visas as there are many sites charging inflated prices for them.

Good advice.

So good, its worth posting twice.
    Be sure to use the New Zealand government site for the visas as there are many sites charging inflated prices for them
  • sazaccount
    Options
    Good advice.

So good, its worth posting twice.
    Be sure to use the New Zealand government site for the visas as there are many sites charging inflated prices for them

There is also an app that you can download where the "electronic travel authority" for $9 instead of the $12 online https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-zealand-visas/apply-for-a-visa/about-visa/nzeta
    Thanks to money saving tips and debt repayments/becoming debt free I have been able to work and travel for the last 4 years visiting 12 countries and working within 3 of them. Currently living and working in Canada :beer: :dance:
  • heatherw_01
    heatherw_01 Posts: 6,554 Ambassador
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Your passport should be valid for a minimum period of 6 months from the date of entry into Singapore
    From the government website
    https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/singapore/entry-requirements
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Quick Grabbit, Freebies, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning and the UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards.
    If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,323 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Options
    You're probably aware but be very careful about taking any food into NZ, especially stuff like fruit, there are heavy penalties and they will find it. A sniffer dog detected a plastic bag deep in our luggage which had previously had an apple in it!

Some stuff is OK eg I think stuff like packaged sweets etc but check and bin/leave on the plane if in doubt.
  • Murphy_The_Cat
    Options
    zagfles wrote: »
    You're probably aware but be very careful about taking any food into NZ, especially stuff like fruit, there are heavy penalties and they will find it. A sniffer dog detected a plastic bag deep in our luggage which had previously had an apple in it!

Some stuff is OK eg I think stuff like packaged sweets etc but check and bin/leave on the plane if in doubt.

My sprogs are keen viewers of TV shows like Australian/NZ Border/Customs/Police so we'll be sure not to have any chicken fillets, pate, strawberries or scotch eggs with us. Plus, I've already been told to make sure that we don't have any soil on the soles of our shoes.

& my England rugby shirt will be freshly laundered:T :D:j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport