No fault accident claim queries ...

Options

Comments

• Takmon
    Takmon Posts: 1,738 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Just_Focus wrote: »
    That's helpful advice. The vehicle I am being given as a rental is an A4 Avant the same as my damaged vehicle so it's not over-specced. I obviously won't be keeping it any longer that in takes for the repairs to be carried out. I don't use the vehicle for commuting, it's for SDP and, as I said above, I am going on holiday in the car on Wednesday for Easter so need a replacement vehicle.

How much is the rental fee per day? These companies often charge an extortionate fee for credit hire which is many times more than the cost of renting a car yourself. If the fee is too high the insurance company could challenge it.

The Claims Company may also delay repairs to your vehicle knowing they are racking up a nice profit.

You could have paid to hire a car yourself and then got reimbursed when the insurance company settle the claim.
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options

You're right. Unless the commenters above are correct that I should have been claiming off the learner rather than the car roller.

Car A - Mine. Insured by Admiral.
    Car B - Learner vehicle. Collided with mine. Insured by A.N. Other insurer.
    Car C - Rolled over vehicle. At fault according to police. Insured by Admiral.

You should be claiming off B, so you need to find out who their insurance company are.

Engaging the CMC (AMC) yourself was a Bad Idea ™ ®
  • alfie1950
    alfie1950 Posts: 166 Forumite
    Options
    As it stands your car will be with an Audi dealer bodyshop tomorrow morning but not all dealer bodyshop's are manufacturer accreditted so the dealer may not be allocated the work.
    It may then have to be moved to an Audi accreditted repairer.
    People usually get tunnel vision about getting a replacement car and it clouds normal thinking .
  • gzoom
    gzoom Posts: 530 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    I know that CMCs are leeches and that credit hire is the reason premiums are so horrendously high (along with whiplash claims) but honestly why should I have to mess around with a completely substandard service from my insurer when I've done nothing wrong at all? I always thought I'd be someone who refuses to use CMCs (hence why I refused them on the day of the accident) but frankly I can see why people do now.

There really are some ridiculously comments on here about CMC/AMCs.

Like you I never thought I would use one, until I had my non-fault crash.

My own insurance company (Direct Line) sent me a Seat Leon as a 'like for like' replacement car when I my own car was a 6 seater electric SUV.

They then sent my car to a local garage who called me to ask how to open the door as they didn't have a clue where to start on how to assess the car, and than tried to get me to pay my excess until the claim was settled. The final straw was when third party claimed I was at fault despite having dash cam evidence, and my own insurance company just in effect shrugged their shoulders.

Involving an independent accident management company was the best thing I did.

Within in 24hrs I had a exact 'like for like' car delivered to my work address, and they sorted out the previous loan car to be picked up. They got my car transferred to a garage who knew what they were doing, and when the third party insurance company started sending threatening letters they contacted them directly to get them to stop. They even helped to negotiate a prompt and satisfactory settlement with my own insurance company.

Ignore all the negative comments about CMC/AMC, as you have said until your face with dealing with an incompetent insurance company you don't realise the valuable service these parties provide.

I didn't asked to be rammed off the road by an idiot driver, and I suspect you also didn't expect your car to be damaged the week before Easter. The whole thing is stressful enough already, so let some else deal with the stress.

Hope your Easter plans can continue as planned.
  • gzoom
    edited 15 April 2019 at 7:02PM
    Options
    Oh I should add the Third party insurance company on question was Admiral.

Their behaviour bordered on been illegal. I got letter from them using very carefully phased words to suggest they would NOT pay a single penny out for the entire claim if I didn't accept their first offer. Legally the letter used no firm words that would considered legally binding, but the over message was clear - It was essentially a threat but worded so if challenged in court they can say that wasn't the message.

They than called me and tried to get me to 'trip up' by asking me using the specific phrase 'But you don't really need a car every day do you as your wife has a car?'. They were clearly trying to get me to imply I wasn't 'minimising' my costs as the law states.

My experience with my non-fault claim has shown me just how corked the whole insurance industry is, CMC/AMCs are least of the problems. Companies like Admiral really should be banned, they have little interest in helping their customers or dealing with claims, its all about £££ and they will use very trick in the book.
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 14,005 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    An insurance company focusing on profits? I'm shocked.
  • gzoom
    edited 16 April 2019 at 6:07AM
    Options
    An insurance company focusing on profits? I'm shocked.

Thats why as consumers we NEED accident management companies, and I wouldn't hesitate to use another one if needed.
  • alfie1950
    alfie1950 Posts: 166 Forumite
    Options
    Many people have good experiences with AMC's but it is a bit of a generalisation from your one experience to extol their virtues .
    I deal with insurance companies , bodyshop's and AMC's and there as many bad experiences as good.
    As I said earlier with many drivers the main issue is the rush to get a replacement car at all costs and that is the AMC's main aim , to get you in to hire as soon as possible , once your in hire costs are clicking up , many drivers later change their minds about using the AMC , cancel the claim through them and are then stuck with the costs to date.
    I'm glad you had a good experience but believe me it's not all a bed of roses.
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 14,005 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    gzoom wrote: »
    Thats why as consumers we NEED accident management companies, and I wouldn't hesitate to use another one if needed.
    There's a flaw in your logic there.
  • caprikid1
    caprikid1 Posts: 2,135 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    GZoom it sounds like you have had a similar experience as I had with Direct Line.

Can you confirm the accident management company you used.

Thanks
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport