Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • bunnie1234
    • By bunnie1234 11th Apr 19, 3:26 PM
    • 36Posts
    • 2Thanks
    bunnie1234
    Falsely Accused of Theft
    • 11th Apr 19, 3:26 PM
    Falsely Accused of Theft 11th Apr 19 at 3:26 PM
    My friend and I were accused of theft and banned from a large supermarket near our homes. The security guard yelled at us while the assistant manager watched him and reiterated the same. We were publicly humiliated. This is what we did. We each got a pie with a reduced label on it and put them in our trolleys. We continued shopping. We saw a store employee giving items final markdowns. About 10 people were handing her things from their trolleys to get marked down. We did the same. My friend handed both pies to the store assistant who duly marked them down. Shortly afterwards we went to the checkouts and paid for them. Subsequently, we were called over by the security guard and assistant manager. The guard yelled that we had the pies in our trolleys for some time before getting final markdowns. He said if we had not done this there was a chance someone might have purchased them at the higher price. He said this meant it was theft and we were banned. They did not accuse us of not paying for them nor did they look at our receipts or the items. We are regular shoppers who get all our groceries in that store and sometimes mark down items. We know lots of staff and customers. Some staff came outside and expressed shock. Our repuations are tarnished. I wrote to head office explaining in detail what happened and asked for an apology and for the ban to be lifted. No response. We are more concerned about our repuations than anything. Their definition of theft is unacceptable and surely unlawful. If they don't want shoppers to put things in their trolleys and get them marked down they should not allow staff to mark down such items. Around 10 or more people did the same but were not humiliated or banned. Any advice would be much appreciated.
Page 7
    • owen_money
    • By owen_money 16th Apr 19, 5:16 PM
    • 675 Posts
    • 780 Thanks
    owen_money
    Have we established the type of pie it was? Savour or sweet? Individual or family size?

I favour a steak and kidney individual pie personally, puff pasty ideally
    One man's folly is another man's wife. Helen Roland (1876 - 1950)
    • Aylesbury Duck
    • By Aylesbury Duck 16th Apr 19, 5:24 PM
    • 3,459 Posts
    • 4,670 Thanks
    Aylesbury Duck
    I favour a steak and kidney individual pie personally, puff pasty ideally
    Originally posted by owen_money
    You're getting your pies and pasties mixed up there....
    • owen_money
    • By owen_money 16th Apr 19, 6:21 PM
    • 675 Posts
    • 780 Thanks
    owen_money
    You're getting your pies and pasties mixed up there....
    Originally posted by Aylesbury Duck
    In what way? Oh I see 'puff pasty' sorry I cant apologies enough for my abysmal spelling

You're not going to shout at me and call me a thief? I dont think I could face the forum again, everyone would look at me.
    • Aylesbury Duck
    • By Aylesbury Duck 16th Apr 19, 7:48 PM
    • 3,459 Posts
    • 4,670 Thanks
    Aylesbury Duck
    In what way? Oh I see 'puff pasty' sorry I cant apologies enough for my abysmal spelling

You're not going to shout at me and call me a thief? I dont think I could face the forum again, everyone would look at me.
    Originally posted by owen_money
    Hang around until the forum closes and I'll reduce the accusation.
    • owen_money
    • By owen_money 17th Apr 19, 8:53 AM
    • 675 Posts
    • 780 Thanks
    owen_money
    Hang around until the forum closes and I'll reduce the accusation.
    Originally posted by Aylesbury Duck
    I want a full apology and a reduced cost pie along the lines of a steak and kidney
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,833Posts Today

7,485Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin