PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Has anyone relocated from the South East to North of England?

Options

Comments

• chelseablue
    chelseablue Posts: 3,303 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    On doing some more research apparently the Ribble Valley in Lancashire is nice

Plus Penwortham and Longridge, both on the outskirts of Preston where we have friends so wouldn't be totally alone :rotfl:
  • BrownTrout
    BrownTrout Posts: 2,298 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Yes the ribble valley is nice. I like Lancashire.. Burnley is erm cheap :)
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    On doing some more research apparently the Ribble Valley in Lancashire is nice

Plus Penwortham and Longridge, both on the outskirts of Preston where we have friends so wouldn't be totally alone :rotfl:

Much better!
  • Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 29 May 2019 at 6:55PM
    Options
    One of my aunts was brought up in Leeds, but married and worked in London for many years. Whilst my cousin was still school-age (<10) and my aunt was mid-career the family relocated to West Yorkshire. Despite a later divorce and division of assets, my aunt became mortgage-free on a two bedroom cottage before she retired.

My parents were brought up in Leeds, but worked and raised a family in London and the South East. They retired early (50+) and relocated back to West Yorkshire, buying a large two bedroom duplex apartment outright.

I was born and brought up in London and the South East, but did live in Yorkshire for couple of years when I was twenty-ish. In my early thirties I purchased a large one bedroom city centre apartment in West Yorkshire outright, using the money from my divorce. I let the flat for a couple of years, then relocated up here over a decade ago, returning to full-time study.

My sibling moved out of London to a commuter town with their spouse and child, not far from the in-laws whom they have a great relationship with, and have a large mortgage. They have a circle of close friends who are scattered in other commuter towns around the South East.

My cousin is now in the North East with their spouse and children, not far from the in-laws whom they have a great relationship with, and are mortgage-free on a four bedroom detached house.

Nobody in my family regrets their decisions AFAIK. :) Financial freedom is amazing, but relocating is much less stressful if you have some friends or relatives nearby.
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • Albala
    Albala Posts: 310 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    BrownTrout wrote: »
    Yes the ribble valley is nice. I like Lancashire.. Burnley is erm cheap :)
    Old terraced houses in the Blackburn-Burnley-Colne area are cheap, because there is an oversupply of that specific house type. Even so, a terrace in a fashionable place like one of the surrounding villages or places like Barrowford can be fairly steep (compared to 'average' parts of the UK). Larger houses, like the bog standard older semi, detatcheds, or new houses, are about the same as they cost on most areas here in the West Midlands. It's a mistake to assume that because there are some extraordinarily cheap terraces in the rougher areas that the whole area is cheap, even for terraced houses. The very cheap ones slant the average- you need to look at the median or those in the more respectable areas.

Scenery is great, real Pennine stuff, but good facilities loacally, and you don't have to go far to the Dales or the Lakes. IMO the area is underrated. Local friends say- 'don't tell 'em, we want living here to stay cheap!'

The other side of Pendle there is Clitheroe, a place with reasonable shops/facilities, and not too far from Blackburn for bigger shops, and the Forest of Bowland is close if you're a cyclist or a walker.
  • Waterlily24
    Waterlily24 Posts: 1,328 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    We were lucky enough to become mortgage free down South, moved from Locks Heath to Felpham and bought a doer upper which was not mortgagable. We put an extension on and did the whole thing - a very big job it sold recently for about £520,000. We moved up here about 20 years ago because of my husbands job and love it, but there is no way we could move back down south because of the price of properties here and there. We are East Anglia though so not North.

Our first house was a semi in West Wickham and they are going for over £600,000 so even more.
  • chelseablue
    Options
    I know new builds aren't everyone's cup of tea (or should I say brew?)
    but this is just to show the difference

This is not far from where we live now, we could either never afford it be mortgaged up to the eyeballs for 40 years https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-76776347.html

Or move and get something like this, still have a mortgage but of only around £70,000
    https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-78058697.html
  • Owain_Moneysaver
    Owain_Moneysaver Posts: 11,357 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    still have a mortgage but of only around £70,000

Or you could buy a 4 bedroom terrace with some small change

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-70183558.html
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • chelseablue
    Options
    Or you could buy a 4 bedroom terrace with some small change

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-70183558.html

Thank you but had enough of diy :rotfl:
  • sgun
    sgun Posts: 716 Forumite
    Options
    I know new builds aren't everyone's cup of tea (or should I say brew?)
    but this is just to show the difference

This is not far from where we live now, we could either never afford it be mortgaged up to the eyeballs for 40 years https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-76776347.html

Or move and get something like this, still have a mortgage but of only around £70,000
    https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-78058697.html

Is a house like that really the most important thing in life you aspire to? It does seem you are looking for a bit of a status house, or as I would call them "all fur coat and no knickers houses".

What else do you want from an area? Countryside, vibrant music scene, friendly neighbours, food scene? Moving half way across the country away from friends and family, getting new jobs etc just for a house seems a bit odd to me. Surely there is more to life? What if the new area just doesn't do it for you so you decide you don't like "the north" and want to move back? Can you cover the depreciation?

Don't be fooled into thinking that a new build means no DIY either.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure