PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Has anyone relocated from the South East to North of England?

Options
14567810»

Comments

• lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,619 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Davesnave wrote: »
    While it's true that some rural areas are expensive, there's a big difference between, say, somewhere like Wellow on the outskirts of Bath, or Chew Stoke on the outskirts of Bristol and one of the ex-mining villages, like Paulton (see, I know my geography!)

And while we are more out in the sticks here, there's a railway that bisects this part of Devon, so I'd have a choice of a train or a bus every hour to Exeter/Barnstaple if I wanted it. I can also reach my doctor/dentist in 5 minutes from here, but B&Q or a normal sized Sainsburys is a 42mile round trip!

What you get in the country is often an anomalous mixture when it comes to convenience. Another example would be schools here, which are excellent, but there's no way children can safely walk to them, in winter particularly, so everyone pays or ferries their kids. In town, my children would walk a greater distance than they'd need to here to go to their chosen school.

Yes, there are problems, some of which can be overcome by knowing the areas really well before buying. I'd say 'near Bristol' is vastly different from here though; they're not comparable, though we do have horses, like Charlie Watts' wife's Arabian stud, which had 56 of them last time I looked. Now there's someone with taste!

I agree with you Dave but I work in an industry where people change jobs every few years, whether that’s through liquidation, acquisition, redundancy, off-shoring or out of choice.
    We (2 jobs) have found it better to place ourselves well for commuting generally e.g. near a mainline rail station and motorway, within commuting distance of several large towns rather than for a specific job,

A certain amount comes down to industry, so for example Cornwall will have nurses and teachers but probably not a lot of hi tech industry.

If your a hedge fund manager or barrister then your choices are restricted.

We work it IT which isn’t as restrictive as the above but there’s still a lot more jobs in the cities/towns than in rural areas.

It’s Not the only criteria, but I defy anyone to say commute is unimportant these days (unless they work from home).

Oddly enough I now have a job where I can work remotely 5 days a week, but DH has to be in the office 5 days a week.
  • iksbedd
    iksbedd Posts: 59 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    @chelseablue

Have you made any headway on this? I have a job offer on the table still, and have looked into schools up there which have places which are as good as the children's current school, our house is going on the market tomorrow, but I still can't bring myself to accept the job offer and resign from the job I've had for 13 years.

I'm totally petrified I'm making the wrong decision!
  • chelseablue
    chelseablue Posts: 3,303 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    iksbedd wrote: »
    @chelseablue

Have you made any headway on this? I have a job offer on the table still, and have looked into schools up there which have places which are as good as the children's current school, our house is going on the market tomorrow, but I still can't bring myself to accept the job offer and resign from the job I've had for 13 years.

I'm totally petrified I'm making the wrong decision!

Not progress as such, but I have set up a Rightmove email alert for Lancashire does that count :rotfl:

Getting daily emails of houses where I could have almost no mortgage and are actually nicer than the house I have now certainly focuses the mind!

Im sure you've sort of made up your mind if your selling your house? :):)

I was in my last job 11 years (from 22 to 33) and thought I'd never leave but I did and I love my current job even more than there.

Go for it I say (I will if you will haha)
  • iksbedd
    iksbedd Posts: 59 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Well, going on the market doesn't mean I have to move up North..... :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts