Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Kelvin
    • By MSE Kelvin 14th Aug 18, 4:18 PM
    • 39Posts
    • 90Thanks
    MSE Kelvin
    Money Moral Dilemma: Should I keep quiet about my 'free' broadband?
    • 14th Aug 18, 4:18 PM
    Money Moral Dilemma: Should I keep quiet about my 'free' broadband? 14th Aug 18 at 4:18 PM
    This week's MoneySaver who wants advice asks...

I signed up for Vodafone fibre broadband and then changed my connection date. This seems to have confused its systems - the broadband works, but several months down the line I've realised I've not been charged.

Unfortunately the MSE team can't always answer money moral dilemma questions as contributions are often emailed in or suggested in person. They are intended to be enjoyed as a point of debate and discussed at face value.

If you havenít already, join the forum to reply.

Got a money moral dilemma of your own? Suggest an MMD.

This Forum tip was included in MoneySavingExpert.com's weekly email!

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Facebook, MSE Deals Twitter, Forum Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
Page 1
    • Marvel1
    • By Marvel1 14th Aug 18, 5:33 PM
    • 3,626 Posts
    • 3,962 Thanks
    Marvel1
    • 14th Aug 18, 5:33 PM
    • 14th Aug 18, 5:33 PM
    I'm trying to work out how this related to Marriage, Relationships & Families, when there is a broadband forum.
    • fibonarchie
    • By fibonarchie 14th Aug 18, 6:37 PM
    • 904 Posts
    • 1,559 Thanks
    fibonarchie
    • 14th Aug 18, 6:37 PM
    • 14th Aug 18, 6:37 PM
    Someone will discover the oversight sooner or later and you'll get charged for it. Best not let it build up, I say.
    Signature Removed by Forum Team ..thanks to somebody reporting a witty and decades-old Kenny Everett quote as 'offensive'!!
    • MSE Kelvin
    • By MSE Kelvin 14th Aug 18, 6:42 PM
    • 39 Posts
    • 90 Thanks
    MSE Kelvin
    • 14th Aug 18, 6:42 PM
    • 14th Aug 18, 6:42 PM
    My mistake @cjdavies - have moved the thread to the Broadband & Internet Access board.

Thanks for the heads up

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Facebook, MSE Deals Twitter, Forum Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
    • Kazt2006
    • By Kazt2006 14th Aug 18, 7:48 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    Kazt2006
    • 14th Aug 18, 7:48 PM
    • 14th Aug 18, 7:48 PM
    I would put the money away each month until they send you a bill. Then when they do, negotiate over the length of time you have to pay the arrears in since it is not your fault. When your minimum term is up, try switching to a better deal with another provider to see if that triggers something. I know with energy companies there is a limit to how far back they can go but do not think this applies to phone and broadband providers!

If you have set up a DD just double check at your bank that this is active - i.e. set up as a payee on internet banking to ensure that they could take the payment if they wanted.
    Last edited by Kazt2006; 14-08-2018 at 7:48 PM. Reason: Punctuation
    • ska lover
    • By ska lover 14th Aug 18, 9:35 PM
    • 2,890 Posts
    • 7,101 Thanks
    ska lover
    • 14th Aug 18, 9:35 PM
    • 14th Aug 18, 9:35 PM
    I would keep the money aside, and if it isn't discovered I would not tell them

It's their mistake. I wouldn't own up..Id wait to see if they approached me
    The opposite of what you know...is also true
    • JuliusCaesar
    • By JuliusCaesar 14th Aug 18, 11:29 PM
    • 44 Posts
    • 47 Thanks
    JuliusCaesar
    • 14th Aug 18, 11:29 PM
    • 14th Aug 18, 11:29 PM
    You have an obligation to pay for the service they are providing, but are under no obligation to notify them that they are not charging you. Put the money aside each month. When they finally catch up with you, submit a formal complaint about their billing system, and demand compensation in the form of a reduction.
    • Lorian
    • By Lorian 14th Aug 18, 11:31 PM
    • 4,572 Posts
    • 2,628 Thanks
    Lorian
    • 14th Aug 18, 11:31 PM
    • 14th Aug 18, 11:31 PM
    It's Vodafone, it won't work much longer anyway
    • esuhl
    • By esuhl 15th Aug 18, 6:31 AM
    • 8,420 Posts
    • 6,193 Thanks
    esuhl
    • 15th Aug 18, 6:31 AM
    • 15th Aug 18, 6:31 AM
    This week's MoneySaver who wants advice asks...

