Why can't I port my telephone number?

Options
Hello,
After some help please.
I was trying to switch from Talktalk to NowTV broadband but stopped when the NowTV people told me I would not be able to port my landline number as there is a problem in Openreach space for Talktalk to Now Tv transfers. Went on line to chat with Openreach but they weren't aware of the issue/told me to talk to my provider.
Is anyone else aware of this issue?

Comments

• iniltous
    iniltous Posts: 3,124 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 7 January 2019 at 9:34PM
    Options
    Hello,
    After some help please.
    I was trying to switch from Talktalk to NowTV broadband but stopped when the NowTV people told me I would not be able to port my landline number as there is a problem in Openreach space for Talktalk to Now Tv transfers. Went on line to chat with Openreach but they weren't aware of the issue/told me to talk to my provider.
    Is anyone else aware of this issue?

If Now Tv won't import a TT number, that is either Now TV or TT problem, and nothing to do with Openreach, it's up to you to decide if it's important enough to to either look at providers that will import the TT number , or stay with TT.
    Its vey easy for NowTV to either not offer portability or can't the rep cannot be bothered to process a number port ( and blame it on OR )
    TT and Now Tv ( via Sky) are LLU providers , all OR provide is the wires from the exchange to your home, the same wires would be used , and simply moved from a TT to a Sky LLU termination
  • Nick_C
    Nick_C Posts: 7,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    Do you need to port your number to your broadband provider? You could port it to a VOIP provider such as Sipgate Basic.

You will never need to change "landline" providers again. The service is free for incoming calls. You can use software that allows you to receive calls to your landline number on a mobile as well as on VOIP handsets.
  • amcg100
    amcg100 Posts: 277 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi
    It sounds to me that Now TV do not have the facility to port numbers. If you need to keep your landline number then select another provider.

Alternatively, as Nick C says, you can port the number to a VOIP service but this will take some effort, technical knowledge and probably some expense ( call diverts etc ) so can't see it being worthwhile just to switch to Now TV .....
    If a man does not keep pace with his companions, then perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music he hears, however measured or far away. thoreau
  • frankie
    frankie Posts: 846 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    When I moved from PN to NowTV my number was ported, didn't actually ask for this to be done, it just happened!
  • TalkTalk
    TalkTalk Posts: 1,948 Organisation Representative
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi Georgehall50

We would advise speaking to NowTV about this or if you contact us directly we can take a look into what is happening with the transfer.

Our contact details can be found on our help page.

Vicky - TalkTalk Social Team.
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Talk Talk. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • r3z
    Options
    TalkTalk are blocking my number from being ported to Plusnet also despite no legitimate reason and contrary to Ofcom rules.This appears to be standard practice for them and one of the many blockers they use to try and prevent customers from leaving. Looks like a complaint to Ofcom is going to be required..
  • TalkTalk
    TalkTalk Posts: 1,948 Organisation Representative
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi R3z

There are some circumstances when a number port may not be available.

We can check on this for you if you can contact us directly using the contact details on our website.

Vicky - TalkTalk Social Team.
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Talk Talk. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • D_M_E
    D_M_E Posts: 3,008 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    When we moved from TT they told us "that number is ours, you cannot take it to another service provider" and would not allow us to move it to someone else.

Had to get a new number from new provider.
  • Tridens
    Options
    Hi I had the same problem I wanted to port my number from BT to Now tv for fibre broadband on 2 acasions now tv contacted me saying my umber can't be ported its strange 2 different providers same problem
  • r3z
    Options
    "There are some circumstances when a number port may not be available. "

I'm sure it would be a useful reference for everyone if you shared details of the circumstances that would prevent a number port.

In my case, I've had the number for 7 years, since moving into the property and have had no issue with porting the number from BT > EE > Sky > TalkTalk before latest switch to Plusnet. No problem with others so what basis should TalkTalk have to block this.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure