Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • james smitha
    • By james smitha 17th May 19, 7:54 AM
    • 233Posts
    • 40Thanks
    james smitha
    Naked adsl broadband
    • 17th May 19, 7:54 AM
    Naked adsl broadband 17th May 19 at 7:54 AM
    High 5 All,

Sky have secretly decided to block my non-Sky modem router.
    I have a perfectly good phone service from a nobody.
    Origin, I believe used to offer just broadband if that is what you wanted, but not any more.
    Dose any one else offer naked ADSL or not cable broadband for close to 7 pcm?

Many thanks
Page 1
    • Neil Jones
    • By Neil Jones 17th May 19, 8:28 AM
    • 2,098 Posts
    • 1,467 Thanks
    Neil Jones
    • 17th May 19, 8:28 AM
    • 17th May 19, 8:28 AM
    We don't do naked DSL in this country as a rule so you either have a cable line (Virgin) or you have a phone provider and internet package from BT/Plus/TalkTalk/Sky or whoever.

You could split it up if you really wanted to, internet with somebody and a phone line with somebody else but realistically its cheaper to get them together and most providers insist on this now anyway.

Your post seems to suggest you're with Sky for your internet and somebody else for phone. So you don't have naked ADSL, that's defined as a line with no telephony provision on it.
    • james smitha
    • By james smitha 17th May 19, 10:16 AM
    • 233 Posts
    • 40 Thanks
    james smitha
    • 17th May 19, 10:16 AM
    • 17th May 19, 10:16 AM
    Neil, Humblest appolagies for my bad wording. What you describe is indeed is what I do. Although not mentioned earlier, I have asked a couple of friends if they have a spare adsl modem to prove that Sky have blocked my Asus ac68 recently, it has up untill Thursday worked perfectly well. Even now it dose not appear faulty. The challenge is a failed server connection
    • Chino
    • By Chino 17th May 19, 11:09 AM
    • 892 Posts
    • 572 Thanks
    Chino
    • 17th May 19, 11:09 AM
    • 17th May 19, 11:09 AM
    it has up untill Thursday worked perfectly well. Even now it dose not appear faulty. The challenge is a failed server connection
    Originally posted by james smitha
    Have you tried using a Sky Hub to prove that your internet connection is otherwise working?
    Last edited by Chino; 17-05-2019 at 11:14 AM.
    • james smitha
    • By james smitha 17th May 19, 1:14 PM
    • 233 Posts
    • 40 Thanks
    james smitha
    • 17th May 19, 1:14 PM
    • 17th May 19, 1:14 PM
    High 5 Chino, Yes I have a black Sky ADSL modem-router for such emergency occasions. Thankfully it stepped up to the mark successfully. I have a loan Netgear modem-router to try out in slightly less than a week's time, we shall see what happens
    • AndyPK
    • By AndyPK 17th May 19, 4:04 PM
    • 3,791 Posts
    • 1,113 Thanks
    AndyPK
    • 17th May 19, 4:04 PM
    • 17th May 19, 4:04 PM
    So, why don't you use the sky one normally?

Vodofone were doing fibre only for about 21/month a while ago
    • james smitha
    • By james smitha 17th May 19, 6:07 PM
    • 233 Posts
    • 40 Thanks
    james smitha
    • 17th May 19, 6:07 PM
    • 17th May 19, 6:07 PM
    AndyPK because my Asus AC-68 appeared visably quicker.
    • nickcc
    • By nickcc 17th May 19, 6:34 PM
    • 2,006 Posts
    • 875 Thanks
    nickcc
    • 17th May 19, 6:34 PM
    • 17th May 19, 6:34 PM
    Now tv doing FTC broadband plus anytime calls for 25 per month, just switching from EE. Swore I'd never use sky again but price too good to miss.
    • james smitha
    • By james smitha 17th May 19, 6:37 PM
    • 233 Posts
    • 40 Thanks
    james smitha
    • 17th May 19, 6:37 PM
    • 17th May 19, 6:37 PM
    nickcc there is nothing wrong with the phone privider that I have
    • brewerdave
    • By brewerdave 18th May 19, 7:37 AM
    • 5,567 Posts
    • 2,477 Thanks
    brewerdave
    AndyPK because my Asus AC-68 appeared visably quicker.