I signed up for Vodafone fibre broadband and then changed my connection date. This seems to have confused its systems - the broadband works, but several months down the line I've realised I've not been charged.
    Originally posted by MSE Kelvin
    Okay. Was there supposed to be a question somewhere?
    • cooki2222
    • By cooki2222 15th Aug 18, 8:36 AM
    • 501 Posts
    • 233 Thanks
    cooki2222
    Okay. Was there supposed to be a question somewhere?
    Originally posted by esuhl
    Money Moral Dilemma: Should I keep quiet about my 'free' broadband?

Pretty much in the title of the thread
    • Kieren George
    • By Kieren George 15th Aug 18, 9:13 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Kieren George
    I would be very carful. I'm an independent Mortgage Advisor and one of the biggest barriers I see are defaults from utility & communication providers. If there is one outstanding on your credit file you will be automatically declined by most (if not all) high street lenders. Most clients that find they have these have no idea they were there and when they find out why feel they have been unfairly applied. It's not worth the risk if you ask me.
    • Bellisima
    • By Bellisima 15th Aug 18, 9:37 AM
    • 109 Posts
    • 147 Thanks
    Bellisima
    Tell them, otherwise it will bite you on the bum at a later date.........
    • cmotd
    • By cmotd 15th Aug 18, 11:45 AM
    • 18 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    cmotd
    Happened to me with another broadband supplier several years ago. I told them about their error by recorded delivery and secure message but they still didn't take payment for over a year.

I did the following to cover myself:
    1) kept copies and proof of delivery of my messages.
    2) kept hard copy of bank details to prove direct debit was active.
    3) paid the amount of the monthly bill into a savings account so it was readily available if needed to pay them in a lump sum, earning interest in the meantime.

They twigged eventually and started to send me threatening letters so I sent them one in return, saying I would report them to Ofcom and included all the proofs above. They apologized, wrote the debt off and gave me another 3 months free - result!

So, give them just one chance to put it right - if they don't start charging you after that then follow the bottom covering steps I have listed and all should be well.
    • Deerplay
    • By Deerplay 15th Aug 18, 11:54 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Deerplay
    Had a similar experience with a Sky broadband and TV bundle a while ago. Eventually decided to own up by phone after several months of agonising about it. They thanked me and waived the several months that they had missed payments. Still wonder if they would ever have realised. Saved me several hundred pounds though.
    • McClane54
    • By McClane54 15th Aug 18, 11:56 AM
    • 233 Posts
    • 57 Thanks
    McClane54
    I had it with sky for 3 years until I moved house, I wouldn't say anything
    • crmism
    • By crmism 15th Aug 18, 7:50 PM
    • 128 Posts
    • 69 Thanks
    crmism
    Broadband
    I imagine that, sooner or later, Vodafone will discover their oversight, but capitalizing on a genuine error isn't cricket, is it? Wouldn't it be better all round and honest on your part if you drew the mistake to their attention? After all, you're getting what you wanted, and you must have expected to pay for the service when you ordered it.

If all other Vodafone customers in a similar situation kept quiet, it would only mean that it's income per customer would be likely to rise on reassessment to meet the extra costs of servicing. You might argue that Vodafone already makes good profits, but that's what it is in business for.
    • Malthusian
    • By Malthusian 16th Aug 18, 2:34 PM
    • 4,906 Posts
    • 7,904 Thanks
    Malthusian
    Ring up and tell them. If they don't start collecting the money within the month (along with the arrears), make a formal complaint. Keep complaining until they collect what is owed.

They will collect the money eventually and any marginal benefit for holding onto the money is not worth the hassle of keeping track of how much the debt is, the potential for a mark on your credit file or the stress of eventually getting threatening letters.
    • Patricia01
    • By Patricia01 18th Aug 18, 11:55 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    Patricia01
    Put the cash aside - perhaps in an ISA. You're under no obligation to tell them, but have the money ready just in case.
    • Ebenezer_Screwj
    • By Ebenezer_Screwj 14th Sep 18, 3:53 PM
    • 420 Posts
    • 229 Thanks
    Ebenezer_Screwj
    Vodaphone won't let you get away with that indefinitely! I would speak to them if I were you.
    • Mister G
    • By Mister G 14th Sep 18, 4:28 PM
    • 791 Posts
    • 468 Thanks
    Mister G
    Vodaphone won't let you get away with that indefinitely! I would speak to them if I were you.
    Originally posted by Ebenezer_Screwj
    Ah yes, but we are talking about Vodafone here, not Vodaphone!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

367Posts Today

5,325Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Thank you to the team at the Westen eye hospital a&e. I scratched my eye ball in my sleep, then woke up with pain.? https://t.co/VJMwQfsRxv

• I've just heard about the 8 month pregnant woman shot through the stomach by a crossbow. Its both evil and medie? https://t.co/hQTOxWiXhj

• Major new guide... Brexit, what it means for you and your finances: M mortgages, savings, flights, consumer rights? https://t.co/SXCMG2qXwX

• Follow Martin