Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Malman
    • By Malman 16th Apr 19, 6:17 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Malman
    0 WOW
    Insurance on hire car
    • 16th Apr 19, 6:17 PM
    0 WOW
    Insurance on hire car 16th Apr 19 at 6:17 PM
    Hi,

My work have hired me a company car that is insured in the UK on the fleet insurance. I'm taking the car to france for a long weekend and have everything in place apart from insurance which won't be covered by the fleet insurance while in france. Nearly every quote I've looked at does not cover hire/rental cars or the few that do only offer third party.

There are lots of companies offering excess insurance for hire cars but I need full cover for a week in france. Has anyone experienced this before or does anyone know of insurers that covered hired vehicles?
Page 1
    • Grey Critic
    • By Grey Critic 16th Apr 19, 7:49 PM
    • 123 Posts
    • 77 Thanks
    Grey Critic
    • 16th Apr 19, 7:49 PM
    • 16th Apr 19, 7:49 PM
    Is it a HIRE car or a LEASE car. Big difference. Best thing you can do is to speak with an insurance broker. They should be able to sort it out for you.
    • NoodleDoodleMan
    • By NoodleDoodleMan 21st Apr 19, 6:51 PM
    • 888 Posts
    • 327 Thanks
    NoodleDoodleMan
    • 21st Apr 19, 6:51 PM
    • 21st Apr 19, 6:51 PM
    Apolgies if this seems obvious, but I assume your employer has agreed to the car being taken outside the UK for personal use ?

If not..........................

That apart, this outfit may be worth looking at - and this is not a recommendation.

https://www.insurance4carhire.com/?refID=2120&subRefID=0&curID=GBP&langID=1&mkwid=sT e1RdbNz_dc&crid=335563950153&mp_kw=www%20insurance 4carhire%20com&mp_mt=e&plc=&slid=&ds_rl=1250472&gc lid=CjwKCAjwqfDlBRBDEiwAigXUaLPEPsl-g6QwG61bMmW_10_Amc9jkeMyOHxYnQtrCZv6kTsvI55XhxoCEy IQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
    Last edited by NoodleDoodleMan; 21-04-2019 at 6:54 PM.
    • dArla
    • By dArla 22nd Apr 19, 12:28 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    dArla
    • 22nd Apr 19, 12:28 PM
    • 22nd Apr 19, 12:28 PM
    Allainz offers rental car insurance, but I'm not sure whether it covers company cars. Anyways, you can always give them a call
    • richardw
    • By richardw 22nd Apr 19, 12:44 PM
    • 18,943 Posts
    • 7,991 Thanks
    richardw
    • 22nd Apr 19, 12:44 PM
    • 22nd Apr 19, 12:44 PM
    If the car is provided to your company by a fleet car supplier and not owned by your company, there may be something in the supply agreement about cars being taken out of the UK.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,771Posts Today

7,266Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin