Last minute car rental cancellation policy

Options
Hi,

I recently booked a flight + hotel package on lastminute.com. On the last page just before payment I had the option to rental a car. It is marked as free cancellation and I also checked the terms and conditions just below the car rental section:
Cancellation of Fully Prepaid Bookings
If you cancel 48 hours or more before your rental is due to start, the money you’ve paid will be refunded.
Amendments (changes to your booking)
You can make changes to your booking any time before you’re due to pick the car up.
If your pick-up time is at least 48 hours away, the easiest way to do this is to go to ‘Manage booking’ in the top right-hand corner.
If you need to change something when your pick-up time is less than 48 hours away, please call us instead.
There is no fee for changing your booking, but any changes you make may affect the rental price.

Later I realised I could book the same car elsewhere with a no excess insurance for a cheaper price. I then called up Last minute and they said I could cancel the car rental if I paid a £30 handling fee.
I told them there website said there is no fee to change the booking but they insisted that because I booked a package any service I add on top is part of the package and liable to the handling fee reserved for amendments to packages.

When looking at the packages terms and conditions (at the bottom of the booking page), and scrolling down to the very bottom of it, it says:
6. Any change requested by the User after confirmation of the services included in the package holiday will incurr an extra £30 per person charge.

I don't consider the car being part of the package since I decide to add at the end and it has separate terms and conditions.

I dont know if anyone has experienced this situation before and I would appreciate some feedback regarding to how I should handle this.

Thanks.

Comments

• Alan_Bowen
    Alan_Bowen Posts: 4,850 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 23 July 2019 at 8:39AM
    Options
    Legally buying a flight and car hire at the same time creates a package and I would expect package rules to apply. Having said that if at the time you added car hire, it showed you could cancel for free, they should abide by the offer and amend their website pronto. See if you can recreate the page if you didn't take a screenshot at the time and then send the evidence to them
  • heatherw_01
    heatherw_01 Posts: 6,554 Ambassador
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    You added the car so it is a package, doesn't matter what stage it's still a package booking
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Quick Grabbit, Freebies, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning and the UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards.
    If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • AntoineFR
    AntoineFR Posts: 14 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I still don't believe that they have a write to mark this as free cancellation and say that amendments can be made without a fee when this is actually not true.
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,575 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    To change (amend) your booking does not necessarily include cancellation. I don't see mention of no fee for cancellation, only 'the money you’ve paid will be refunded.'
    Evolution, not revolution
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport