Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • lgardner
    • By lgardner 3rd Feb 19, 10:43 AM
    • 366Posts
    • 1,655Thanks
    lgardner
    Kids 1st phone
    • 3rd Feb 19, 10:43 AM
    Kids 1st phone 3rd Feb 19 at 10:43 AM
    Looking for a phone contract for my soon to be 10year old, looking at iphones a few series behind existing like an SE but cannot find any that are 12 mnth contracts all are for 24 months dnt mind payong upto £20 per month but didnt want to do it for 2 years

Wondering what best thing to do is, possibly buy a 2nd hand SR and then just get a sim only deal

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!
    Last edited by MSE Tine; 06-02-2019 at 8:01 AM.
Page 1
    • grumbler
    • By grumbler 3rd Feb 19, 10:50 AM
    • 51,689 Posts
    • 21,921 Thanks
    grumbler
    • 3rd Feb 19, 10:50 AM
    • 3rd Feb 19, 10:50 AM
    Why contract, not sim-free + PAYG or sim-only?

If you can't affording paying the full price, then you can't afford paying £20 p.m. for a toy for your son.
    All phone contracts are 24-36 months nowadays - networks like making money from people incapable of saving (36 are separate credit contracts, typically very expensive, for phones).

ETA: https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5952742 - just an example, it's obviously not "few series behind"
    Last edited by grumbler; 04-02-2019 at 6:27 PM.
    We are born naked, wet and hungry...Then things get worse.

.withdrawal, NOT withdrawel ..bear with me, NOT bare with me
    .definitely, NOT definately ......separate, NOT seperate
    should have, NOT should of
    .....guaranteed, NOT guarenteed
  • archived user
    • 3rd Feb 19, 11:36 AM
    • 3rd Feb 19, 11:36 AM
    Looking for a phone contract for my soon to be 10year old, looking at iphones a few series behind existing like an SE but cannot find any that are 12 mnth contracts all are for 24 months dnt mind payong upto £20 per month but didnt want to do it for 2 years

Wondering what best thing to do is, possibly buy a 2nd hand SR and then just get a sim only deal
    Originally posted by lgardner
    You did not say what network you want. This is important as if you can't signal in the places that you need it then a total waste

Also do you have any idea how your going control your son's data usage. What data package are you needing that gives you peace of mind.

tesco mobile use o2 network and you can either buy the phone outright for £270 and then get one of their sim only plans.

they do 12 month contracts but will probably cost u way more than buying the phone outright.
    • gardner1
    • By gardner1 3rd Feb 19, 11:43 AM
    • 2,984 Posts
    • 4,649 Thanks
    gardner1
    • 3rd Feb 19, 11:43 AM
    • 3rd Feb 19, 11:43 AM
    Well OP remember that the phone will be dropped/scratched and abused by a 10 yr old.....he will go over data allowance which will cost extra
    If it was me i'd give him an old phone with a payg sim or get a cheap one from ebay
    • Farway
    • By Farway 3rd Feb 19, 2:10 PM
    • 7,133 Posts
    • 13,259 Thanks
    Farway
    • 3rd Feb 19, 2:10 PM
    • 3rd Feb 19, 2:10 PM
    Well OP remember that the phone will be dropped/scratched and abused by a 10 yr old.....he will go over data allowance which will cost extra
    If it was me i'd give him an old phone with a payg sim or get a cheap one from ebay
    Originally posted by gardner1
    I'd do the same, until he gets used to not losing it, having it nicked, dropped etc
    • Cisco001
    • By Cisco001 3rd Feb 19, 11:29 PM
    • 3,009 Posts
    • 1,292 Thanks
    Cisco001
    • 3rd Feb 19, 11:29 PM
    • 3rd Feb 19, 11:29 PM
    I won't get iPhone....
    • ididntgetwhereiamtoday
    • By ididntgetwhereiamtoday 4th Feb 19, 4:28 AM
    • 1,264 Posts
    • 986 Thanks
    ididntgetwhereiamtoday
    • 4th Feb 19, 4:28 AM
    • 4th Feb 19, 4:28 AM
    I won't get iPhone....
    Originally posted by Cisco001
    Don't panic! No one has asked you to get an iPhone!
    I didn't get where i am today by not reading moneysavingexpert.com
    • iammumtoone
    • By iammumtoone 4th Feb 19, 7:25 AM
    • 5,987 Posts
    • 11,943 Thanks
    iammumtoone
    • 4th Feb 19, 7:25 AM
    • 4th Feb 19, 7:25 AM
    my 11 year old has a second hand phone from ebay. I refuse to buy new as within a few months it would be scratched anyway. He has an iphone 5s.

Sim is 5 per month capped at 10, no contract.
    • fimms
    • By fimms 4th Feb 19, 6:15 PM
    • 41 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    fimms
    • 4th Feb 19, 6:15 PM
    • 4th Feb 19, 6:15 PM
    Got our 11yr old a Nokia 1 (~£65) with a sturdy case (~£6) and an O2 PAYG 321 SIM. Have told him not to use data (altho haven't restricted it so we can "track" him) but call/text whenever he needs to.
    • 20aday
    • By 20aday 5th Feb 19, 9:10 AM
    • 2,428 Posts
    • 1,039 Thanks
    20aday
    Depending on your budget Tesco Mobile have the IMO S2 with Monqi:

https://www.tescomobile.com/shop/pay-as-you-go/imo/s2-monqi-phone

Further details here:

http://imomobile.co.uk/product/imo-s2-monqi/
    It's not your credit score that counts, it's your credit history. Any replies are my own personal opinion and not a representation of my employer.
    • mentm
    • By mentm 5th Feb 19, 5:52 PM
    • 44 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    mentm
    Giffgaff £5 a month bolt on so they canít exceed their limit and leave you with a big bill like a normal contract. They were selling the se for £200 a lot of money for a kids first phone imho.
    • ididntgetwhereiamtoday
    • By ididntgetwhereiamtoday 6th Feb 19, 5:58 AM
    • 1,264 Posts
    • 986 Thanks
    ididntgetwhereiamtoday
    CMIIW but I think all contracts have to have a option to cap now. I know virgin do so you can't go over by more than £5 a month or you can set the limit to what you want.
    I didn't get where i am today by not reading moneysavingexpert.com
    • bishbut
    • By bishbut 6th Feb 19, 6:49 AM
    • 8 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    bishbut
    mobile phones
    cheap pre-used phones are available everywhere on the High street just go and look The child should not need DATA just for calls PAYGO a very good idea
    • fimms
    • By fimms 6th Feb 19, 9:52 AM
    • 41 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    fimms
    The child should not need DATA just for calls PAYGO a very good idea
    Originally posted by bishbut
    The child will need data if the parent wants to be able to "track" them via Google Family Link (or similar)
    • stragglebod
    • By stragglebod 6th Feb 19, 11:42 AM
    • 436 Posts
    • 386 Thanks
    stragglebod
    Stay away from contracts. Buy a sim free phone and put them on a pay as you go bundle.
    https://kenstechtips.com/index.php/cheapest-pay-as-you-go-bundles
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

673Posts Today

5,857Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin