PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Has anyone relocated from the South East to North of England?

Options

Comments

• MatyMoo
    MatyMoo Posts: 3,171 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Not as drastic as you at looking but after 20 years in a Hertfordshire 3 bed mid terrace I moved back to a 3 bed semi in Cambridgeshire to be mortgage feee and couldn’t be happier.

Salary drop was only £2k but I think I was lucky;)
    :j Proud Member of Mike's Mob :j
  • Owain_Moneysaver
    Owain_Moneysaver Posts: 11,360 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Skiddaw1 wrote: »
    we're in process of selling our house in Berkshire

Rightmove link please :rotfl:
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • Albala
    Albala Posts: 310 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    swingaloo wrote: »
    But, when we first moved back up North I found that the attitude of a lot of those up here had a lot to be desired. Hubby was frequently called 'a cockney' despite telling people he was not from London and when he joined the local youth football training team I heard one of the guys saying 'We don't need his sort in this team, bloody southerner'.
    There was a lot of rudeness and animosity although now they know him that has stopped. But its definitely not a given that the southerners are the rudest.
    I am a bit concerned about that- like you, I'm an expat Northerner, but my OH is sort of from the Midlands but moved around a lot and has no accent to speak of, not even a Midlands one. I just hope that he doesn't meet with that sort of thing if we move North, as we hope to do eventually; it does worry me a bit. I'd be mortified if that happened. I was thinking of this today, as I was out and about here in the Midlands. I tried smiling at people I passed/met and got the frosty '!!!!!! off' Midland look in return even more times than usual. As I hadn't said anything in most cases, I assume it's not because I'm not local. 'Up north', I reckon I'd have got a smile back at least, accent or not.
  • couriervanman
    couriervanman Posts: 1,667 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Harrogate is very expensive and a bit 'snooty '

Full of snooty relocated shandy drinking southerners :D
  • phoebe1989seb
    phoebe1989seb Posts: 4,452 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 1 June 2019 at 1:14AM
    Options
    Albala wrote: »
    I am a bit concerned about that- like you, I'm an expat Northerner, but my OH is sort of from the Midlands but moved around a lot and has no accent to speak of, not even a Midlands one. I just hope that he doesn't meet with that sort of thing if we move North, as we hope to do eventually; it does worry me a bit. I'd be mortified if that happened. I was thinking of this today, as I was out and about here in the Midlands. I tried smiling at people I passed/met and got the frosty '!!!!!! off' Midland look in return even more times than usual. As I hadn't said anything in most cases, I assume it's not because I'm not local. 'Up north', I reckon I'd have got a smile back at least, accent or not.

I guess everyone's experiences are different, but we found people in the Midlands very friendly during our three years there (late 2014 to early 2018), although we couldn't abide the accent :o We lived between Bridgnorth and Wolves and compared to other parts of the country when we moved in, we were greeted with gifts of prosecco and new home cards as well as party invites (it was the week before Christmas). Had never experienced this anywhere else and we've moved about eight times to several different parts of the UK.

We're originally from Hampshire - I was born and brought up in Southsea while DH is from the outskirts of Southampton and moved to North Essex a few years back. In Southsea where we lived for twenty years our neighbours were very private - which suited us as we are too - and we never befriended any/were befriended by them, although this might in part be due to the type of neighbourhood. In a street of twenty houses, only five were lived in by single families, the rest were either divided into several flats or else were nurseries/care homes/language school. Our friends were all from outside of our immediate neighbourhood. However, when we moved to Essex we found the people rather intimidating - very 'in your face' so after a short while we couldn't wait to sell up and leave!

From Essex we moved back south - to the Wiltshire side of the Wilts/Dorset border. Our village was disappointingly lacking in a community feel, although we put that down to the fact the village straddled the A30. We also had some of the nosiest, most gossip-led neighbours there - what you hear about villages but hope isn't true ;)

We then sold that place and bought the Midlands house. For me the main issue with living there was the distance from the coast. Some great countryside though and some of the villages and market towns are great.