I'm led to believe that Sky don't give out the access password for internet access on their modem ,so how did you manage with a third party router/modem? If you have extracted the password somehow, is it possible that Sky have changed it??
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 18th May 19, 7:57 AM
    • 4,016 Posts
    • 2,292 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    I'm led to believe that Sky don't give out the access password for internet access on their modem ,so how did you manage with a third party router/modem? If you have extracted the password somehow, is it possible that Sky have changed it??
    Originally posted by brewerdave
    Sky have indeed changed, you can enter a random @SKY dsl user name and random password on initial setup and use a compatible router. The TPLink VR900 seems to work out of the box going off searches.
    • james smitha
    • By james smitha 18th May 19, 8:02 AM
    • 233 Posts
    • 40 Thanks
    james smitha
    brewerdave there are a couple of ways of discovering Sky log in details. The easiest centers around the mac address, that I have been trying but with out success
    • james smitha
    • By james smitha 18th May 19, 8:06 AM
    • 233 Posts
    • 40 Thanks
    james smitha
    Colin_Maybe many thanks for the idea around the TPLink VR900, I shall check that out today as it looks like being an indoor type of day.
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 18th May 19, 8:10 AM
    • 4,016 Posts
    • 2,292 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    Colin_Maybe many thanks for the idea around the TPLink VR900, I shall check that out today as it looks like being an indoor type of day.
    I have heard of this before but just a quick Google brings up the likes of the following https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=95&t=1774071
    • james smitha
    • By james smitha 18th May 19, 8:58 AM
    • 233 Posts
    • 40 Thanks
    james smitha
    Colin_Maybe I've had a read of your link, looks good for fibre but not ADSL that I use for just me.
    • AndyPK
    • By AndyPK 18th May 19, 9:29 AM
    • 3,791 Posts
    • 1,113 Thanks
    AndyPK
    aren't they all compatible these days?

i'm using a sky asdl router on fibre and getting fibre speed
    • james smitha
    • By james smitha 18th May 19, 9:34 AM
    • 233 Posts
    • 40 Thanks
    james smitha
    AndyPK I don't doubt that the connection devices will work with fibe or ADSL for ease of manufacture and costs. What I meant earlier was that the link was aimed at Fibre. I may as a last resort investigate cheaper fibre and reluctantly give up ADSL, but not before Autumn/ Fall
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 18th May 19, 9:44 AM
    • 4,016 Posts
    • 2,292 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    Colin_Maybe I've had a read of your link, looks good for fibre but not ADSL that I use for just me.
    Yes, sorry. I only realised after the fact that ADSL MAY be different. There does seem to be some confusion around that point.

As a side note for anyone using NowTV fibre rather than Sky it works the same but you have to replace @skydsl with @nowtv in the user name field.

So for NowTV fibre:-

In the username field, enter abcdefgh@nowtv
    In the password field, enter 1234567890abcdef
    • AndyPK
    • By AndyPK 18th May 19, 10:58 AM
    • 3,791 Posts
    • 1,113 Thanks
    AndyPK
    but we can interchange sky and now routers on fibre without changing anything?

OP - I would stick to ASDL.
    Just been looking at fibre prices. On the 2nd year with a calls package they appear to cost 44/month ! (so 36 without calls)
    • james smitha
    • By james smitha 18th May 19, 11:05 AM
    • 233 Posts
    • 40 Thanks
    james smitha
    Andypk that is royally expensive. 36 just for Fibre, might you be thee Sultan of Brunai?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,526Posts Today

5,726Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Mini MSE is on half term next week, so I'm excited to be taking the week off to be daddy. As normal I'm signing of? https://t.co/G3366shWh1

• I once blurted out on @gmb "Theresa May hasn't been given a poisoned chalice - she's been given a poisoned chalice? https://t.co/onfRbY3XVg

• It'd be fascinating to know how history will judge Theresa May's premiership. Currently, it is hard to see it as a? https://t.co/eH77G0O9LA

• Follow Martin