PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Bookworm's Thread 2019

Happy New Year all friends and fellow lovers of literature, and welcome to a brand new shiny thread for 2019! It's the fourth year of sharing our reading delights, and also the duds that life is just too short for (hopefully to a lesser extent!)

Linky to previous threads here.

Happy reading in 2019!

Yyc9VadIocjV6.gif
Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!

Comments

• Mr_Singleton
    Mr_Singleton Posts: 1,891 Forumite
    edited 1 January 2019 at 8:45PM
    My New Year book resolution is to read 1 book a week.
    New Year new book....

413lWJJcn8L._SX322_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
  • leelad
    leelad Posts: 131 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    It's Jack Reacher for me this year. I tried to regularly do reading last year and managed to complete two of these books, but fell out of love with them (was struggling to find that quality time to read and enjoy a book). So have had a break and a think, and have decided to approach this by working through the books in chronological order. started off with the first book in the series, Killing Floor. Halfway through it so far and am finding it difficult to put down (a good sign).
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    I realise that Lee Childs books are very popular, but I never paid any attention until a couple of weeks ago when I heard him on BBC HardTalk. I tuned into the episode too late to hear who was being interviewed, but way he responded to questions intrigued me enough to dig out the video version (never a hardship to to watch, thanks to the Sackur-factor :D).

Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,393 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    I'm totally hooked on 'City of Light' by Lauren Belfer

It's set in Buffalo in the early 20th C and is the story of the development of electricity, along with a woman who challenges conventions of the time.

Thanks fir new thread, VM.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • Goldiegirl
    Goldiegirl Posts: 8,805 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
    I have a personal reading challenge this year.

I want to read the books that have built up, before I buy any more.

I've currently got 13 books on my Kindle waiting to be read, and 17 physical books, which have been hanging around since I got my Kindle in 2012.

I read the first of my 'real' books last week. Although I love my Kindle, it was a pleasure to hold a book and turn the pages.

The book I read was called Judicial Whispers by Caro Fraser. It's the second in a series of stories about a set of barristers in chambers. I read the first in the series nine years ago. Once I've achieved my little challenge, I'd certainly consider reading more in this series.
    Early retired - 18th December 2014
    If your dreams don't scare you, they're not big enough
  • Purple_kitten
    Purple_kitten Posts: 3,031 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I've been dipping into the 2019 Almanac and the Nigel Slater chistmas chronicles.

I have today started reading The Toy Makers.
  • leelad
    leelad Posts: 131 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Thank you for the link VfM, will watch in the next couple of days. Also thank you for setting up this thread.
  • flubberyzing
    flubberyzing Posts: 1,386 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I'm also a Lee Child/Jack Reacher fan. :) I've probably read about 15 of his now, and have enjoyed them all. I'm going to take a little break from them though, as I read a lot of them last year, and need something different.
    Yesterday I finished 'The Circle' by Lee Eggers, which was much better than I'd expected. Basically, what might happen if all the big players on the internet, Google, Facebook, Twitter etc, all joined forces to make one mega-site.
    Then I started 'The Hobbit', which I've never read, but have had sitting on my shelves for some years now.
    Because it's fun to have money!
    £0/£70 August GC
    £68.35/£70 July GC
    January-June 2019 = £356.94/£420
  • Syman
    Syman Posts: 2,616 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    I have read all of the Reacher novels, the later ones get a bit "samey" but i read them anyway.

Managed 69 books last year, looking at 60 or so this year on the Goodreads challenge
    Clicky

Finished this today
    36348491.jpg
    Was a bit of a mind melt. Based around a murder, suicide and a "Cult".

next is:-

37686714.jpg

according to the reviews it is SAW meets Agatha Christie!
    Never put off till tomorrow what you can do today!:mad:
    Cos if you do it today and like it...You can do it again tomorrow.. :p

Bookworm's Thread 2019 reading Challenge total :- 1/60
  • rchj4
    rchj4 Posts: 43 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    It takes me about two weeks to read one paperback ! But that comes to approx 25 books / year so perhaps that's not too bad .
    I'm just finishing & loving The Pearl Sister by Lucinda Riley . I have been reading her Seven Sisters series with great enjoyment . I don't read them back to back , though .
    She gives me
    insight into different parts of the world & different racial cultures that I could never experience personally .
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback