Advice - Ill treatment Qatar Airways

Options
EmmaKevin17
EmmaKevin17 Posts: 7 Forumite
edited 7 January 2019 at 3:02AM in Flights, currency & car hire
Hi,

I am sorry if this is in the wrong place, but I am looking for some advice after a truly horrifying experience with Qatar airways.

On my outbound flight Jakarta>Doha>London (total 20 hours with layover) I was given no food as I am a vegan and despite booking this flight in March and booking on a VGML, they forgot. On the first leg of the journey (9+hours) my screen didn't work and they couldn't move me as the flight was full.
On my layover, a madman in the airport screamed into the boarding lounge that my plane was going down, I was the only one around as I was early because I had come straight off of the 1st plane. When I told security staff they asked me to get out of the 1st class check-in area (it was empty and they were the closest staff).
I emailed all of this to Qatar and they sent me a standard copy and paste 'sorry'.

On the return flight London>Doha>Jakarta, my flight was delayed 3 hours meaning that I missed my layover. They gave me another flight with a 9 hour layover - I refused. They offered me a flight with Garuda Indonesia but told me that there would be no food because it was less than 48 hours notice (not my fault, obviously) I refused that too. I was then offered a flight the following morning which I took, only to get to the airport and be told there was still no food, so I might as well have got the Garuda flight.
I arrived 10 hours after I should have done.

There are a lot more details to this, such as:
- promises of call backs that didn't happen
- promises of booking on food, that didn't happen
- no customer service lines being open past 6pm
- being given an email address to write to that bounces back an email telling you your email 'has not been read' and to contact tellus@qatarairways.com which is the email address I got the copy and paste 'sorry' from.
Loads more too...but I don't want to go on.

Any advice on how to take this further? I have already emailed them a detailed account of what happened.

Comments

• mgdavid
    mgdavid Posts: 6,705 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    what class was the ticket, and how much did you pay?
    The questions that get the best answers are the questions that give most detail....
  • EmmaKevin17
    Options
    mgdavid wrote: »
    what class was the ticket, and how much did you pay?

It was Economy, I think I paid about 600GBP.
  • budgetflyer
    budgetflyer Posts: 5,949 Forumite
    Options
    In my experience, only their business class is 5star. Economy certainly isn't. Customer service is awful. Really, save your energy and sanity. You will get no satisfaction so just move on.
  • EmmaKevin17
    EmmaKevin17 Posts: 7 Forumite
    edited 7 January 2019 at 7:20AM
    Options
    @budgetflyer Really? Ok.
    Do you think I am entitled to compensation for the delayed flight and the fact that I landed 10+ hours after I was meant to. I know it isn't an EU airline, but it was from an EU airport.

Worth a try, right?
  • Westin
    Westin Posts: 5,942 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Had you taken the Garuda flight, what time would you have arrived back in Jakarta? Would this have been more than 3hrs after the original Qatar Airlines flight with the Doha stop?

This may influence any claim to Qatar against the initial delay for EU261 compensation.
  • EmmaKevin17
    Options
    Westin wrote: »
    Had you taken the Garuda flight, what time would you have arrived back in Jakarta? Would this have been more than 3hrs after the original Qatar Airlines flight with the Doha stop?

This may influence any claim to Qatar against the initial delay for EU261 compensation.

Yes, the flight would have had had us in exactly 3 hours and 5 minutes later than the original flight.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,750 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If there was no food on board couid you not have eaten before boarding then bought something to take on with you, rather than refuse the flight?
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,545 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    what was the reason for the delay from London?
  • EmmaKevin17
    Options
    elsien wrote: »
    If there was no food on board couid you not have eaten before boarding then bought something to take on with you, rather than refuse the flight?

Yes, we could have done that. In the end, that is what we did.
    We also refused the flight due to the fact that I am a very nervous flier and don't like to go more than 8 or 9 hours without a break. As the morning flight option was given to us at the same time and I was so worked up after the evenings events, we chose to go home for a little and take the morning flight.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,206 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    elsien wrote: »

I wondered this, vegan is a life choice, there's usually bread rolls , biscuits or fruit available even in economy if you ask really nicely, no one needs to starve. Personally I don't rely on being fed, as a coeliac I *must* eat GF so most of the additional little snacks or spare bread rolls are no good for me- so I've got into the habit of always taking my own.

I am not sure that refusing a flight due to not having a specifically requested meal is a particularly valid reason, I know from other forums that airlines are under no obligation to feed a coeliac, so I can't see that a vegan is different.

Whatever OP can peruse for any sort of claim I think I'd drop the food part, maybe a brief mention, but certainly not something worth expecting additional compensation for.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure