No fault accident claim queries ...

Options

Comments

• Just_Focus
    Just_Focus Posts: 20 Forumite
    Options
    alfie1950 wrote: »
    Just remember that if the accident management company can't recover costs off the 'at fault' party they will come back to you for 'unisured losses' .
    Be very careful about getting involved with a car hire company.
    It would be much better to get a courtesy car off the bodyshop but for that you would have to wait until the actual repairs were commencing.

Hi. I'm aware of this but given that there is absolutely no doubt about liability, and both the other vehicles have been confirmed as insured by the police I don't see a risk of the CMS being unable to recover their costs.
  • alfie1950
    alfie1950 Posts: 166 Forumite
    Options
    I hope your right !!
  • Just_Focus
    Options
    AdrianC wrote: »
    Perhaps bear that in mind when you buy insurance next time, rather than just going with the lowest premium? Especially if it would mean you're going with the Ryanair of insurers...

I think that's a little harsh. Firstly, it wasn't the cheapest. And secondly I didn't know that Admiral is considered the 'Ryanair of insurers'. Also, unfortunately given that I live in London I do need to take cost in to account as the charges are huge (even though I have 13 years no claims bonus).
  • Just_Focus
    Options
    I hope your right !!

Perhaps you could tell me what risks you see?
  • alfie1950
    Options
    AMC's may appear to be efficient but they are only quick to get you in hire because they get a 'kickback' off the hire companies. I can't point to anything specific but from experience there are usually a lot of complaints about them from customers.
  • Just_Focus
    Options
    AMC's may appear to be efficient but they are only quick to get you in hire because they get a 'kickback' off the hire companies. I can't point to anything specific but from experience there are usually a lot of complaints about them from customers.

Thanks for the reply. Sorry I meant given the scenario of my accident i.e. two other potentially liable drivers who are both insured, I don't see what risk there would be that the CMC couldn't recover my costs from one or both of them. It's not like I'm renting a Ferrari, I'm just being given the same car as my own until the repairs are carried out which seems entirely reasonable to me.
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 14,034 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Just_Focus wrote: »
    Perhaps you could tell me what risks you see?
    As mentioned, there are numerous threads on here caught out in this situation. One pitfall is that you have a duty to minimise your losses. Having an over-specced hire car or having the hire car for longer than is absolutely necessary can come back to bite. e.g. would it be cheaper to use public transport or taxis for a week's commute rather than use a hire car? If things get contentious, that's when insurance companies start to play hardball and try to limit their payout.
  • Just_Focus
    Options
    As mentioned, there are numerous threads on here caught out in this situation. One pitfall is that you have a duty to minimise your losses. Having an over-specced hire car or having the hire car for longer than is absolutely necessary can come back to bite. e.g. would it be cheaper to use public transport or taxis for a week's commute rather than use a hire car? If things get contentious, that's when insurance companies start to play hardball and try to limit their payout.

That's helpful advice. The vehicle I am being given as a rental is an A4 Avant the same as my damaged vehicle so it's not over-specced. I obviously won't be keeping it any longer that in takes for the repairs to be carried out. I don't use the vehicle for commuting, it's for SDP and, as I said above, I am going on holiday in the car on Wednesday for Easter so need a replacement vehicle.
  • alfie1950
    Options
    Normal procedure would be estimate done within 2 working days.
    Sent off to insurer...authorised and allocated within another couple of days.
    Parts order one allocated.
    Repair starts within 5-10 days.
    Being so eager to get a replacement cars means you can end up stuck using the AMC.
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 14,034 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Just_Focus wrote: »
    That's helpful advice. The vehicle I am being given as a rental is an A4 Avant the same as my damaged vehicle so it's not over-specced. I obviously won't be keeping it any longer that in takes for the repairs to be carried out. I don't use the vehicle for commuting, it's for SDP and, as I said above, I am going on holiday in the car on Wednesday for Easter so need a replacement vehicle.
    Just be careful. It may be a match for your current vehicle but that is a classic pitfall seen on here when people insist on a like-for-like hire car. For example, I drive a large family car but if it were off the road for a week or two, could I make a Fiesta or Yaris work for me? Yes. The difference in hire costs between a Mondeo and a Fiesta can be sizeable and the insurer may only pay costs for the latter, leaving me to pick up the difference.

If you're confident you have the justification for the spec of car for the duration you need it, and can show that if needs be, you'll be fine. One final point, make sure you fully understand the insurance cover on the hire car and any excesses that apply. A lot of people make assumptions there, too.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure