Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pauli2
    • By Pauli2 13th Sep 18, 7:51 PM
    • 8Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Pauli2
    Two speeding tickets inside 15 mins
    • 13th Sep 18, 7:51 PM
    Two speeding tickets inside 15 mins 13th Sep 18 at 7:51 PM
    Same camera but in different cars. The first is when I was returning in a pool car and about 15 mins later coming back in my private car. I've paid the £100 fine and sent my DL off for my offence and now the works car notice has arrived, I'm waiting find out from work exactly the date it was issued. However in the case everything was done correctly what are my chances of getting one offence cancelled due to the close proximity of the offences and only 3 points being applied? Thanks.
Page 4
    • Ergates
    • By Ergates 15th Sep 18, 12:43 PM
    • 92 Posts
    • 156 Thanks
    Ergates
    This is the biggest load of rubbish i have read on this forum
    Originally posted by Ganga
    Did you hear the whoosh?
    • TooManyPoints
    • By TooManyPoints 15th Sep 18, 1:36 PM
    • 130 Posts
    • 93 Thanks
    TooManyPoints
    No repeaters? Are there streetlights? 30.
    Unless the road in question is a motorway.
    • Hermione Granger
    • By Hermione Granger 15th Sep 18, 1:38 PM
    • 892 Posts
    • 1,436 Thanks
    Hermione Granger
    Look, it's very simple. EVERY SINGLE person who passed their driving test in the UK has known this at one point.
    Originally posted by AdrianC

Known it at one point but may well have forgotten which is why when posting what appears to be a statement of fact on a motoring forums, it's best to try to make sure that when you post is actually correct or at the very least, can't easily be misinterpreted.

Speaking of which, I'm glad you're here as I've been meaning to ask.
    Have you managed to find the relevant section of the Vienna convention on international traffic that covers the minimum insurance requirement when driving in signatory countries yet?
    • Car 54
    • By Car 54 15th Sep 18, 5:24 PM
    • 3,289 Posts
    • 2,047 Thanks
    Car 54
    Look, it's very simple. EVERY SINGLE person who passed their driving test in the UK has known this at one point.

Are there repeaters? They tell you the limit.
    No repeaters or streetlights? NSL.
    So what's NSL? Count the carriageways. One? 60. Two? 70.
    Bingo. You always know the prevailing, enforceable speed limit, within a few hundred metres at most.

And, to pre-empt... That's for cars/motorcycles/small vans. Bigger stuff differs.

Agreed . But it appears that many can't even count the number of carriageways*. How can they remember the rest?

* = According to Joan Rivers, even Liz Hurley can count to two if she opens her blouse.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 15th Sep 18, 5:36 PM
    • 18,344 Posts
    • 16,583 Thanks
    AdrianC
    I'm sure they can count to two, it's just they don't appear to actually understand what a carriageway is. It's not a terribly hard concept...
    • Nilrem
    • By Nilrem 15th Sep 18, 5:42 PM
    • 2,402 Posts
    • 1,584 Thanks
    Nilrem
    Same camera but in different cars. The first is when I was returning in a pool car and about 15 mins later coming back in my private car. I've paid the £100 fine and sent my DL off for my offence and now the works car notice has arrived, I'm waiting find out from work exactly the date it was issued. However in the case everything was done correctly what are my chances of getting one offence cancelled due to the close proximity of the offences and only 3 points being applied? Thanks.
    Originally posted by Pauli2
    No chance of getting one removed.

You missed the speed camera twice in a few minutes, you comitted two offences, on two separate trips.
    You're paying for it.

A friend used to speed out of one of the local villages a lot, right up until the day he got done twice in 30 minutes using the same car, they didn't say "well you've just had one ticket from the camera, we'll let you off the second one mate", as he committed two separate speeding offences.
    • Pauli2
    • By Pauli2 17th Sep 18, 12:23 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Pauli2
    Thanks for all the replies.

After checking with my employer, I have now discovered the NIP to them was issued and dated 18 days after the date of offence.
    • waamo
    • By waamo 17th Sep 18, 12:27 PM
    • 4,178 Posts
    • 5,485 Thanks
    waamo

After checking with my employer, I have now discovered the NIP to them was issued and dated 18 days after the date of offence.
    If you are thinking it's late then ask them for the DocRef on page 2 of the V5c.
    This space for hire.
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 17th Sep 18, 12:28 PM
    • 2,325 Posts
    • 1,421 Thanks
    AndyMc.....

Have you seen the V5?
    Hi there! Weíve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if youíre unsure why itís been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 17th Sep 18, 12:29 PM
    • 18,344 Posts
    • 16,583 Thanks
    AdrianC

I bet they lease the car, and it went to the lease firm first.
    • Pauli2
    • By Pauli2 17th Sep 18, 12:30 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Pauli2
    Ask who for the V5? Why, would that make a difference?

Thanks
    • waamo
    • By waamo 17th Sep 18, 12:36 PM
    • 4,178 Posts
    • 5,485 Thanks
    waamo

Thanks
    Your company that received the NIP.
    This space for hire.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 17th Sep 18, 12:37 PM
    • 18,344 Posts
    • 16,583 Thanks
    AdrianC
    Because the name and address on the V5C at the time of the offence are who the first NIP are sent to. Remember, all they have to go off is the registration.

That first NIP is the one that has to be within 14 days.

Your employer will almost certainly not have the car registered to them. It will be registered to the lease firm.
    If that's the case, then the lease firm received the first NIP in time to reply to it, naming their customer - your employer - and the second NIP be sent to them by day 18.
    They then had 28 days to reply naming which employee they believed was driving. In a large firm, it will be the co.car admin, perhaps at head office, who will have initially received that.
    They then replied within 28 days, giving the details of whichever sub-office or department is responsible for the pool car.
    That admin person will then have received their own NIP, checked the car log, seen you signed it out at the relevant time, and sent your details back within 28 days.
    You then receive your NIP.
    Last edited by AdrianC; 17-09-2018 at 12:39 PM.
    • sleepymans
    • By sleepymans 17th Sep 18, 12:46 PM
    • 790 Posts
    • 1,192 Thanks
    sleepymans

Are there repeaters? They tell you the limit.
    No repeaters or streetlights? NSL.
    So what's NSL? Count the carriageways. One? 60. Two? 70.
    Bingo. You always know the prevailing, enforceable speed limit, within a few hundred metres at most.

And, to pre-empt... That's for cars/motorcycles/small vans. Bigger stuff differs.
    Thatís really helpful and succinct.

I passed my driving test in 1978 and drive up to 15k miles a year. I had one SP30 in 1990 and been clean ever since. BUT seriously have never heard the term Ďrepeatersí in the context of speed limits. Iím not being sarcastic and am keen to keep my knowledge up to date..What is a repeater?

TIA
    Goddess
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 17th Sep 18, 12:50 PM
    • 18,344 Posts
    • 16,583 Thanks
    AdrianC
    BUT seriously have never heard the term ‘repeaters’ in the context of speed limits. I’m not being sarcastic and am keen to keep my knowledge up to date..What is a repeater?
    Originally posted by sleepymans
    Y'know as you drive through a 40 or 50 limit, there's small regular reminder signs of what the limit is at the side of the road?

Those.

If there are streetlights and it's NSL, then it needs to have (/) reminders.
    If there aren't streetlights but it's 30, then it needs to have 30 reminders.

https://goo.gl/maps/G6kCbAzqEWH2
    Last edited by AdrianC; 17-09-2018 at 12:53 PM.
    • TooManyPoints
    • By TooManyPoints 17th Sep 18, 4:25 PM
    • 130 Posts
    • 93 Thanks
    TooManyPoints
    If there are streetlights and it's NSL, then it needs to have (/) reminders.
    And once again, unless the road in question is a motorway.
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 17th Sep 18, 5:23 PM
    • 2,325 Posts
    • 1,421 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    And once again, unless the road in question is a motorway.
    Originally posted by TooManyPoints
    But not all motorways are national speed limit.
    Hi there! Weíve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if youíre unsure why itís been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • Mercdriver
    • By Mercdriver 17th Sep 18, 8:29 PM
    • 2,013 Posts
    • 1,381 Thanks
    Mercdriver
    But not all motorways are national speed limit.
    Originally posted by AndyMc.....
    But motorways are the opposite of 30mph areas. They are NSL unless there are repeaters showing otherwise or in 'Smart' Motorways.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

171Posts Today

1,466Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @Dora_Haf: @MartinSLewis So many people on here saying they're great until you get your PROPER job. What if Your proper job Is ON zero?

• RT @hslt88: @MartinSLewis I?m a trustee for a youth charity. We only have a limited pool of funds for flexible youth workers for holiday sc?

• RT @Dan_i_elle_88: @MartinSLewis Loved working zero hour agency care work. Never out of work and I loved having the flexibility! Only left?

• Follow Martin