Last year we bought a cottage with a bit of land in Carmarthenshire. We absolutely love it here - although our only neighbours are not great (luckily we are far enough away and tbh, in fifteen months I've met him once and her never!) - the countryside is stunning, the beaches are fab and often empty and we've found everyone except those neighbours really welcoming!

Neither of us has an accent at all but one elderly Welsh lady DH was chatting to said she couldn't understand his accent - it's all relative I guess! We are attempting to learn the language but don't think we'll ever be fluent.

We couldn't afford to buy back our old house in Southsea now (around £800-900k :eek:).....not that we'd want to as traffic was a nightmare. It was a great location when DS was growing up though.....
    Mortgage-free for fourteen years!

Over £40,000 mis-sold PPI reclaimed
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    edited 1 June 2019 at 6:25AM
    Options
    lisyloo wrote: »
    I am sure you are quite right Dave, however there a few issues with rural living.

In the south west rural areas are expensive and often more expensive than suburban area (white van land). For example Near Bristol the rural areas contain race horses and prince Charles polo ponies.

I think you are right but commuting that people do twice a day is often an overriding criteria. Can’t wait for retirment.

While it's true that some rural areas are expensive, there's a big difference between, say, somewhere like Wellow on the outskirts of Bath, or Chew Stoke on the outskirts of Bristol and one of the ex-mining villages, like Paulton (see, I know my geography!)

And while we are more out in the sticks here, there's a railway that bisects this part of Devon, so I'd have a choice of a train or a bus every hour to Exeter/Barnstaple if I wanted it. I can also reach my doctor/dentist in 5 minutes from here, but B&Q or a normal sized Sainsburys is a 42mile round trip!

What you get in the country is often an anomalous mixture when it comes to convenience. Another example would be schools here, which are excellent, but there's no way children can safely walk to them, in winter particularly, so everyone pays or ferries their kids. In town, my children would walk a greater distance than they'd need to here to go to their chosen school.

Yes, there are problems, some of which can be overcome by knowing the areas really well before buying. I'd say 'near Bristol' is vastly different from here though; they're not comparable, though we do have horses, like Charlie Watts' wife's Arabian stud, which had 56 of them last time I looked. Now there's someone with taste!
  • lookstraightahead
    Options
    I moved from the north midlands ish to surrey in the 90's as a graduate. I was turned down for jobs in London to start with as "my accent wouldn't fit" (was actually told this can you imagine that now!). I don't like the South (personal choice). I slowly started moving more north again (firstly north London) then out of the south altogether when I could afford it. I don't like the layout of the countryside (not sure why). I suppose it doesn't feel rugged enough.

My personal experience is that I spent too much, went out too much and had too much stuff. I made some good international friends but you can do that anywhere.

It's not far, it's the same country. But it is personal preference.
  • Albala
    Albala Posts: 310 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I guess everyone's experiences are different, but we found people in the Midlands very friendly during our three years there (late 2014 to early 2018), although we couldn't abide the accent :o
    My trip out yesterday was in Stafford, and people from other places locally tell me they think that think Staffordians are 'stuck up'.:D But to be fair, generally it's just that they are more reticent. If you make the first move, they are pretty much the same as anywhere else. The main differences I have found are largely superficial. But they can still get you down a bit if you're used to a more openly friendly culture.
  • Skiddaw1
    Skiddaw1 Posts: 2,039 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Rightmove link please :rotfl:

I'd be far too scared!! ;)
  • Skiddaw1
    Skiddaw1 Posts: 2,039 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Finchampstead here moving to South Petherton in Somerset. We couldn't afford to live where we are now (moved here 20 years ago) if we were buying today.

I think the issue anyone from the SE may face when relocating anywhere is the "incomer" sneer, especially as we are likely to have done pretty well out of property compared to the rest of the country. Fortunately my wife's family are from South Petherton so we are returning to her "roots" as it were.....

I think we're lucky in that Mr S is an ex-pat Northerner so has (more or less) the correct accent.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure