Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ska lover
    • By ska lover 15th Sep 18, 1:01 AM
    • 2,871Posts
    • 7,056Thanks
    ska lover
    Money Moral Dilemma: = Is it fair for me to scream every time I see yet another fake problem
    • 15th Sep 18, 1:01 AM
    Money Moral Dilemma: = Is it fair for me to scream every time I see yet another fake problem 15th Sep 18 at 1:01 AM
    Can we just stop with these rubbish fake dilemmas that are flooding this board?
    The opposite of what you know...is also true
Page 1
    • Fireflyaway
    • By Fireflyaway 15th Sep 18, 8:32 AM
    • 1,919 Posts
    • 2,154 Thanks
    Fireflyaway
    • 15th Sep 18, 8:32 AM
    • 15th Sep 18, 8:32 AM
    Do you live in a flat? How loud will the scream be and at what time of the day?
    If you scream into a pillow that could help relieve your stress without disturbing people so I'd say it's ok ....
    Last edited by Fireflyaway; 15-09-2018 at 8:33 AM. Reason: T
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 15th Sep 18, 8:41 AM
    • 20,660 Posts
    • 55,523 Thanks
    Pollycat
    • 15th Sep 18, 8:41 AM
    • 15th Sep 18, 8:41 AM
    Can we just stop with these rubbish fake dilemmas that are flooding this board?
    Originally posted by ska lover
    Actually, some aren't fake.

I would have bet anything that the most recent MMD - the one about using a child's premium bond winnings (the winnings are currently non-existent) to pay off the mortgage) was a made-up one.
    But apparently not.
    • Berkshire Beancounter
    • By Berkshire Beancounter 15th Sep 18, 8:53 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Berkshire Beancounter
    • 15th Sep 18, 8:53 AM
    • 15th Sep 18, 8:53 AM
    I used to subscribe to a personal finance magazine. On browsing an older copy prior to recycling it, I thought the reader's 'problem' about mortgages looked familiar. On comparing the current edition I found the reader's letter, and reply, was identical to one published over a year ago - even to the extent that numbers quoted in the answer were identical, despite the fact interest rates had changed in the meantime.

I contacted the editor to ask if all the problems were made up (as I'd naively actually submitted a query of my own, obviously never published) but needless to say I got no response. I cancelled my subscription not long after that.

Not related to finance matters, but the most memorable reader's problem I ever saw published online in a national newspaper's website, was one from a gentleman who said he was bisexual. On meeting his new girlfriend's father he realised he'd had a liaison with the father in the past. Now his dilemma was, should he tell the girl of his dreams that he knew her father in the biblical sense. To say there was some scepticism that this was a 'real' problem is putting it mildly.
    • NaughtiusMaximus
    • By NaughtiusMaximus 15th Sep 18, 9:21 AM
    • 1,044 Posts
    • 2,569 Thanks
    NaughtiusMaximus
    • 15th Sep 18, 9:21 AM
    • 15th Sep 18, 9:21 AM
    I don't scream, my usual reaction is more like 'oh FFS not another one'
    • NaughtiusMaximus
    • By NaughtiusMaximus 15th Sep 18, 9:27 AM
    • 1,044 Posts
    • 2,569 Thanks
    NaughtiusMaximus
    • 15th Sep 18, 9:27 AM
    • 15th Sep 18, 9:27 AM

Not related to finance matters, but the most memorable reader's problem I ever saw published online in a national newspaper's website, was one from a gentleman who said he was bisexual. On meeting his new girlfriend's father he realised he'd had a liaison with the father in the past. Now his dilemma was, should he tell the girl of his dreams that he knew her father in the biblical sense. To say there was some scepticism that this was a 'real' problem is putting it mildly.
    Originally posted by Berkshire Beancounter
    I think they lifted that from a film or TV programme, I'm sure I've seen that twist in something.
    • marliepanda
    • By marliepanda 15th Sep 18, 12:10 PM
    • 6,571 Posts
    • 14,097 Thanks
    marliepanda
    • 15th Sep 18, 12:10 PM
    • 15th Sep 18, 12:10 PM

I would have bet anything that the most recent MMD - the one about using a child's premium bond winnings (the winnings are currently non-existent) to pay off the mortgage) was a made-up one.
    But apparently not.
    Originally posted by Pollycat
    It does indeed beggars belief that some of these are real.

However, real does not mean that they are above making fun of when they are ridiculous...
    • maman
    • By maman 15th Sep 18, 12:18 PM
    • 18,416 Posts
    • 109,921 Thanks
    maman
    • 15th Sep 18, 12:18 PM
    • 15th Sep 18, 12:18 PM
    I really loathe the mse originated ones and have complained often. I was assured that people send them in and because they're too busy to respond they post them for us to comment.

Even that response sounds fake to me. Why would someone pose a question to the mse team? Why not start a genuine thread of their own?

It's bad enough when a genuine poster starts a thread and then doesn't return but to just pose a silly question and disappear is pathetic and rather patronising IMO. You'd have thought the mse team would have better things to do with their time.
    • marliepanda
    • By marliepanda 15th Sep 18, 12:22 PM
    • 6,571 Posts
    • 14,097 Thanks
    marliepanda
    • 15th Sep 18, 12:22 PM
    • 15th Sep 18, 12:22 PM
    I really loathe the mse originated ones and have complained often. I was assured that people send them in and because they're too busy to respond they post them for us to comment.

Even that response sounds fake to me. Why would someone pose a question to the mse team? Why not start a genuine thread of their own?

It's bad enough when a genuine poster starts a thread and then doesn't return but to just pose a silly question and disappear is pathetic and rather patronising IMO. You'd have thought the mse team would have better things to do with their time.
    Originally posted by maman
    What you will see though is there is a hoard of people who only come to the forum when the link is posted to the Ďdilemmaí in the newsletter. I imagine those people submit them and wait patiently for their money dilemma to be solved...
    • Sunny Intervals
    • By Sunny Intervals 15th Sep 18, 2:30 PM
    • 206 Posts
    • 650 Thanks
    Sunny Intervals
    It is a bit of an odd way to get your question answered when the forum is readily available. "Oh, it's such a dilemma! I'd better email it to someone and wait months/years to see if they post it, even though I don't seem to have time to read/respond to any replies to get better answers."

Maybe something like the money tips thing would work better? They could pick something that had already been posted and where the OP is clearly engaged and needing help and draw attention to it in the email, rather than making a new thread.
    • Gavin83
    • By Gavin83 15th Sep 18, 4:50 PM
    • 5,310 Posts
    • 8,701 Thanks
    Gavin83

But apparently not.
    Originally posted by Pollycat
    I remember this MMD appearing on here as a real thread once, so while it might be slightly adapted the underlying dilemma is entirely real. Unless of course the original poster was a troll, which is possible given the subject matter.

I also remember a similar one where two young siblings both had premium bonds and one of them won a sizeable amount of money, the question was should it be split.
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 16th Sep 18, 10:27 AM
    • 37,762 Posts
    • 158,967 Thanks
    silvercar
    Having once sent in a MMD that was featured, there were still sceptics doubting its authenticity.

I don't really understand why people start screaming when MSE post a possibly fictitious MMD, but happily accept the nonsense that random users post without complaining. If you don't like it, then just move on.
    • JanellCain
    • By JanellCain 16th Sep 18, 10:43 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    JanellCain
    There is a good idea - go to the beach and do it there!
    • maman
    • By maman 16th Sep 18, 12:18 PM
    • 18,416 Posts
    • 109,921 Thanks
    maman
    Having once sent in a MMD that was featured, there were still sceptics doubting its authenticity.

I don't really understand why people start screaming when MSE post a possibly fictitious MMD, but happily accept the nonsense that random users post without complaining. If you don't like it, then just move on.
    Originally posted by silvercar

Could it be because we expect people employed by mseto behave better than some random user? Or maybe that there are other issues with the site that they could be focusing on such as helping out the voluntary board guides? Or that it's patronising to users who don't post a load of nonsense to add even more fake dilemmas to the site?

Moving on is obviously an option for an individual but that won't resolve it.
    • marliepanda
    • By marliepanda 16th Sep 18, 1:42 PM
    • 6,571 Posts
    • 14,097 Thanks
    marliepanda

Originally posted by silvercar
    Mostly the issue with these compared to normal threads:
    The threads are usually very abridged versions with barely any information.

That means there simply isnít enough to give accurate or correct advice as there are too many Ďif this then that, but if if not then...í

9/10 there is no follow up from the OP so we never get the info and itís never resolved and itís just a bunch of opinions based on assumptions, or people asking for more info.
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 16th Sep 18, 2:27 PM
    • 4,406 Posts
    • 4,227 Thanks
    Comms69
    Money Moral Dilemma = I have no morals and am seeking validation
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 16th Sep 18, 6:14 PM
    • 17,290 Posts
    • 10,434 Thanks
    motorguy
    I agree with the O/P - they do irritate the !!!! out of me.

What bemuses me more though is that people actually respond and debate it.
    "We have normality. I repeat, we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem."
    • Spendless
    • By Spendless 16th Sep 18, 7:15 PM
    • 20,298 Posts
    • 33,695 Thanks
    Spendless
    Mostly the issue with these compared to normal threads:
    The threads are usually very abridged versions with barely any information.

That means there simply isnít enough to give accurate or correct advice as there are too many Ďif this then that, but if if not then...í

9/10 there is no follow up from the OP so we never get the info and itís never resolved and itís just a bunch of opinions based on assumptions, or people asking for more info.
    Originally posted by marliepanda
    ^^^^ This 100%. There was a MMD a while back about some issue to do with a camera and part of it was that the person had no insurance. Of course, it was simple to reply, 'should have had insurance'. The person who emailed in the dilemma then joined the site to talk about it more and the situation re the insurance was far more complex than 'they didn't have any'.

Whilst I see the need to edit what might be a long question, missing out vital information makes it all a bit pointless.
    • marliepanda
    • By marliepanda 16th Sep 18, 7:41 PM
    • 6,571 Posts
    • 14,097 Thanks
    marliepanda
    I agree with the O/P - they do irritate the !!!! out of me.

What bemuses me more though is that people actually respond and debate it.
    Originally posted by motorguy
    But theyíre always people who ONLY come to the forum for the MMD, they have about 20 posts in 5 years or something!

They also seem to be the only people who like them.
    • st999
    • By st999 18th Sep 18, 5:02 PM
    • 1,199 Posts
    • 661 Thanks
    st999
    I posted a post that was turned into a MMD.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

111Posts Today

1,612Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @Dora_Haf: @MartinSLewis So many people on here saying they're great until you get your PROPER job. What if Your proper job Is ON zero?

• RT @hslt88: @MartinSLewis I?m a trustee for a youth charity. We only have a limited pool of funds for flexible youth workers for holiday sc?

• RT @Dan_i_elle_88: @MartinSLewis Loved working zero hour agency care work. Never out of work and I loved having the flexibility! Only left?

• Follow Martin