PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Has anyone relocated from the South East to North of England?

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    K80_Black wrote: »
    I moved from London to York and absolutely hated it. I was too far from my friends and family, had nothing in common with anyone I worked with and found that almost everyone was on drugs as there was little else to do...

What a really odd comment.

So despite the theatres and cinemas in York. The many bars, pubs and restaurants, the places of historical interest and museums, many clubs and societies (from philosophical, debating, archaeological, board game clubs, craft clubs, reading groups etc), opportunities to learn (the Unis offer many short courses and talks), the parks and gardens, local wildlife nearby, opportunity for walking and cycling, only a hours drive to the seaside, the moors, or the Dales then there really is nothing to do in York at all. :cool:

I think the above post gives a good idea that you really need to want to move for the right reasons, or you could end up hating wherever you move to.
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thank you all!

We have a 5 year old son who is in Reception, so wouldn't want to wait years before making a decision

Currently live in a 3 bed semi, if I'm moving I want a 3-4 bed detached with all the mod cons!

My parents and mother in law still live in Berkshire, although not the same town as we do they're about 12 miles away.
    Possibly when my Dad is no longer here my Mum may move in with us

My Brother moved to Sutton Coldfield last year

Rest of my family live further south in Sussex

Would like a nice area (don't we all) with good schools
    Somewhere good for young families, Not in the middle of nowhere, as my Son is in primary school don't want a long commute
    Not coastal

My husband mentioned Wrea Green near Preston but not actually been there yet!

Wrea green is closer to Blackpool than Preston. It also neighbours Kirkham and Wesham. Frankly you couldn't pay me to live there.

If you visit it on a Wednesday afternoon, around 1pm, you'll agree with me....

If you want good schools you're looking at city locations. Not to trumpet Lancaster again, but there's excellent primary schools and secondary schools. It's got good transport links and is generally a nice place.

Take a look at medium sized towns and cities in the surrounding areas
  • knightstyle
    knightstyle Posts: 7,002 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    One thing to be aware of is that house prices up here have not increased for the last 10 years or more. So that is fine if you never intend going South again but if like us you have close friends and family down South and want to retire down there you may have a problem.
    Having said that then move sooner rather than later and, like us enjoy the peace, lack of traffic and great communities. We are North Lincs, on the border with Notts.
  • BrownTrout
    BrownTrout Posts: 2,298 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You get a much better pint in t'north
  • OldMusicGuy
    OldMusicGuy Posts: 1,761 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    BrownTrout wrote: »
    Something I have never found in my many years. Too much fizzy muck up there. :p
  • Owain_Moneysaver
    Owain_Moneysaver Posts: 11,360 Forumite
    Options
    K80_Black wrote: »
    I moved from London to York and absolutely hated it. I was too far from my friends and family,

It's only 1h51 mins to King's Cross from York by fast train.

That's only 11 minutes longer than Chesham to Epping by tube.

Admittedly it costs a bit more though.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • Owain_Moneysaver
    Owain_Moneysaver Posts: 11,360 Forumite
    Options
    BrownTrout wrote: »

And they don't look at you funny when you take your ferret on the bus.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • chelseablue
    chelseablue Posts: 3,303 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I’ve heard good things about Harrogate?
  • K80_Black
    K80_Black Posts: 466 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    What a really odd comment.

So despite the theatres and cinemas in York. The many bars, pubs and restaurants, the places of historical interest and museums, many clubs and societies (from philosophical, debating, archaeological, board game clubs, craft clubs, reading groups etc), opportunities to learn (the Unis offer many short courses and talks), the parks and gardens, local wildlife nearby, opportunity for walking and cycling, only a hours drive to the seaside, the moors, or the Dales then there really is nothing to do in York at all. :cool:

I think the above post gives a good idea that you really need to want to move for the right reasons, or you could end up hating wherever you move to.

There's one bar or club open when a chef finishes work in the evening, and they only cater to students. All the people I worked with just went to someone's house and took drugs. Maybe it's a chef thing - though that certainly didn't happen when I worked in other cities.

Just giving my experience - you can't possibly say that York has as much to see and do as London. Maybe my friends there had varied interests because places were actually open at the end of a dinner service.
  • Grumpelstiltskin
    Grumpelstiltskin Posts: 4,292 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I’ve heard good things about Harrogate?

Harrogate is very expensive and a bit 'snooty '
    If you go down to the woods today you better not go alone.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure