Tesco Car insurance Scam

Options
justinormerod
justinormerod Posts: 18 Forumite
edited 8 February 2019 at 5:12PM in Motoring
Purchased car insurance from Tesco on the 8th of Jan 2019.

I received an email asking me to log in to my online account with Tesco to upload proof of my 8 years no claims. I sent them my confirmation from my last insurance policy which had ended on the 20th of November 2018

Tesco sent me a letter saying they had not received acceptable proof of no claims discount.

I called Tesco to ask why they could not find it acceptable. They explained that because my car had been uninsured for more than 30 days they was not able to recognise the 8 years no claims discount!

Tesco said they would have to work out a new price with zero no claims and when they tried that the computer said they could not insure me with zero no claims. Tesco said they had no option but to cancel my insurance.

This now means that I'm leaving Tesco after 1 month with zero no claims to take to my next insurer and a record of cancelled insurance registered against my name. you can imagine what effect this has on my insurance premium moving forward!

Now I have asked Tesco to confirm in writing the exact reason that they found my proof of no claims unacceptable and they have said they are not willing to confirm that information in writing. They said they have told me on the phone and all calls are recorded and suggested that I can request a copy of the call to gain evidence of them explaining why they found my proof of no claims unacceptable. Crazy I know.

Tesco have confirmed to me that when a person buys their insurance they do not ask on the new insurance quote form any questions to determine if the car has been uninsured for longer than 30 days. They have also confirmed to me that it is not in their written terms and conditions that they can find the proof of no claims unacceptable if the car was uninsured for more than 30 day. Tesco have told me it is a policy of their underwriters but not a written policy in the terms and conditions.

So during buying process and the 7 days cooling of period there was no way for me to know of this unwritten policy and now I have lost my no claims and been blacklisted as a person that has had insurance cancelled.

Feeling angry and mistreated!

Comments

• justinormerod
    Options
    Here is a recording of my last call with Tesco http s://emediahosting .co.uk/wp-content/uploads/Recording-of-phone-call-with-Donna-at-Te sco-complaints-on-the-6th-of-February .mp3
  • stator
    stator Posts: 7,441 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    There are plenty of insurers who will accept your NCB, so you don't need to start again from zero. Most insurers accept NCB as long as it was within the last 2 years (sometimes 3 years) and the NCB hasn't been used on another policy.

I'm not sure where you will stand with the cancellation. It is worth making a complain to Tesco, in writing and then escalating it to the ombudsman to see if you can get the 'cancel' cancelled.
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
  • Nearlyold
    Nearlyold Posts: 2,290 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 8 February 2019 at 5:01PM
    Options
    According to their Website Tesco accept proof of NCD up to 2 years old, so unless you already have another car insured with a policy elsewhere that you transferred the same NCD to it's not clear what the issue is?

Is the "can't insure the same car outside 30 days" a standard thing with them?
  • Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,215 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    In what way is this a scam - they've refused to take your money?
  • justinormerod
    Options
    stator wrote: »
    There are plenty of insurers who will accept your NCB, so you don't need to start again from zero. Most insurers accept NCB as long as it was within the last 2 years (sometimes 3 years) and the NCB hasn't been used on another policy.

I'm not sure where you will stand with the cancellation. It is worth making a complain to Tesco, in writing and then escalating it to the ombudsman to see if you can get the 'cancel' cancelled.

Thank you for your reply. The thing is the NCD has been on another policy. That being the 1 month that I was covered by Tesco. Tesco have said they cannot confirm to my new insurer that I have 8 years no claims because they didn't find my proof of no claims acceptable. Tesco say I'm leaving them with zero no claims to take to my next insurer.

I'm waiting for Tesco complaints department to investigate which can take up to 8 weeks and then I'll definitely go to the ombudsman regarding this.
  • justinormerod
    Options
    Nearlyold wrote: »
    According to their Website Tesco accept proof of NCD up to 2 years old, so unless you already have another car insured with a policy elsewhere that you transferred the same NCD to it's not clear what the issue is?

Is the "can't insure the same car outside 30 days" a standard thing with them?

It's because the car was uninsured and not sorn for more than 30 days that Tesco say they cannot accept my proof of no claims. I fully take on board that the car should have been registered sorn and I am at fault for not doing that. However nowhere on the Tesco website or in their terms and conditions do they say that this is a valid reason to find proof of no claims unacceptable. The legal status of my car during the gap period does not make the fact that I've had 8 years insured with no claims untrue. The two things are unrelated.
  • justinormerod
    Options
    Car_54 wrote: »
    In what way is this a scam - they've refused to take your money?

No they took £531 of my money when I purchased the insurance on their website.

1 month later they have cancelled my insurance, reduced the no claims discount that I can take to my next insurer from 8 years to zero years and they'll be logging with the MID database that I have had insurance cancelled which I'm obliged to declare to future insurers. They always ask this.
  • Sea_Shell
    Sea_Shell Posts: 9,399 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    How do Tescos know that you haven't been driving your vehicle around uninsured for the last 3 months? Maybe that's behind their decision?
    How's it going, AKA, Nutwatch? - 12 month spends to date = 2.31% of current retirement "pot" (as at end March 2024)
  • stator
    stator Posts: 7,441 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thank you for your reply. The thing is the NCD has been on another policy. That being the 1 month that I was covered by Tesco. Tesco have said they cannot confirm to my new insurer that I have 8 years no claims because they didn't find my proof of no claims acceptable. Tesco say I'm leaving them with zero no claims to take to my next insurer.

I'm waiting for Tesco complaints department to investigate which can take up to 8 weeks and then I'll definitely go to the ombudsman regarding this.
    That doesn't matter. If the Tesco insurance is cancelled you can use your old NCB on another policy.

I don't think your problem is related to the NCB.

What probably happened is that the person who reviews the NCB paperwork noticed your car was untaxed or un-SORNed or whatever and they cancelled the policy because of this.
    What you phoned up they gave you all sorts of nonsense information, as per usual.

Write a formal letter of complaint to Tesco. Written complaints tend to get answers from people who know what they are talking about.
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
  • justinormerod
    justinormerod Posts: 18 Forumite
    edited 8 February 2019 at 5:38PM
    Options
    Sea_Shell wrote: »
    How do Tescos know that you haven't been driving your vehicle around uninsured for the last 3 months? Maybe that's behind their decision?

What concern is it of Tescos if I had been doing that. I didn't do that and the car was parked up.

If they are concerned they should ask the question when you buy car insurance. Has your car been uninsured and not sorn for a period greater than 30 days.

Or they should state in the policy terms and conditions. "If you car has been uninsured and not sorn for more than 30 days we will not accept your proof of no claims discount"

The key thing here is that if it is an issue then Tescos need to say that it's an issue either during the process of buying the insurance or in their terms and conditions. Insurance companies are not allowed to just make up the rules as they go along and hold customers to account for unwritten and undisclosed policies.

Terms and conditions exist for a reason. To protect both the supplier and the consumer.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure