Flight ticket refund

Options
Just wondered if anyone could give me some more information (on the limited info I have available). A friend booked a flight with British Airways for £1,670. She had to cancel the flight (not sure why at this stage). She tried to get a refund for the flight but has now been told that it was a non-refundable flight however she is adamant that the website or the phone app did not say anything about it being non-refundable when she booked.

Anyone any ideas where to go from here?

Thanks

Comments

• Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,545 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    where did she book the flight? what was the route? what is the booking class?
    If she booked on the BA website, the fare rules are available to view before booking.
    If she booked with a third party you often have to hunt around a bit more but the fare rules will be available.
    If you state the route and class, it should be possible to work out what the fully refundable ticket price would be.
  • Vizla
    Vizla Posts: 8 Forumite
    Options
    Sorry I don't understand what you mean by:

If you state the route and class, it should be possible to work out what the fully refundable ticket price would be.
  • jpsartre
    jpsartre Posts: 4,085 Forumite
    Options
    Route is the departure and arrival airport (e.g. London to Edinburgh). Class of travel is economy, business class, etc. As Caz says, the ticket terms are displayed during the booking process with BA although they can be harder to find after the fact. If your friend booked the cheapest ticket available it is unlikely to have been refundable.
  • ttoli
    ttoli Posts: 825 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Vizla wrote: »
    J however she is adamant that the website or the phone app did not say anything about it being non-refundable when she booked.

Thanks
    Did it say that it was refundable ?
  • jackieblack
    jackieblack Posts: 10,317 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    If a) she has taken out travel insurance and b) the reason for cancelling is covered by the insurance, then making a claim on this would probably be her best recourse.
    However, the fact that you're asking here suggests that either a) she didn't or b) it isn't.
    :think:
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    MFW #4 OPs (offset): 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07,
    2021 £1250.00, 2022 £1500.00, 2023 £1500
    Target for 2024 (offset) = £1200, YTD £460
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
  • Caz3121
    Options
    If she booked direct on the BA site they will show the lowest price fare in each class unless you specifically check the box initially to say you want a flexible ticket.
    When the booking is priced up there are links below to the fare conditions
    eg
    scenario 1 - SAN-LHR dates in May - WT+ search on website $2,474
    books outbound in E, return in T
    rules - cancellations any time ticket is non-refundable. Note - fare component is non-refundable

scenario 2 - SAN-LHR dates in May - WT+ , flexible ticket search on website $6,173
    books both out and back in W (the most expensive of the 3 x WT+ fare codes)
    rules - If you cancel a refund is permitted, subject to recalculation of the fare for any journey flown. There are no cancellation fees.

she may not have been considering the need to cancel at the point so was not searching for a refundable ticket and bought what was fine for the flights without reading the fare rules. (they are there)

So now she has a non-refundable ticket and a need to cancel and lose the minimum
    First port of call would be travel insurance to check it covers reason for cancellation.
    has she already cancelled the ticket? if so, she will get the refundable taxes back and either the insurance sort the rest or the money is lost.
    If she has not cancelled the ticket yet, don't, hold off for the tiny chance that the airline makes a schedule change that allows ticket to be cancelled for full refund...if that doesn't happen then it is back to taxes only
  • Vizla
    Options
    So I have more information:

Flight was cancelled as to arrangements changing.
    Flights booked through BA direct
    The route was London to Heathrow on 24th August BA1327 Club Europe 10.25 - landing 11.45 then Heathrow to Toronto Canada 17.00 -19.50 Canada timezone! - Club World Return Journey to England from Toronto 18:30 landing Heathrow 6.40am! Club World Heathrow to Newcastle Sept 9th BA1326 9:55AM Landing at 11.10AM Club Europe!
    Paid by Credit Card through Paypal
    Total cost £1926.71,
    Cancelled flight believing would get refund!
    After cancelling was informed that it was Non Refundable, which wasn’t made clear at the time of booking!
    The only refund has had is for seats booked totalling £448.71!

I think you may be right though that the small print was missed and they aren't entitled to a refund

Thanks for the help
  • Caz3121
    Options
    A refundable ticket for that routing is an eye-watering £8,975!!!
  • Vizla
    Options
    Shes sent me a copy of the payment information.

Says endorsements: Pax nonrefundable restrictions apply - bg:ba

I assume this means - no money back
  • Westin
    Westin Posts: 5,942 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Vizla wrote: »
    Shes sent me a copy of the payment information.

Says endorsements: Pax nonrefundable restrictions apply - bg:ba

I assume this means - no money back

Well it means it is non-refundable so apart possibly a claim for APD, there is no refund/no money back.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure